Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2011, 06:13 PM   #981
wedge421
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So this might be a very stupid question so I apologize but do the FWH hops come out once you start your boil? Or do they stay in the entire boil? Im just thinking they would contribute to more bitterness if they are left in or is that thinking not correct?

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #982
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrookeiv View Post
Well, just picked up my 5 gallon Jerrican and a 5 1/2" diameter stainless steel funnel. No chill here I come!

Links to items:
Jerrican: http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/ite...ickid=redirect
Funnel: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-2-Inch-...7280938&sr=8-2
Brewed up an AK47 Pale Mild last Friday night, funneled it into the Jerrican as soon as I finished the boil, and let it cool overnight. Pitched the next morning at 80F before I went out of town for 2 days, came back and it was bubbling away! Can't wait to see how this turns out.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 02-17-2011, 06:25 PM   #983
smiths9312
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge421 View Post
So this might be a very stupid question so I apologize but do the FWH hops come out once you start your boil? Or do they stay in the entire boil? Im just thinking they would contribute to more bitterness if they are left in or is that thinking not correct?
They are kept in during the entire boil. However, I don't think FWH are used very much in No Chill brewing. I see a lot of flame out additions though.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:21 PM   #984
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I use them all the time. They are another way to get flavor and bittering into a brew. Try it, you'll like it. Just be sure you're calculating the IBUs right. Sometimes I forgo the bittering addition and just add that all as FWH.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 02-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #985
jds

Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
I use them all the time. They are another way to get flavor and bittering into a brew. Try it, you'll like it. Just be sure you're calculating the IBUs right. Sometimes I forgo the bittering addition and just add that all as FWH.
I do this a lot. I don't really adjust the quantity much for the FWH addition, but I often add some of the same hops at flameout (in a no-chill brew) to bring back some of the hop flavor. I think having the flavor increases the perception of bitterness, although that's a totally unsubstantiated opinion based purely on my own palate.

Old 02-27-2011, 10:14 PM   #986
wedge421
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Just brewed my first No Chill batch. A simcoe IPA. Everything went really smooth, I cant believe how much time it cuts off. My only concern now is the container I put the beer in is bulging at the sides. Ill trust you guys that it wont blow up, I bought the Winpak plastic cylinder. Ill let you know how it turns out

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 02-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #987
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 109

push all the air out again, i have to burp mine like once or twice.

just did a no chill AG version of dogfish heads orange wheat, i do love me some no chill, cuts SOOOO much time off of my brew days. i love it!

Coming up
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 02-28-2011, 12:12 AM   #988
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge421 View Post
Just brewed my first No Chill batch. A simcoe IPA. Everything went really smooth, I cant believe how much time it cuts off. My only concern now is the container I put the beer in is bulging at the sides. Ill trust you guys that it wont blow up, I bought the Winpak plastic cylinder. Ill let you know how it turns out
The Winpak is one tough puppy. It will be fine, just don't shake it or anything. Just move it around enough for the hot wort to touch all the surfaces.

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Old 03-04-2011, 08:16 PM   #989
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2779 Times on 2727 Posts
Likes Given: 121

Went to order the jerry cans from US plastics and they're "On Order". Damn. Wanted to order two 5G's and a 3G. Realy need the 5G by next weekend to try my first no chill.

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 PM   #990
cruelkix
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
Went to order the jerry cans from US plastics and they're "On Order". Damn. Wanted to order two 5G's and a 3G. Realy need the 5G by next weekend to try my first no chill.
IP you have a kegging setup as I recall? Just use a corny keg and give it a blast of co2 while it chills. I do no chill brewing in my sanke kegs all the time and I dont even bother with a co2 blast. Haven't had a problem yet (10-15 batches of 10 gallons) and it takes 2 days for my beer to chill (*knocks on wood*).

Just cap teh corny and give a blast of co2 to get teh air out and then leave the pressure release valve open so taht as the beer chills it doesnt put a negative pressure on the keg. Then you can either transfer to a carboy or just ferment in the corny if you have the equipment. Spend the money on an extra keg instead of a plastic jug.

Quick Reply