Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-04-2010, 11:30 PM   #921
JumboBlimpJumbo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I've had good luck with the HDPE buckets but my lids are the really tight fitting ones that take a lot of force to put on and you basically have to pry off and they actually come with a gasket in them. The brand is True Brew and they have blue lids if that makes a difference. I've also left a decent amount of head space doing my no chills so I don't think the lids have gotten hot enough to deform at all.

When I first started brewing I had a different kind of bucket and I almost never saw much airlock activity so I know they weren't air tight. As long as air doesn't get in you're fine, and there's no reason it should unless you have a big temperature drop.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #922
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel View Post
Holy crap you're the MAN hal!!!

I just pulled my first pint of this and its fantastic!!!! No Chill for lagers is the way to go, because you can really get the wort down to proper temps before pitching. Here's my slighty tweaked recipe:

8 lbs Weyermann Pils -> 1.045 OG
1oz Vanguard 5.5% @ 60 min
.5oz Saaz 3.5% @ 30
.5oz Saaz 3.5% @ 5
Transfer to No Chill vessel at flameout
Saflager S-189 - 32qt starter up from a massive slurry
Pitched at 52F, krausen in 8 hours, ferm temps
Primary (52-54F) for 10 days,
Diacytl rest (65F) for 5 days
Secondary (35F) for 14 days, then kegged yesterday.

I can't believe how clean this beer is! Its a real LAGER!!

It definitely doesn't have the malty complexity of some of the German lagers I love, but this is a fantastic beer. No butter, no corn, no off flavors at all from the pint I just chugged. Smelled wonderful, sort of like sweet hay. I guess that's the pilsner malt coming through.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'll be making a 10 gallon batch this weekend myself. Which one is S-189? I'm not familiar with it. I'll be using W-34/70 for this batch.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #923
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I think it's mostly available as a commercial strain. Only 1-2 online shops sell it in homebrew sizes. I was lucky enough to have a friend bring me a slurry from a commercial brewery that he interns at.

From what I understand, its the US-05 of lager yeasts. Very clean, very minimal flavor contribution, doesn't really accentuate malt, etc.

I'll probably use it a few more times to make sure my process is tight, then I'll switch to the W-34/70 or the WLP830. I really want to make those malt-focused German lager styles.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 11-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #924
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 55 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I did a no-chill American brown and I dumped it boiling into my Ale Pail. I only did this because I was pushing out 2 beers that day; I normally pop the lid on and let it cool in the kettle. I had no trouble with the ale pale - that lid is a pain to get on and off. It happily bubbled away after pitching.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 11-11-2010, 03:38 AM   #925
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts

Ok so can someone describe exactly how to do FWH with this process? DO the hops go in the kettle as your are putting the wort in the boil kettle to start to boil? Or do they go in once the wort starts to boil for 60 mins? Thats the one sticking point to this im not getting. And on The Pols hop schedule, since he boils 90 mins and I only do 60 min boils, should I just start at the 60 min mark on it? Thanks for any help!

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Old 11-11-2010, 04:20 AM   #926
Jmarsh544
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 9

The fwh is added as the wort drains into the boil kettle. If you add the hops as the wort starts to boil it would be considered a normal 60 min addition (or a 40 min if using the pol's chart). I have had good luck to this point utilizing a 75 min boil, but have not yet pared it down to a 60 min.

Old 11-11-2010, 12:36 PM   #927
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

FWH is added to the kettle just before the sparge is started, they are then usually left in for the duration of the boil. If you are only FWHing for 60 minutes and you are doing a 90 minute boil then you can bag these as a seperate addition and remove them at the 30 minute mark, but I wouldn't read that much in to it.

http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2008/0...ng-techniques/

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 11-12-2010, 03:34 AM   #928
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

So basically its put the FWH hops into the kettle empty, start the sparge on top of those hops. I do 60 min boils so the hops would stay in the entire time. Seems like that is the preferred FWH method for No chill am i correct?

Old 11-12-2010, 05:01 AM   #929
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's exactly how FWH works. For some reason, hops added as FWH retain their flavor and aroma fairly well, so these replace your late additions, while still imparting bitterness as well.

Now, if you're doing Brew-in-a-Bag (single vessel brewing) in addition to no-chill, just throw the hops into the kettle after you remove your grain bag and let them steep while the bag drains. The hops might not get as much steep time as they do with more traditional practices, but you'll still get decent flavor and aroma out of them.

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 11-12-2010, 05:19 AM   #930
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Well here another thought, how the hell do you guys clean the krausen residue from the top of those 6 gallon us plastic vessels?!

Quick Reply