Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-23-2010, 06:40 PM   #901
hal2814
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel View Post
Can you tell me when & how you use the gelatin? Do you add it at the end of the primary and rack it off the gelatin into the keg? I assume you don't serve the beer from the keg with the gelatin in it.
You assume wrong I do my lagering in a corny keg. As soon as I cold crash my primary (a step I forgot to mention above), I rack the beer into the keg and add my gelatin. There's a sticky somewhere here on how to prepare the gelatin. After lagering, I usually don't bother to re-rack unless there's a good chance I'm going to have to take the keg with me somewhere. I just serve from my secondary and deal with the first pint of sludge.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2010, 12:36 AM   #902
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Alright! I brewed this today! Not sure my efficiency yet, but my pre-boil gravity was 1.050 with around 5 gal, so I think it will be perfect. I'm planning on dilluting it to 5.3 gal, shooting for 1.047 or so OG.

Check this out though, I got some commercial lager yeast this week: Fermentis S-189. The starter is krausened now, so I figure I'll chill, decant, and pitch tomorrow sometime.

Also, my LHBS's Saaz wasn't near 5.5AA, so I'm using and ounce of Vanguard at 5.4AA instead of the 60 min Saaz. I up'ed the 30 min Saaz addition to .75oz as well.

Very excited about this as its my first lager!

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 10-04-2010, 05:51 PM   #903
ghpeel
Recipes 

My gravity was 1.045 after I diluted the beer down to 5.3 gal. Close enough.

I pitched the starter last night at 11pm and had a bubbling airlock and a light krausen this morning at 7am. My yeast (S-189) was collected from an active fermentation, and I let it settle out in the fridge before stepping it up again with 32oz of wort from the brewday.

And best of all, the wort I decanted from the starter lasted like a lager!!! This impressed me greatly for some reason.

QUESTION THOUGH:

Since this was a No Chill, all the cold break went into the fermenter. I don't mind if my first lager is sub-optimal, but going forward, does anybody remove the cold break when doing No Chill lagers?. If so, how?

Old 10-04-2010, 05:58 PM   #904
iijakii
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 150

Are you fermenting in your no-chill cube?

I have a stainless steel mesh strainer my GF originally got me for something cooking related, but it works great for pouring the wort through when I'm transferring from cube-primary.

But I'm also skeptical on if break material effects flavor at all.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:00 PM   #905
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I rack the cool wort from the no-chill container using an auto siphon. I find that most of the hopds and gunk stays at the bottom of the no-chill container and I don't worry about the little that does get sucked up. But I do ales. Congrats on going for a lager!

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:12 PM   #906
ghpeel
Recipes 

I'm fermenting in a carboy, not the cube. I poured from the cube into a sanitized bucket that was lined with a sanitized 5gal paint strainer bag. I pulled out the bag, which drags out any particles or hop bits, but it didn't seem fine enough to catch the cold break. There's a ton of break material in the carboy settling down to the bottom now. The liquid above the break does look quite clear though, compared to my warmer-fermented ales.

Old 10-05-2010, 01:42 PM   #907
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel View Post
I'm fermenting in a carboy, not the cube. I poured from the cube into a sanitized bucket that was lined with a sanitized 5gal paint strainer bag. I pulled out the bag, which drags out any particles or hop bits, but it didn't seem fine enough to catch the cold break. There's a ton of break material in the carboy settling down to the bottom now. The liquid above the break does look quite clear though, compared to my warmer-fermented ales.
That's exactly what I do (strain with a bag in a bucket) and I have no issues with off flavor or clarity. I do use gelatin though so that might have something to do with it.

Old 10-05-2010, 02:22 PM   #908
ghpeel
Recipes 

Ok cool hal. I'll do the gelatin as described and RDWHAHB.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:28 PM   #909
ghpeel
Recipes 

The lager is almost done fermenting I think. Gravity was at 1.018 last night, still bubbling but the krausen is starting to fall. Sample tasted great! Well, for 5 day old beer anyway. I tried to see if I could pick up any DMS but I have no idea what I'm tasting for.

Old 10-28-2010, 11:33 PM   #910
Dwain
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I've read most of this thread and even contributed, but I have a question and didn't quickly see the answer. Has anyone used a 15 gal. Sanke to no chill in? My plan is to go from the boil kettle directly to the Sanke and cork it. Wait several days, pitch it and let it ferment out. I have been doing a "bastardized" version and draining the boil kettle through a high volume chiller to pull the wort down to about 120F and fermenting in 2 pony kegs. I do not want to split this batch and want to see if I can eliminate the high volume chiller step. I know the purpose of the cube is partially to withstand the vacuum created by the wort cooling. Will the Sanke withstand this? I'll continue to read through, but thanks for the help. - Dwain

Quick Reply