Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2010, 11:16 AM   #771
wyzazz
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Yes, and that is the point...
Then again, I guess all that stuff would just settle out normally and you'd be left with less beer anyway. You wouldn't lose as much the "traditional" way but I guess that just means you have to brew more!
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-31-2010, 02:16 AM   #772
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Then again, I guess all that stuff would just settle out normally and you'd be left with less beer anyway. You wouldn't lose as much the "traditional" way but I guess that just means you have to brew more!
The byproducts, some of them, that the Burton method removes from the beer, dont settle out. Some of that stuff remains apparently and changes the properties of the brew. I dunno, worth checking out!

Old 01-31-2010, 12:46 PM   #773
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
The byproducts, some of them, that the Burton method removes from the beer, dont settle out. Some of that stuff remains apparently and changes the properties of the brew. I dunno, worth checking out!
Pol - I am starting to lean towards your way of thinking on this one, but more for the sake of efficiency.

I found out with my first no chill a corny will actually hold about 5 1/4 or so gallons if you fill it right up to the top. My thought is to brew and do the no-chilling in a corny keg (like I have been). Take the gas post off and ferment in the same keg, then do a keg to keg transfer when it's all done, throwing the first cup or so out.

Should net you about 4 3/4 or so gallons in the finished keg is my best guess.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 02-01-2010, 01:49 PM   #774
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I was looking through my worn copy of the Joy of Homebrewing and in the all grain section, before starting with the littany of recipies, Papazzian actually does suggest that you can add hot wort to a 'sufficiently heated' carboy and then let that cool to room temp. He also notes that brewers may leave the wort to cool for many hours before pitching if other forms of cooling aren't available.

I dont think its a good idea to mix glass, heat and boiling wort. But, apparently people have been kicking these alternatives around for a long time.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:38 PM   #775
TwoHeadsBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I recently purchased some Sanke Keg Fermenter kits, and a couple used Sanke kegs from the scrapyard. For my next brew, I was thinking how wonderful it would be to not worry one bit about cooling the wort. I could just transfer the boiling wort into the sanke keg, and clamp on the dip tube assembly. The only worry I have is that as the wort cools, air could be sucked into the keg thorugh the airlock port. Not sure what I'd use to cap this off, but it seems like whenever I un-capped it, the air would rush in and possibly inject airborne wild yeast/bacteria into the wort. Any ideas?

For reference, this is the setup I'll be using:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/sanke-fermenter-conversion-128262/

Fermenting: ESB
Kegged: Extra IPA, Brown Ale, American Wheat, Blackheart Stout
Coming Up: Dunkleweizen, 3C Pale Ale

DIY Fermentation Chamber
More Brew Stuff

Old 02-01-2010, 06:02 PM   #776
tbeard
Recipes 

Just to clear up any confusion, My hot wort method does not sanitize the carboy, that must be done before any wort is added, my method is just another precaution against airborne yeasts and bacteria, as the hot wort in the carboy is generally too hot for wild yeasts and bacterias to thrive.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:27 PM   #777
smiths9312
Recipes 

[QUOTE=TwoHeadsBrewing;1852609]I recently purchased some Sanke Keg Fermenter kits, and a couple used Sanke kegs from the scrapyard. For my next brew, I was thinking how wonderful it would be to not worry one bit about cooling the wort. I could just transfer the boiling wort into the sanke keg, and clamp on the dip tube assembly. The only worry I have is that as the wort cools, air could be sucked into the keg thorugh the airlock port. Not sure what I'd use to cap this off, but it seems like whenever I un-capped it, the air would rush in and possibly inject airborne wild yeast/bacteria into the wort. Any ideas?

QUOTE]

Wrap aluminum foil around the ports or use a cotton ball held on by foil.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:39 PM   #778
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
I recently purchased some Sanke Keg Fermenter kits, and a couple used Sanke kegs from the scrapyard. For my next brew, I was thinking how wonderful it would be to not worry one bit about cooling the wort. I could just transfer the boiling wort into the sanke keg, and clamp on the dip tube assembly. The only worry I have is that as the wort cools, air could be sucked into the keg thorugh the airlock port. Not sure what I'd use to cap this off, but it seems like whenever I un-capped it, the air would rush in and possibly inject airborne wild yeast/bacteria into the wort. Any ideas?

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/sanke-fermenter-conversion-128262/

How about some paper towel or cotton gauze, soaked in Star San and sprayed occasionally to keep moist?

Old 02-01-2010, 07:40 PM   #779
giligson
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
...The only worry I have is that as the wort cools, air could be sucked into the keg thorugh the airlock port. Not sure what I'd use to cap this off, but it seems like whenever I un-capped it, the air would rush in and possibly inject airborne wild yeast/bacteria into the wort. Any ideas?...

Two thoughts come to mind:
1) could you rig up a connection to your CO2 tank (if you force carb)
2) use an inline sterile filter with one of these disposable filters on your vent in line:
http://www.google.com/products?q=sterile+filter+syringe&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=tjtnS5eYI4WwswOOgtWdAw&sa=X&oi=product_result _group&ct=title&resnum=3&ved=0CC8QrQQwAg

Used in medicine/surgery - you don't need the ones use to sterilize fluids but the cheaper ones that are used for drawing up sterile air.

We who are about to Brew, salute you!

Old 02-01-2010, 07:47 PM   #780
MultumInParvo
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipscman View Post
I think, offhand, that the only problem would be oxidizing the wort while in the pot. When you put it in a Winpak, e.g., it contracts as it cools and forces all of the oxygen out. Whether it makes a big difference for home brewers is the question.

Do you whirlpool when it is cold or? How do you handle the removal of hot break?
I haven't had any noticeable oxidation. Air clearly enters since the wort is cooling (and therefore contracting) so air from outside flows in through the top of the lid. However, I doubt that this small amount can really change much. At least for me I cannot tell.

I do a little whirlpool when it is hot, then just use an Auto Siphon about 18 hours later. Nearly all of the hot break is settled out and I just siphon off the top. Hop debris and whatnot left in the pot.

Quote:
I think I am actually going to start fermenting in Cornies...[/I][/B]
I think you should do it. That way I can say that The Pol started using one of his methods AFTER I did.

But seriously. I love fermenting in a corny. There is a handle so they're easy to move around. They're completely shielded from light. You can transfer under pressure (and even pressure ferment). They take up a smaller floor space and therefore more fit in my brewing closet. You can clean them with practically anything. If you want to you can keep your beer in the same vessel from brew day until consumption. They're nearly impossible to 'break'. And the list goes on...

I am personally using a defoaming agent much like Ferm Cap S and I am doing 4.5 gallon batches. No problems at all here. Although mimicking a Burton style fermenter with a blow off would be interesting. I have my next 2 brews already planned, but when I do another Mild I'll use a blow off and compare it to my past Milds...

Quick Reply