Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-29-2009, 04:40 PM   #601
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Well, I have two no chill containers both of which are full with beer and it's too early to transfer out of them. So this weekend I will atempt a no chill in a bucket fermenter. Must admit that I'm a little nervous. Plan on doing the sanitized cottonball in the airlock hole. Seems some people have had good success with it.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-29-2009, 04:42 PM   #602
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
Kegged my first no-chill/no-sparge brew yesterday. Gravity sample was great. Couldn't tell the difference in taste vs my chilled house ale since I adjusted the hop schedule.
You and the Pol have completely changed my brewing setup. I've done 2 no sparge and probably around 10 no chill beers. Haven't kegged any of the no sparge beers yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. The samples taste great.

Primary: RIS, Flanders Red, Berliner Weisse

On Tap: Brown Ale, American Stout, Pumpkin Porter, Pale Ale, Uncle Muscle's IPA, Rowsdower Canadian Dry Stout

Bottled: Berliner Weisse

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 11-02-2009, 03:08 PM   #603
ibbones
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
You and the Pol have completely changed my brewing setup. I've done 2 no sparge and probably around 10 no chill beers. Haven't kegged any of the no sparge beers yet, but I'm really looking forward to it. The samples taste great.
Yeah, I haven't done the no sparge (still need a pump) but the no-chill was great. I only have one and it's still in the bucket doing it's think but I can tell that I'm going to be doing this from now on. I bought two of the winpak's so I can have two going at once and if I want to secondary, I will have a bucket to use.

"BONES"

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:44 PM   #604
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 12

I've now completed and tasted 5 no-chill brews.
English Pale Ale;
American Amber Ale;
Pumpkin Ale based on same Pale Ale above;
American Light Ale;
Outback Honey Ale (honey-centric pale ale);
and a Robust Porter;

Each brew has its merits. The first two were cloudy, but I used NO FININGS in the boil. The others are respectably clear after judicious use of irish moss and/or whirfloc.

None have given me botchulism, though some have given me a hangover.

I've got a kolsch coming up. No-chill has really made my brewing time a lot more manageable.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 11-04-2009, 01:56 PM   #605
OLDBREW
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

So basically what you are doing is making a watery hopped extract(wort). Storing it in a sealed container. Then opening the container at a later date and adding yeast.

Sounds like a case of old extract verses fresh to me, with a chance of getting violently ill.

Wonder what a side by side blind tasting of a fresh batch (identical recipe/yeast) and the month or two old "no chill", fermented at the same time as the fresh wort batch, and bottled or kegged the same would compare to one another. You would want certified beer judges doing the evaluations.

My money would be on the fresh wort chilled quickly, then fermented right away winning

Old 11-04-2009, 03:27 PM   #606
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDBREW View Post
Sounds like a case of old extract verses fresh to me, with a chance of getting violently ill.
My money would be on the fresh wort chilled quickly, then fermented right away winning
Read the thread. Read some of the Aussie forums. No one has had that experience.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:50 AM   #607
smiths9312
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLDBREW View Post
So basically what you are doing is making a watery hopped extract(wort). Storing it in a sealed container. Then opening the container at a later date and adding yeast.

Wonder what a side by side blind tasting of a fresh batch (identical recipe/yeast) and the month or two old "no chill", fermented at the same time as the fresh wort batch, and bottled or kegged the same would compare to one another. You would want certified beer judges doing the evaluations.

It is amazing how the detractors of no chill haven't actually made a no chill beer. How fresh do you want your beer? The very same beer you happily let ferment in primary or secondary for 4 weeks to 9 months? Then wait patiently for it to carb for another month. Then bottle condition. Is it old? Is it stale? Is it bad because it is less fresh than the BMC you can pick up in the supermarket? Will certified beer judges ask for a born on date?

Some people brew no chill. It's an easier process. It takes less equipment. It uses less water. If you want to chill, go for it, your beer will be ready one day before mine is. I don't believe you will find any other difference.

Come on in, the beer is fine.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:53 AM   #608
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

People ignorant of a method, often dont sound awfully intelligent when discussing it. This has been going on for almost a year here on HBT

I love no chill brewing, and I also use a closed system wort cooling process sometimes, I see no difference.

Old 11-05-2009, 01:03 PM   #609
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Is anyone here actually storing wort long term before pitching? I'm curious as to why people may want to do that. I'm not saying there's not a good reason. I just haven't thought of it. And if it's a good reason, I may want to try it

Old 11-05-2009, 01:57 PM   #610
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've stored one for just under a month.

There are reports of 6-9 months with no problems.

Quick Reply