Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-19-2009, 02:21 AM   #591
juvinious
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

Whatever it takes to get the job done I'd say. I really enjoy the fact that I can no chill on those days that I'm pressed for time, otherwise I'll chill with my shirron. Having options is always a good thing and makes the whole brewing process that more enjoyable.

Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-20-2009, 03:30 AM   #592
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvinious View Post
Whatever it takes to get the job done I'd say. I really enjoy the fact that I can no chill on those days that I'm pressed for time, otherwise I'll chill with my shirron. Having options is always a good thing and makes the whole brewing process that more enjoyable.
Yep, here's to using what works

While I love no-chill, and it works for 95% of my beers, I just can't get the same hop flavor and aroma in highly hopped beers unless I chill. For my IIPA, I used 3 gallons of ice in plastic containers to get the temp below 110F quickly, which seems to have preserved the hops I'm looking for.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:34 AM   #593
smellysell
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I love no chill, just gone done pitching yeast in 3 different beers!

I heart sour beer

Old 10-29-2009, 12:05 AM   #594
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I just tasted my first no-chill brew. It was a Munich/SAAZ SMaSH. It was good and I did not die; imagine that!

My question is with the Pol's hop schedule (easy Pol, I am just asking a question!) Please explain "cube hopping". Do you put the hops in the cube, then put the hot wort in? That's it? Most of my recipes call for hops @ 20 min so this is HUGE for me.

Wait, I feel funny, maybe its botulism.... wait I just burped, ok better now.

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Old 10-29-2009, 12:14 AM   #595
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson View Post
I just tasted my first no-chill brew. It was a Munich/SAAZ SMaSH. It was good and I did not die; imagine that!

My question is with the Pol's hop schedule (easy Pol, I am just asking a question!) Please explain "cube hopping". Do you put the hops in the cube, then put the hot wort in? That's it? Most of my recipes call for hops @ 20 min so this is HUGE for me.

Wait, I feel funny, maybe its botulism.... wait I just burped, ok better now.
With Cube Hops, I transfer the wort to the cube, throw the hops in, and put the lid on. I guess it makes no difference whether you add wort to hops or hops to wort.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 10-29-2009, 12:17 AM   #596
McCuckerson
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
With Cube Hops, I transfer the wort to the cube, throw the hops in, and put the lid on. I guess it makes no difference whether you add wort to hops or hops to wort.
And that gives you the same flavor/aroma as hops at 20? Pol is watching, I can feel it.

"Real men drink their freakin' yeast starters...."

Old 10-29-2009, 12:19 AM   #597
chefchris
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCuckerson View Post
And that gives you the same flavor/aroma as hops at 20? Pol is watching, I can feel it.
Pretty close. I usually resort to dry hopping for aroma and FWH for flavor bombs.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Old 10-29-2009, 03:39 PM   #598
explosivebeer
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
You also had me intrigued so I referenced Brew Science, here's what they have to say on cold break:

Even more, and possibly more interesting:

This one is a little bit more up to date than a 80's homebrew book, and to be honest all in all it sure doesn't give much of a reason to knock no-chill... and possibly even preferred, but to me that would have to be tested in my own beer(if I preferred it).
Nice work doing that research z987k. That, along with the pictures of the beer and a few of the other posts definitely help assuage my concern for the no-chill option. I'm still a little leary of oxidation and other problems that may stem from having extra proteins and other things left in suspension but it sounds like this would probably work for a wide range of beers especially if you're not planning on aging them long-term.

"I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer."
-Abraham Lincoln

Old 10-29-2009, 04:32 PM   #599
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts

Kegged my first no-chill/no-sparge brew yesterday. Gravity sample was great. Couldn't tell the difference in taste vs my chilled house ale since I adjusted the hop schedule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-29-2009, 04:35 PM   #600
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Good job Sacc... nice to see you in this thread.

Quick Reply