Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2009, 07:50 PM   #541
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

Grain bill (3 gallon batch size)

3.00 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
1.00 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
1.00 lb Vienna Malt (3.5 SRM) Grain 16.67 %
0.50 lb Wheat, Raw, Winter Red (1.7 SRM) Grain 8.33 %

Just in case anyone is interested, I did a 90 minute boil.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #542
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Interesting results, though with all of the success that people have doing NC, I have a hard time chalking up a failed brew to the use of NC.

It isnt for everyone, but it is all that I have done this year and have had great success brewing beers that I have brewed multiple times in the past, coming out the same as they did when I used an IC.

I have a wheat beer on tap that was brewed with about 50% Pilsner malt that turned out fantastic. I have brewed this beer several times prior with an IC, but noticed no difference with the NC technique.

FWIW, there is a guy here that does A LOT of Pilsner based brews and has reported great success with his NC beers. He has posted here, maybe he will chime in.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:00 PM   #543
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 433 Times on 353 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I'm not definitively pointing the finger at NC, as there were other variables such as the fact that it was my first time doing a saison and the fermentation temps were out of my comfort zone, albeit appropriate for the style and yeast strain. What I would normally do is just redo the recipe without the no-chill to see if the results turn out similar. However, the yeast in question is a seasonal so I can't do the exact same recipe now. I might just try culturing a strain from the Saison Rue bottle in my fridge.

Old 09-28-2009, 02:24 AM   #544
avaserfi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Did my first no chill today, it is sitting inside cooling, I will give it over night and drop it in the cooler to ferment.

Right now the surface of my 6 gallon winpak is about 110 degrees. The vessel seems to be slowly shrinking, as expected. If I didn't know better I would think it would explode/crack and leak everywhere, glad others did the leg work, I would probably have to open it and let the suction die down a little out of fear. How much can I expect the winpak to shrink?

Whatever the case, thanks to everyone who has done this before me! It went great and clean up was a breeze.

Andrew

Old 09-28-2009, 03:17 AM   #545
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by avaserfi View Post
Did my first no chill today, it is sitting inside cooling, I will give it over night and drop it in the cooler to ferment.

Right now the surface of my 6 gallon winpak is about 110 degrees. The vessel seems to be slowly shrinking, as expected. If I didn't know better I would think it would explode/crack and leak everywhere, glad others did the leg work, I would probably have to open it and let the suction die down a little out of fear. How much can I expect the winpak to shrink?

Whatever the case, thanks to everyone who has done this before me! It went great and clean up was a breeze.
About this much... congrats on your success!

Old 09-28-2009, 04:40 AM   #546
avaserfi
Recipes 

Likes Given: 5

Thanks for all the help, can't wait to pitch the yeast and get this thing going. It has been months since I have had a chance to brew. No chill really helped with the time issues. Now all I have left is unscrew a cap, toss in some yeast and put an airlock on. Easy.

Andrew

Old 09-28-2009, 11:08 AM   #547
dreadnatty08
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
I'm not definitively pointing the finger at NC, as there were other variables such as the fact that it was my first time doing a saison and the fermentation temps were out of my comfort zone, albeit appropriate for the style and yeast strain. What I would normally do is just redo the recipe without the no-chill to see if the results turn out similar. However, the yeast in question is a seasonal so I can't do the exact same recipe now. I might just try culturing a strain from the Saison Rue bottle in my fridge.
You can definitely culture that yeast, but keep in mind there's Brett in those bottles. If you can still find Trade Winds (their summer seasonal), it's the same yeast sans Brett. I just did my first no chill last week. Did you taste your saison along the way and notice those flavors, or did that only begin to appear after it was bottled?

_______
My Blog: City Brewer

Old 09-28-2009, 07:44 PM   #548
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

So I read through this entire thread last night...... yeah took forever. I was wondering if anyone had a link for the aussie homebrewing forum where they are discussing this. Everyone mentions the aussie forum but I don't remember seeing a link. Just researching this to possibly try it in the future but would like more info if possible.

Old 09-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #549
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scut_Monkey View Post
So I read through this entire thread last night...... yeah took forever. I was wondering if anyone had a link for the aussie homebrewing forum where they are discussing this. Everyone mentions the aussie forum but I don't remember seeing a link. Just researching this to possibly try it in the future but would like more info if possible.
wiki

discussion

Old 09-28-2009, 08:58 PM   #550
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Thanks Chucke

Quick Reply