Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-15-2009, 06:57 PM   #481
Dr_Deathweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnj View Post
I just brewed on Sunday and didn't chill my beer. I probably did everything wrong, but it's all documented and I'm having fun and that's what matters to me.

I left the two kettles on the stove (I'm in an apt.) until the temp was around 180, then I poured both kettles into my six gallon bucket. I didn't have any means to slowly drain the wort, so I got plenty of oxygen in my hot wort.

I hooked up a blow off tube and as the temp dropped, I watched the sanitizer from the blow off bucket get sucked slowly up the tube and the bucket lid was showing serious signs of contraction from the cooling wort. When I woke up the next morning, the bucket was no longer contracted so I suspect my sanitizer was sucked into my bucket.

When the temp was at 78-80, I poured it onto a fresh Nottingham yeast cake. Then I put the bucket into a rubber tote with the blow off tube, water and some ice. The temp dropped down to mid 50's so I guess I used too much ice.

It's now sitting at 64 and bubbling heavily.

I had a lot of fun doing this and it's probably the first time in 40 plus brewing sessions that I truely was able to RDWHAHB.

What is the difference between the two containers listed in the OP? I realize one comes in only a 5 gallon (and smaller) size, is that the only main difference? They are half the cost, and I would love to purchase one if they work for this method.

Size and intended use are the big difference between them. the winpacks are about 6 gallons, so you can no chill, then pitch your yeast and ferment directly in them the next day. No second container. The stackable 5 gallon cans that I use are airtight and I can rack hot wort in them, squeeze out any headspace, seal, and store for long periods of time until I have room in my fermentation cabinet to ferment appropriatly. This is the method the Aussies developed and I have been using the last dcouple of months.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-17-2009, 02:23 PM   #482
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Is there a no-chill variation where one uses a plain-Jane ferm bucket instead of a cube?

What are the differences?

Thanks,

Old 09-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #483
DerBraumeister
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucke View Post
Is there a no-chill variation where one uses a plain-Jane ferm bucket instead of a cube?

Thanks,
Well, last monday I took the plunge.

I turned off the stove, whirlpooled and let it sit for 10 minutes and then racked to a polypropylene fermentation bucket using a silicon hose. It took a mere 3 and a half hours between doughing in and till I had the wort in the bucket.

I pitched at 10 o clock next evening and at 11 the following morning pressure was building up in the airlock. At 6 in the afternoon the airlock had some gunk in it, but the bubbling was quite modest. I guess something pretty vigorous must have happened in the mean time.

To further simplify my process, I have now found out that it is not necessary to aerate the wort if you are using dry yeast.

Old 09-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #484
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Once you transfer the hot wort, do you cap the bucket with the normal cap... which has a hole for the airlock?

If so, how is the airlock capped?

When the wort cools it will suck air in. How is this addressed?

Thanks,

Old 09-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #485
DerBraumeister
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Once you transfer the hot wort, do you cap the bucket with the normal cap... which has a hole for the airlock?

Thanks,
Cooling over night in a regular fermentation bucket, is pretty common practice in the German homebrewing scene. Most use the regular lid and stuff the airlock with alcohol/sanitizer wetted cotton.

What I did was to fold a piece of aluminium foil loosely over the airlock. The bacteria travels with the dust, and dust usually doesn't move upwards in the air, especially not when the airflow under the aluminum foil is 1 quart in 14 hours. But well see in a few weeks how well this worked out

Old 09-17-2009, 03:25 PM   #486
MMW
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:

Thanks,
Quote:

Thanks,
I've done just that on several beers now. Sometimes I sanitize the thermometer that came with my turkey fryer and stick that down in the hole-- burp it a couple of times if you think you need to but I haven't found the need. Seriously, in a 6.5 gallon bucket the pressure is like 4-6 psi difference between the outside and the inside of the bucket-- no big deal. After it cools, I rack and aerate into a carboy and pitch yeast.

I've also used a airlock with foil over it (no fluid) and sanitized foil with a quarter on top.

easy.

Primary:A simple Bock, Vienna

Bottled: Centennial Blonde, Mostly Dead Guy Ale, Pale Rye Ale

On Deck: waiting...

Old 09-17-2009, 04:28 PM   #487
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Ah- simple enough.

Thanks guys.

Old 09-17-2009, 08:09 PM   #488
pnj
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 6 Posts

why not use a lid with no airlock hole?

Old 09-17-2009, 08:23 PM   #489
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnj View Post
why not use a lid with no airlock hole?
Cooling in a sealed container causes extreme vacuum. Buckets can buckle.

Old 09-20-2009, 07:04 AM   #490
smellysell
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Just brewed up a saison that's cooling down in my winpack as I type. First time using some of the wort for a starter so we'll see how that goes (usually use slants so I have to get them going earlier).

I heart sour beer

Quick Reply