Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!


Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-03-2009, 02:40 PM   #411
DerBraumeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central Europe
Posts: 80
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

OK thanks for your answer, version 2

Here is the recipe I will be using (6 gal) :

8.8 lb Pale Ale Malt
1.1 lb Malted Wheat
0.7 lb Melanoidin Malt
1 oz chocolate 250L

Hop Schedule:
FWH: 33 gr Hallertauer Hersbrücker 2% AA, 5 IBU
Bittering addition at 60 Min:15 gr / Hallertauer Perle 10% AA, 18 IBU
Flavouring addtion at 5 Min: 33gr Tettnanger 4.1%, 11 IBU
Cube Addition: 15 gr Hallertauer Hersbrücker 2%, 1 IBU

Total 34 IBU

Better?

I will also be dryhopping with either Hallertauer Hersbrücker or Tettnanger

__________________
DerBraumeister is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 02:46 PM   #412
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,616
Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBraumeister View Post
OK thanks for your answer, version 2

Here is the recipe I will be using (6 gal) :

8.8 lb Pale Ale Malt
1.1 lb Malted Wheat
0.7 lb Melanoidin Malt
1 oz chocolate 250L

Hop Schedule:
FWH: 33 gr Hallertauer Hersbrücker 2% AA, 5 IBU
Bittering addition at 60 Min:15 gr / Hallertauer Perle 10% AA, 18 IBU
Flavouring addtion at 5 Min: 33gr Tettnanger 4.1%, 11 IBU
Cube Addition: 15 gr Hallertauer Hersbrücker 2%, 1 IBU

Total 34 IBU

Better?

I will also be dryhopping with either Hallertauer Hersbrücker or Tettnanger
I dont know about your total IBUs... this is a point of contention with FWHing beers. Personally, and others can chime in... I have found a FWH addition equals about the same # of percievable IBUs as a 30 minute addition.

Dry hopping for aroma will be best with a no chill beer.

This looks better IMHO for a no chill beer than before. Remember though that your flavor addition at 5 minutes will be like a 25 minute addition.

This seems like a pain in the beginning, but really when you use the simple chart, it is easy to modify the additions to match the final outcome of any recipe.
__________________
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 02:57 PM   #413
DerBraumeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Central Europe
Posts: 80
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I used the graph, I was going for Tettnanger for flavour and Hallertauer Hersbrücker for Aroma. The 5 minute Tettnanger addition was supposed to be a normal 30 min flavour addition and the FWH addition a 5 or 10 minute aroma one. The bitterness was calculated by adding 20 minutes to the actual boil time (Tinseth).

I used a 20 min. boil time for FWH for an apparent estimation of bitterness.

__________________
DerBraumeister is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-03-2009, 03:04 PM   #414
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 11,616
Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerBraumeister View Post
I used the graph, I was going for Tettnanger for flavour and Hallertauer Hersbrücker for Aroma. The 5 minute Tettnanger addition was supposed to be a normal 30 min flavour addition and the FWH addition a 5 or 10 minute aroma one. The bitterness was calculated by adding 20 minutes to the actual boil time (Tinseth).

I used a 20 min. boil time for FWH for an apparent estimation of bitterness.
Sounds good...
__________________
The Pol is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 02:53 AM   #415
Jmarsh544
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Santa Barbara, CA
Posts: 202
Liked 21 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Default

I no-chill brewed 10 gallons of Ed's haus pale ale and had a quick question. I moved the five min addition to FWH and the 20 min addition to flame out. I added the flame out hops to the boil kettle when shutting off the flame and waited the typical 15 mins before draining into my 6 gallon HDPE fermentor. My question is did I miss a lot of the flame out hop flavor (20 min bittering) by added to the wort and then draining away from the hops (most of the hops were left in the BK)? Would it have been better to add these hops to the 6 gallon fermentors for my flame out addition (20 min) or should I be fine?

__________________
Jmarsh544 is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 03:56 AM   #416
smellysell
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Helena, MT
Posts: 537
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default

Saw a bunch of the 1/4 barrel sankes at the scrap yard today and was thinking they'd make some great no chill fermenters. Any thoughts?

__________________
High Mountain Hoppers Homebrew Club

I heart sour beer
smellysell is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #417
ibbones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Victoria, Texas
Posts: 527
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

OK, I did this. I brewed my Holiday Ale from Austin Homebrew and then put it in the bucket to cool down more. My tap water is a cool 86* so it took me three ice baths to cool it down to the mid 90's. Then I let my bucket set in another ice bath overnight and pitched the next day.
Gonna brew up another batch this weekend and might try it again.

__________________

"BONES"

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

ibbones is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 03:29 PM   #418
Dr_Deathweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dr_Deathweed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bryan, Texas
Posts: 2,407
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones View Post
OK, I did this. I brewed my Holiday Ale from Austin Homebrew and then put it in the bucket to cool down more. My tap water is a cool 86* so it took me three ice baths to cool it down to the mid 90's. Then I let my bucket set in another ice bath overnight and pitched the next day.
Gonna brew up another batch this weekend and might try it again.

The point of no chill is to not use ice baths or chillers. Just put it in your bucket and forget about it for a day or two. You want it to stay hot so that the heat helps sterilize your container.
__________________

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Dr_Deathweed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 03:31 PM   #419
ibbones
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Victoria, Texas
Posts: 527
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathweed View Post
The point of no chill is to not use ice baths or chillers. Just put it in your bucket and forget about it for a day or two. You want it to stay hot so that the heat helps sterilize your container.
Thank you! I wasn't sure how it worked. Do I just pour it right from the boil pot into the bucket after flame-out?
__________________

"BONES"

Gun control is being able to hit your target.

ibbones is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-05-2009, 03:35 PM   #420
Dr_Deathweed
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Dr_Deathweed's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Bryan, Texas
Posts: 2,407
Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibbones View Post
Thank you! I wasn't sure how it worked. Do I just pour it right from the boil pot into the bucket after flame-out?
yep, straight from the boil.

I don't know how well the buckets work (After I created this thread the questions and comments took off faster than I could keep up, thank you Pol for keeping up with that), but I use plastic jerry cans or the Winpacks that are listed elsewhere in this thread because you can seal them airtight and they can handle the vacuum pressure that will be created by the cooling wort.
__________________

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Dr_Deathweed is offline
 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply


Quick Reply
Message:
Options
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
"American" or "Imperial" Oatmeal Stout Recipe: Critiques please! cladinshadows Recipes/Ingredients 4 01-04-2012 10:21 PM
Small Scale Commerical Brewing (600gal/mo) on "Beer Budget" GuateBrewer All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 5 11-02-2010 12:46 PM
"Video Surveillance on the Fly" or "Urine trouble now mister!" Tenchiro Debate Forum 1 05-23-2009 06:33 PM
NPR Fans: "The Science of Brewing" on Talk of the Nation tomorrow 2-3pm EDT tmoney1224 General Beer Discussion 37 05-21-2008 12:06 AM
Miller "Chill" casper0074 General Beer Discussion 5 09-30-2007 05:16 PM



Newest Threads