The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 04:45 PM   #391
The Pol
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by -TH- View Post
Pol, I was wondering, how confident are you with the accuracy of this chart? You mentioned that you will most likely be tweaking it a bit. The reason I ask is because I believe one of the keys to success for no-chill brewing is going to be the accuracy of the hops adjustment. What I would love to see is this chart be promoted to "gospel" designation, but I'm not sure what it would take to get there. Maybe other "no-chillers" can confirm these adjustments or is there some scientific explaination to back it up, etc.? What are your thoughts?
Meh, I dont care about gospel. As stated in the quote that you posted, it IS based on reading of the levels of isomerization taking place in the hot/cooling wort. (BYO MARCH '09) The rest is based on my experience and that of others who are actually doing this.

This is the chart I use, I will make some changes as my experience with this process increases. As for making this chart out to be more than what it is... I am not really interested. It is just a hobby, and people can experiment and innovate.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2009, 05:33 PM   #392
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

I'm sort of curious about the lookup table myself. I've noticed that in the summer I have to go easier on my hops and I wonder if the reason is the temperature my wort cools at. In the winter, it cools outside unless it's below freezing. Even inside, I leave it by the basement window to cool where it's generally no warmer than 60F. In the summer, it cools at 70F or more sometimes. It could be other factors, but I am adjusting for AA and using a decent enough scale for weighing the hops and that doesn't seem to matter.

Old 08-20-2009, 05:42 PM   #393
shek
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I think I'm going to give this a whirl after I get a few more AG batches under my belt.
Can anyone tell me their thoughts on using this container?
NEW Hedwin 5 GAL HDPE HEDPAK Container CARBOY 20L - eBay (item 400066179148 end time Sep-05-09 11:34:16 PDT)

Not sure if I'd try to ferment in there, but at least store it in there long enough to make a RWS. My local aquarium store sells the same carboys for dirt cheap.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:08 PM   #394
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by shek View Post
I think I'm going to give this a whirl after I get a few more AG batches under my belt.
Can anyone tell me their thoughts on using this container?
NEW Hedwin 5 GAL HDPE HEDPAK Container CARBOY 20L - eBay (item 400066179148 end time Sep-05-09 11:34:16 PDT)

Not sure if I'd try to ferment in there, but at least store it in there long enough to make a RWS. My local aquarium store sells the same carboys for dirt cheap.
That will work.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:09 PM   #395
gxm
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

shek - You don't need to buy a new container. I leave my wort covered in the boil kettle to cool. That way I can still use my many better bottles, and I don't have to move around very hot wort.
I probably wouldn't do this if I wanted to store the wort for weeks, but I've had no issues after 16 batches stored for up to 3 days.

Old 08-20-2009, 07:13 PM   #396
The Pol
Recipes 

You know Shek... if you are just putting it in the container to cool for say 24 hours, buy a 6 gallon Winpak from USPlastics and when it is cool, then pitch and ferment in that same container. The Winpaks make EXCELLENT fermentors. They are indestructible, light and have built in handles for carrying.

Old 08-20-2009, 08:26 PM   #397
Droot
Recipes 

And they stack.....

David

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Old 08-20-2009, 08:54 PM   #398
bakins
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
This is the chart I use, I will make some changes as my experience with this process increases. As for making this chart out to be more than what it is... I am not really interested. It is just a hobby, and people can experiment and innovate.
The chart has worked well for me. It forced me to actually FWH more often, which, it turns out, is a good thing

Old 08-30-2009, 08:24 PM   #399
Bernie Brewer
Grouchy Old Fart
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 109 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I first looked at this thread today. I admit I only skimmed over it, but it seems that most of you that are into the no-chill brewing are from southern states where the groundwater doesn't get very cold, especially in summer. In that situation, no-chill makes sense to me. My water, though, is plenty cold. I get ice cream headaches from it right out of the tap nine months of the year. So I'll stick with the old immersion chiller. But for you no-chillers, more power to you.

"Why don't we get drunk and screw?" Jimmy Buffett

Old 08-30-2009, 09:20 PM   #400
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

My water comes from a deep well and stays pretty cool year long.
Water temp isn't the reason I No-chill.

I use the method because of the flexibility it ads.
You can brew even if the ferm fridge is full.
You can brew even if you haven't prepared a yeast starter.
As a matter of fact, forget *making* a yeast starter... just divert some of the hot wort into another container for a real wort yeast starter.

Heat does come into play. I plan to brew like a crazy man this winter and spring to cube a good chunk of it. Next summer, I'll just ferment cubed worts with no need to brew in the hot, sticky Bama heat.

Quick Reply