Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2009, 11:51 PM   #381
donshizzles
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Hey bro, it was fun sharing the flight deck with you this week... you are a better pilot than the FO that came on afterward...

You CAN do that shizzle... typically before I pitch, I just shake the bejeeeses out of the Winpak.
Likewise bro! Its always a great sigh of relief when the CA is uber cool. Don't know the other FO so.....but thanks for the props!

Ok so I'm going to use a Winpak as a cooling vessel and then do what I had asked. Anything to avoid racking

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-19-2009, 12:07 AM   #382
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by donshizzles View Post
Likewise bro! Its always a great sigh of relief when the CA is uber cool. Don't know the other FO so.....but thanks for the props!

Ok so I'm going to use a Winpak as a cooling vessel and then do what I had asked. Anything to avoid racking
Ahh yes, we had discussed your aversion to racking back and forth to Denver! That is a sound option, do it, do it...

Old 08-19-2009, 12:14 AM   #383
donshizzles
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Ahh yes, we had discussed your aversion to racking back and forth to Denver! That is a sound option, do it, do it...
Oh its done.......in theory. Now its all about gathering the rest of the toys to make it happen.

Old 08-19-2009, 10:26 PM   #384
The Pol
Recipes 

Shizzle, your PM box is full....

Here is the info you requested.
QD's
6739K64 6 Each Hose Couplings For Coolant, Sleeve-lck Sckt X Barb, 3/8"cplg Sz,1/2"hose Id
6739K59 7 Each Hose Couplings For Coolant, Plug, 1/2" Nptf Male, 3/8" Coupling Size

The female ones have barbs on them for 1/2" ID hoses. These will be hose ends.

The MALE ones have a threaded end, a 1/2" male end. This will attach to your ball valves on your kettles.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:20 PM   #385
smellysell
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Did a Belgian Honey Rye in one of my winpaks a while back and was planning on using the yeast cake for a big wheatwine I'm doing this weekend. My concern is that there is a bunch of gunk in the cube other than yeast. Should I just build up a big starter instead?

I heart sour beer

Old 08-20-2009, 02:49 PM   #386
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysell View Post
Did a Belgian Honey Rye in one of my winpaks a while back and was planning on using the yeast cake for a big wheatwine I'm doing this weekend. My concern is that there is a bunch of gunk in the cube other than yeast. Should I just build up a big starter instead?
Why not do a quick yeast wash? That is what I am doing when I rack my Oktoberfeast off the S-04, then using that S-04 for the Spiced Holiday Ale that is coming up.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:05 PM   #387
smellysell
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Why not do a quick yeast wash? That is what I am doing when I rack my Oktoberfeast off the S-04, then using that S-04 for the Spiced Holiday Ale that is coming up.
So something like this? Add the water like I'm doing a normal wash and let it settle. Pour out the yeast into a big jug and let it settle again and then pour the yeast off of that directly into the fermenter?

I heart sour beer

Old 08-20-2009, 03:17 PM   #388
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellysell View Post
So something like this? Add the water like I'm doing a normal wash and let it settle. Pour out the yeast into a big jug and let it settle again and then pour the yeast off of that directly into the fermenter?
Yeah, something like that. Make sure the water that you use has been boiled, so there is no chance of infecting the yeast culture.

Swirl it around, pour it out into a jar or some clean container.

Let the JUNK settle out, the yeast will remain in suspension longer, you can then pour off the clean(er) yeast and re-use it.

You can either do this days-weeks in advance and store it in a sanitary environment.... or you can do this the day of, really, as the heavier junk particles will settle out rather quickly and you will get a much cleaner yeast sample to re-use.

Some people wash thier yeast several times before storing, but if you arent really storing it and want to simply clean it up, IMHO this procedure would be fine.

Old 08-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #389
-TH-
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
FWIW... this is the conversion tool that I have come up with (it will continue to be tweaked I am sure) to convert regular recipe hop additions to NO CHILL applications. This is based on some of my own experience and reading on continued isomerization in the hot wort after it is transferred to the no chill cube.

Yes, isomerization takes place even when hops are removed, the oils are in the wort, not the hops at this point.

Pol, I was wondering, how confident are you with the accuracy of this chart? You mentioned that you will most likely be tweaking it a bit. The reason I ask is because I believe one of the keys to success for no-chill brewing is going to be the accuracy of the hops adjustment. What I would love to see is this chart be promoted to "gospel" designation, but I'm not sure what it would take to get there. Maybe other "no-chillers" can confirm these adjustments or is there some scientific explaination to back it up, etc.? What are your thoughts?

Builds, etc: E-Brewery | Pneumatic Bottle Capper | Fermentation Chamber | Stirplate | Bottle Cabinet
Water Spreadsheet: www.EZWaterCalculator.com

Old 08-20-2009, 04:11 PM   #390
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Yeah, something like that. Make sure the water that you use has been boiled, so there is no chance of infecting the yeast culture.

Swirl it around, pour it out into a jar or some clean container.

Let the JUNK settle out, the yeast will remain in suspension longer, you can then pour off the clean(er) yeast and re-use it.
This works fine but I have found 2-4 weeks is as long as you should let it go before re-use, longer than that and you need a starter or you will have LONG lag times. For the wash liquid, cheap canned beer works great. Decant the liquid in the jar, dump into a sanitized container (large, 1 gallon-ish is ideal), dump in a few cans of swill. Swirl and let it sit for a few hours. There will be creamy yeast on top, which you pitch, stop pouring when you start getting darker junk which is dead yeast and trub.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply