Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-23-2009, 11:08 PM   #321
nostalgia
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I just picked up one of these at my local Campmor.

7 gallons, HDPE, built-in spigot, $13. I may try a simple recipe next week to test out the process.

-Joe

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-23-2009, 11:44 PM   #322
nostalgia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Burbing the air out, pretty important if you are STORING the wort. If you are simply pitching the next day, no need.
Just curiosity - if we're putting the wort in the container at near-boiling temps (read: way over pasteurization temps) does it matter if there's air in the headspace?

-Joe

Old 07-23-2009, 11:54 PM   #323
Droot
Recipes 

I got all out I could and stopped worrying. The head space did shrink as it cooled.

David

Yellow beer (pale ale) in keg

Chocolate stout In keg

Front Porch Porter in keg

weat beer and fruit in the conical

IPA of some kind on Deck!

I get more out of it when I put more into it. :)

Old 07-24-2009, 12:07 AM   #324
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by nostalgia View Post
I just picked up one of these at my local Campmor.

7 gallons, HDPE, built-in spigot, $13. I may try a simple recipe next week to test out the process.

-Joe
Careful, I bought one like that and it leaked air through the air vent when a little vacuum was place on it. Thats why I went with this container for storing wort:

Stackable Containers - US Plastic Corporation

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 07-24-2009, 12:20 AM   #325
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Hey, it just occurred to me that as a partial boil extract guy..... I probably dont want to use a 5 or 6 gallon winpack for no chill. My usual take from a one hour boil is 3.75 gallons. I guess maybe for extract, you'd want a 4 gallon or less winpack for the no-chill chilling, then add the wort and top up water to the regular fermenter the next day.

Hmm. US plastics doesn't seem to have something useful....

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:29 AM   #326
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

here is a 2.5gal one, it prob holds a touch more than that.
Stackable Containers - US Plastic Corporation

The 5 gallon ones become pretty soft when you put hot wort in them, and you could probably squeeze all the air out of one for a 4 gallon batch.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 07-24-2009, 05:05 AM   #327
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Just curiosity - if we're putting the wort in the container at near-boiling temps (read: way over pasteurization temps) does it matter if there's air in the headspace?

-Joe
If you are storing it, you dont want head space. It isnt nasties you are worried about, it is exposure to O2.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:32 PM   #328
nostalgia
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
If you are storing it, you dont want head space. It isnt nasties you are worried about, it is exposure to O2.
Ok, well that's my question then: why is exposure to O2 a problem? We want to oxygenate the yeast before pitching anyway, right? Or is there some subtle mechanism at work here that I'm missing?

Thanks,

-Joe

Old 07-24-2009, 12:35 PM   #329
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Quote:
Ok, well that's my question then: why is exposure to O2 a problem? We want to oxygenate the yeast before pitching anyway, right? Or is there some subtle mechanism at work here that I'm missing?

Thanks,

-Joe

O2 is good, but I dont beleive it is for long term storage of the wort. It is good for yeast, but they scrub it out pretty effectively. If you want a defiinitive answer though, best to go talk to the Aussies who store thier wort and have been for years. They make it a point to remove as much of the headpsace as possible, I only assume there is a good reason. Perhaps there isnt. Go ask the pros.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #330
nostalgia
Recipes 

Cool, I think I'll do just that Purging the headspace sounds like the right thing to do, I was just wondering if there was any further reasoning behind it. Being an engineer and all

I just ordered ingredients for the Irish red that will be my first no-chill. Looking forward to it!

-Joe

Quick Reply