Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2009, 04:45 AM   #201
chefchris
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Got it, thanks again. I will update when my first no chill is done. Still lacks about another 2 weeks.

I think you are confuisng circle k with a reach around. - Denny's Evil Concoctions

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2009, 03:45 PM   #202
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefchris View Post
Got it, thanks again. I will update when my first no chill is done. Still lacks about another 2 weeks.
Cool, I look forwad to hearing how it turned out.

Old 06-15-2009, 02:34 PM   #203
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

I just canceled my order for the time being. It seems they are waiting on the replacement caps to come in and the representative said it will be a couple of weeks. I'm looking for alternative locations in the mean time. I found a distributor list, although I'm not sure if any of the companies sale retail. Here is the info page about the product from that site. YMMV on getting some from a distributor if they have a retail department. Just wanted to put that info out there as it might be helpful for those who want to purchase from alternate locations if possible.

Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 06-15-2009, 07:04 PM   #204
matthendry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by juvinious View Post
I just canceled my order for the time being. It seems they are waiting on the replacement caps to come in and the representative said it will be a couple of weeks. I'm looking for alternative locations in the mean time. I found a distributor list, although I'm not sure if any of the companies sale retail. Here is the info page about the product from that site. YMMV on getting some from a distributor if they have a retail department. Just wanted to put that info out there as it might be helpful for those who want to purchase from alternate locations if possible.

This Winpack product is better for a No Chill container

Hedpak 5 and 6 Gallon Bottles for liquid storage and shelf dispensing - Hedwin Corporation

Old 06-15-2009, 09:53 PM   #205
juvinious
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 4 Posts

Hmm after searching up more info on these plastic containers it seems they meet some UN rating and there exist variations of the closed/tight head containers.

The rectangular ones are numbered: 3H1/Y1.8/100

The round ones are numbered: 1H1/Y1.8/100

Now after reading more on the product the max recommended temp of the liquid which can be placed in the container is between 160F and 180F.

If you do a search on those numbers you will find various plastic companies that offer them and their descriptions. Plus I also found them at varying prices which I've seen the 6 Gallon one as low as $10 which includes the cap. They all look the same, so I'm not sure how the winpaks vary in this regard since the ones listed on US plastics and Hedwin sites don't list their max temp rating. But do list it as 1H1 for the round one and 3H1 for the rectangular ones. While I'm not immediately too concerned because I want to give it a go I would like to see further information from prolonged use and on whether the continual introduction of 180F+ liquid would cause it to break down or deteriorate, eventually leading to off tastes in the beer.

Bottled: Pyment | Strawberry Melomel

Old 06-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #206
nostalgia
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 8

A couple of other options with good pricing:

Bottle Solutions

Container and packaging supply

The LDPE collapsible cubes from CPS are rated for 80C continuous and 95C for short periods - that's 176F to 203F - and the 5 gallon is only $5. The only problem is they have a $10 small order fee if your order is < $50.

-Joe

Old 06-19-2009, 07:03 PM   #207
leboeuf
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

If they're rated for 180F then I would have no problems putting 190F liquid in them. If that 160F to 180F rating is for continuous exposure then it's definitely not a concern. Storage containers are usually underspec'd by a decent margin. If Pol is getting to pitching temps within 24hrs then that first 10F drop from 190F to 180F happens very quickly.

I'll be trying this out next week. I've actually been using the winpack's as fermenters for about a year now and have 2 that are unused.

Great thread all!

Old 06-19-2009, 11:31 PM   #208
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My brew and store experiment is a go for this weekend, I will post pics and updates as it occurs. Right now I am waiting to see if a couple friends of mine want to come over and brew, but right now I am looking at:

10gal ESB (normal chill)
10gal Nut Brown (no-chill and store)
10gal Am. Wheat (If friends come to brew)

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 06-21-2009, 05:57 PM   #209
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Brew day was a sucess! My friends did come over, so we split 3 batches and went home with 15 gallons each. We decided to no-chill the ESB instead of the nut brown, so each of us has a hot packed cube. He plans on fermenting in the next week or so, and I will probably hold mine for at least 3-4 weeks. I will post a few pics later, and will update as things happen.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 06-21-2009, 06:16 PM   #210
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Where do you guys recommend getting 6 gal ones? 5 seems a little small to me since after fermentation is done your only going to get about 4.5 in the keg.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Quick Reply