Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-30-2013, 05:12 PM   #1341
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 605 Posts
Likes Given: 227

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckO View Post
I'm doing something similar, except that I don't like the possibility of something sucking back into the fermenter as the wort cools and shrinks. I put some polyester fiberfill into a jar and saturated it with StarSan. Tipped it over to drain out most of the StarSan, set it upright and then put my blow off tube down through the fiberfill. When I went to pitch the yeast I simply switched jars to one half filled with StarSan. I figured that anything that got down through 5-6" of damp fiberfill and then up 3' of hose would probably be able to contaminate my wort through the side of the container as well. This allowed my wort to cool without distorting the fermenter.
If you use one of the "S" airlocks they won't suck back any of the liquid in them.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2014, 12:23 PM   #1342
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I no-chilled because I didn't have an outdoor water source at my old place. Other than having to adjust my hop addition times, the beers came out just as good as chilled versions, and just as clear.

On-Deck: Bacon488's Mild

Primary: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Quad

Kegged: Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider;

Bottled: Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 01-03-2014, 02:47 PM   #1343
carlk47
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
I no-chilled because I didn't have an outdoor water source at my old place. Other than having to adjust my hop addition times, the beers came out just as good as chilled versions, and just as clear.
+1!

The 2 that I have done so far have been great and I have 2 more currently fermenting! I choose no-chill just for the simplicity on brew day and the ability to brew whenever I wanted and to time my fermentations separately.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:57 PM   #1344
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 356

I no-chilled about a dozen batches until I had an infection. Right away I blamed it on no-chill & bought an immersion chiller. It turned out it wasn't no-chill but a bad Better Bottle that was the source of my infection(s). I also liked the simplicity of no-chill; but I have a shiny new stainless steel chiller that must be used.

Old 01-03-2014, 10:24 PM   #1345
BrewHaas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I ferment in a Sanke. On my last two batches I've only used 90 minute bittering hops in my boil. I add aroma hops directly to the Sanke when the temp gets to about 175 which is pretty much right away from heating up the keg. After that I proceed with pitching my yeast when it's cool enough the results have been great. Simple. I love it.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #1346
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts

After No Chilling the majority of my beers, I had a bad year in 2013 and brewed virtually nothing but duds. Weird off flavors in most batches, beers that took 2 months longer than normal to come together, etc. I'm just now trying to get back into the swing of brewing actually.

I think I'll switch back to immersion chilling for the short term, along with a few other changes, to see if the beers improve. I'm thinking repeated use of the same chilling tank for many batches led it to be compromised in some way, or perhaps some superheat resistant mold was living the tiny pores of the plastic. Getting back to a "normal" hop schedule will be nice too, I could never quite nail down cube-hopping. It changed the hop flavor in weird ways, imho.

Having said that, let me state strongly that I produced MANY good beers with the No Chill technique, including 3-4 lagers that I felt were outstanding given my inexperience level. Lagers usually can be considered an "advanced" brewing technique, but the combo of NoChill - BIAB - dry 34/70 (2 packs) is a killer combo that even novice brewers can use to churn out decent-to-great lagers.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 01-20-2014, 07:30 PM   #1347
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2033 Times on 1462 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Recently brewed 2 batches with no chill, an Old Ale, and 10 gallons batch of Rye Pale Ale.

In both cases I left the wort outside in the cold overnight to cool down (relatively) quickly.

I noticed that both batches were very murky. With everything else the same, I can only conclude that it was the no chill that was the problem. I'm going to use my CFC on the next batch and see what happens. Water adjustments, whirlfloc, fermentation temps all the same. Same US-05 in 5 gallons of the Rye, plus the S-04 is just as cloudy as the US-05. Even Gelatin didn't help much.

Old 04-10-2014, 04:53 PM   #1348
Crucial-BBQ
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 11

In my 15 years of home brewing I have yet to use a chiller of any sort. I also have yet to brew anything larger than a five gallon batch, so depending on batch size I either just let it cool on the stove or use the sink method....even though I quickly run out of ice. When that happens, I just fill the sink, drain when hot, then fill again and repeat. It is not a quick method but I do not recall ever tasting anything that resembled burnt corn, or corn in general, and only had a problem with chill haze once; and that was from an attempt at a high gravity extract brew brewed at 3 gallons than topped off to five in the fermenter.

I also have always brewed indoors, where airborne microbes certainly are present but more-than-likely in vastly reduced concentrations than found outdoors or in a garage.

Old 04-24-2014, 03:02 PM   #1349
The_Dog_42
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 3

So for IPAs and other late hopped beers, why not use the cube in a different way? Boil regular old water, put it into the cube and allow the vacuum to develop. Put it in the freezer on brew day, brew up the recipe as normal and use the semi-frozen sanitized water to cool the wort. You wouldn't need a full 5 gallon cube for water either, a 1.5-2.5 gal cube would work very well.

There are a few things that kill some advantages of No-chill, but it doesn't remove all the advantages. The main thing is you would have to have space in your fermenter in the next 24 hours (yes, I've let mine sit overnight to get to proper pitching temps after doing a less sanitized variation on this method.) and in your freezer. You also have to account for the top-up water in the recipe.

The advantages are being able to retain an "original" recipe, without the difficultly in cleaning a CFC or plate chiller. You also save time, because, at least in my experience with Texas ground water, the frozen couple of gallons achieves near-pitching temperatures very quickly. This method also favors water restricted areas, because the overall amount of water used should be nearly the same as a no-chill method.

My 10 yr old chocolate lab Guinness :D thinks her name is goddammit dog or fu@%in' puppy...I think if she were registerable :drunk: her full name would Goddammit Guinness Stop It...Go Away!!! And we Love her dearly :)
My Keg-O-Vision (Kegerator) Build

My Butcherblock-esque Fermentation Chamber

Old 04-24-2014, 04:29 PM   #1350
geoffey
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 11 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 54 Times on 42 Posts

Default Exploring "no chill" brewing

I supposed another take on this is getting a fee bags of ice and dumping them into your sanitized no chill vessel, if you feel your ice cubes are safe enough to use without sanitizing. Costs a few $$ more, but i probably can't fit my 5gal no chill cube in my freezer.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Quick Reply