Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #1321
WastedCider
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 12

This and BIAB have provided all of the solutions I was looking for after learning traditional brewing and then moving to tiny apartments in LA. It makes sense that all of these threads started after I had given up on anything but ciders. I would like to thank the Australian Rules Brewing Community and HBT. Due to their hard work and the HBT community work / threads about the No Chill and BIAB teks I will be back to brewing more than cider in a months time.

Old 03-27-2013, 12:04 AM   #1322
pjcampbell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

EDIT sorry, trying to delete this and move to another thread on no chill hops, but it won't let me.

I'm curious about pitching hops at around 135F on a no chill (or other flame out temps...).

Basically I pitched 0.25 oz of 8.4% newport at 135F and then it took a good 24 hours to chill down to pitching temp.

In this beer I only did ~29 IBUs worth of bittering (0.75 newport @ 8.4% for 47 minutes in a 3.5 gallon boil in this case) hops and this "late" addition. Is there some way to calculate what this will do for IBUs, flavor and aroma?

On uncarbonated tasting, I was surprised at how bitter it seemed. I'd say in the 40+ range. Came out surprisingly well so far.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 PM   #1323
Brewsday
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default no chill hopping

Although not precisely an answer to pjcampbell...I wanted to share an experience that I hope will be of interest...

I had made an 11 gallon batch of IPA...adjusted hop additions according to the table in this thread and just prior to draining the boil kettle into 2 7.9 gallon bucket for no-chill, I decided the try something. My brother had happened across a large amount of wild hops that I'd previously used to successfully dry hop a growler of IPA...and he had given me several ounces so, on a whim I threw 2 ounces into one bucket. "racked" the cooled wort off the wild hops 2 days later but did not rack the other bucket. Then pitched both with 1/2 of a huge starter I'd made. Other than that the two buckets were treated 100% the same.

The "hot hopped in no-chill vessel" batch is FAR superior. There is a beautiful mellow and distinct hop flavor to the brew the other lacks. Sadly it's almost gone (I bottle, therefore I horde). I had read about vessel hopping with no-chill but wanted to share this reasonably scientific experiment result.

I have since abandoned no-chill because I felt like it created another "day" of brewing work (not a whole day obviously) with oxygenating, pitching, cleaning up, etc. But I may revisit it if I can't replicate that wonderful mellow hoppy-ness...I am now experimenting with pausing the chill-down at 185* for 10 minutes to hop then restarting the immersion chiller...off topic for this thread...sorry.

Everyone has to walk their own path as a brewer. Each home brewer must consider time, cost, feasibility, and results of their efforts. If a homebrewer can strike a happy balance between those 4 aspects, then they are doing it right regardless of the brewing method.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post

Noone should have to defend themselves about what they want to brew or justify it to anyone... This is supposed to be about having fun. In whatever form it takes.

Don't be a troll about it.
LabRatBrewer Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #1324
BrewHaas
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Whoop! Finally tried it and loving the process as well as the results. So exciting.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:10 PM   #1325
carlk47
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

4 month old thread but quick question.. I brew 3-4 gal batches and wanted to try no chilling. Has anyone used the 4 gallon Aqua-tainer for this? I'm assuming it would function the same as it's 7 gal larger sibling. Definitely would love to pack up my chilling equipment if this works well for me!

Old 11-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #1326
pjcampbell
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

fwiw I chill my wort in the brew kettle outside overnight with the lid on . It cools down much quicker outside (even in summer temps, I think the wind helps to cool it) It's not air airtight but I have never had a problem.

I've considered trying a corny, but have never done it.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:33 PM   #1327
benco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlk47
4 month old thread but quick question.. I brew 3-4 gal batches and wanted to try no chilling. Has anyone used the 4 gallon Aqua-tainer for this? I'm assuming it would function the same as it's 7 gal larger sibling. Definitely would love to pack up my chilling equipment if this works well for me!
. Yes, my fil loves his, he's only done one 5 gal batch in the 7 gal aquatainer. He is retired , so no rush in the morning and he can his rehydrating his yeast and not be rushed.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:15 PM   #1328
carlk47
Recipes 

Any problem with using these? I'm just curious about the QUORAL portion of these..

http://www.dynalabcorp.com/news_Baritainer.asp

I was thinking of using a 5 liter one of these along with http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=22692&catid=816 to do 4 gal batches.

Old 11-11-2013, 01:26 AM   #1329
benco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

I think those are fine! But the aquatainer has the drain valve!

Old 11-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #1330
carlk47
Recipes 

Ordered up a couple of these yesterday and they've already shipped!

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=25627&catid=816

They will be here on Thursday so I may try my first no chill this weekend.. Very cool!

I'm thinking no chill will make double brew days pretty easy.. Can't wait to try.

Quick Reply