Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2012, 02:51 PM   #1291
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2126 Times on 1523 Posts
Likes Given: 1169

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel View Post
Well I might have my first No Chill failure on my hands. I've been experimenting with letting the wort cool down in the kettle to around 190 or so before transferring into the No Chill tank, in the hopes of getting better hoppy beers. On my last batch, (a Bo Pils) I got it down to 180F before transferring, BUT i was using a new digital thermometer that seems wonky and I suspect the wort was cooler than that.

When I went to pitch yeast, the tank didn't look all sucked in like it normally does. It didn't look bulged out or anything, but it definitely wasn't slightly collapsed like it normally is. The wort smells fairly sour too

I pitched and fermented as normal, and I'm cold crashing it now, but the samples I've tasted seemed very lactic-sharp, and had a Wit beer like phenolic aroma. Again, this was a Bohemian Pilsner, so while its way to early to tell, I am not too hopeful.

So let this be a warning at best, and a lesson at worst (if the beer is ruined). Its OK to let your wort cool to 200F or so before pouring in, but don't risk it getting much cooler.
How long after boiling did you wait before pitching the yeast? Overnight? 1 day?

I doubt there is any way that souring is going to happen in a few hours or even in a day or two. I think lactobaccilus is still going to be killed at above 140F. I'd have to check on that, but I think it's one of the bugs that is pasteurized.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-05-2012, 02:48 AM   #1292
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Which container to use

Whew, I'm worn out. I noticed red marks on the fronts of my thighs this morning from the heat of my Dell Laptop computer. I read thru this entire thread yesterday - finishing just after midnight. Thank you, Dr_Deathweed, for starting this and for your excellent explanation at the outset.

I was getting sort of lost near the end as the thread branched out into several different, but related, rabbit trails. About 2/3 way thru, someone suggested condensing the thread into a Wiki, but I imagine that that takes a lot of time and energy. I think I have a pretty good idea how to do this.

As with many things, I agonize over some of the small details. I decided to start a new thread to help answer the question of which container to use for no-chill:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/no-chill-containers-345726/#post4305938

This present thread is loaded with valuable information, but it takes a few hours to find out about some of the specific container options.

If some of y'all don't mind, please go over to the new thread and post/show what container you use and, perhaps, say why you chose it over another.

Thanks,
Keith

Old 08-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #1293
kzimmer0817
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Default Vacuum Release after No Chill

For those of you who No Chill in a HDPE container and pitch yeast the next day: Since the plastic container sinks in during the cooling, I'm thinking that there's a vacuum in the container when you get ready to pitch. Upon opening the container, I would expect a decent influx of air - and stuff - into the container. Do you place a Starsan-soaked rag over the lid as you remove it?

Perhaps this is much ado about nothing, so I'm probably answering my own question. I guess you'd be likely to pick up more stuff from the surrounding air during transfer from the cube into the fermentation vessel (at least as much as when you're racking from kettle into FV after removal of your immersion chiller) than you would from a little gasp from the vacuum releasing.

Thanks,
Keith

Last edited by kzimmer0817; 08-09-2012 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Hit Return before I was finished.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:11 PM   #1294
H-ost
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I just open mine very slowly and try not to let it gurgle to violently. Since you are only going to open it when you are ready to pitch, anything that makes it in there has some hungry yeast to beat out before they can infect your batch.

Old 08-09-2012, 03:28 PM   #1295
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah the chance of a bug getting in there during the release of the vacuum has got to be far less likely than chance you encounter when you are chilling your wort normally and it is open to exposed air for 20-30 minutes while doing so.

Once you've No Chilled for a while, it almost makes you nervous when you see guys who don't No Chill because they "don't want to get an infection" just walk away from a kettle full of raw wort at perfect bug temps while chilling for 20 minutes.

Also if you haven't heard it, 1-2 episodes back on Basic Brewing Radio they did a blind taste test with 2 different recipes having been done as Chilled and No Chilled versions. The panel was completely unable to tell a difference between the same recipe done as Chilled and No Chilled. Obviously us No Chillers knew this would be the case, but it was nice to see it get some more exposure.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 08-11-2012, 11:00 AM   #1296
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel View Post

Also if you haven't heard it, 1-2 episodes back on Basic Brewing Radio they did a blind taste test with 2 different recipes having been done as Chilled and No Chilled versions. The panel was completely unable to tell a difference between the same recipe done as Chilled and No Chilled. Obviously us No Chillers knew this would be the case, but it was nice to see it get some more exposure.
Not surprised at all, though I am also glad No Chill is getting some of the credit it deserves as being a viable technique in home brewing.

"There is only two ways do to something; The smart way or the hard way."

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

Old 08-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #1297
crushingblackdoom
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 18 Posts

Anyone here ever No-Chill in a corny, then push out the cold break via c02? I should really say Slo-Chill, as I'll be icebathing the corny & pitching soon after reaching temp. Usually 4-6 hrs.
What about, if you've already got the gas on to push out the cold break, wouldn't pouring the wort thru the tap w/ a higher than serving pressure create enough foam & oxygen in the fermenter to effectively aerate?
Just a couple of late night thoughts as I plan out my next brew day. Any ideas on this ? Much appreciated! BrewOn

Old 08-12-2012, 07:50 AM   #1298
crushingblackdoom
Recipes 

To avoid confusion, hopefully, I should say the corny is just to hold the wort while it cools. I'll be fermenting in a brew bucket, then racking to keg.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #1299
onthekeg
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushingblackdoom View Post
Anyone here ever No-Chill in a corny, then push out the cold break via c02? I should really say Slo-Chill, as I'll be icebathing the corny & pitching soon after reaching temp. Usually 4-6 hrs.
What about, if you've already got the gas on to push out the cold break, wouldn't pouring the wort thru the tap w/ a higher than serving pressure create enough foam & oxygen in the fermenter to effectively aerate?
Just a couple of late night thoughts as I plan out my next brew day. Any ideas on this ? Much appreciated! BrewOn
I do this all the time. I don't worry about the break that settles in the keg, I dump it all into the fermenter the next day.

Old 08-12-2012, 08:33 AM   #1300
crushingblackdoom
Recipes 

Cool! I'm guessing that getting rid of the cold-break might result in a clearer beer. So goes the mythology, anyway.

Quick Reply