New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 01:22 AM   #121
Amity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've got an HDPE #2 pail that I got some (chilled) wort from a local microbrewery. I've read that HDPE can accept temperatures up to 230F. Can I use this for no-chill brewing?

Mike

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2009, 01:24 AM   #122
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amity View Post
I've got an HDPE #2 pail that I got some (chilled) wort from a local microbrewery. I've read that HDPE can accept temperatures up to 230F. Can I use this for no-chill brewing?

Mike
Problem is, when the wort cools, it shrinks... a lot. The pail is too rigid and will buckle under the vaccuum.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:48 AM   #123
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
I no chilled another beer yesterday, actually I sold off my IC yeterday too!

I had a guest over from HBT for a brew session yesterday, who could not believe that I was not chilling my beer. So I pointed him at the tap on my kegerator where my No Chill Haus Ale was, he loved it. He mentioned how CLEAN it tasted... seriously, no chilling works.

I converted at least one person to brewing on an electric HERMS yesterday and possibly two people to no chill brewing.

Brew On!

you got me hooked. I'll be ordering a 6 gallon cube pretty soon here.

plus after tasting my pale ale today I'm getting rid of my hop bag....killed my utilization.

Old 05-18-2009, 01:51 AM   #124
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Maybe I missed it but do you woory about HSA when transferring the wort? Will an autosiphon withstand the heat? Otherwise just dump the whole kettle in?

Old 05-18-2009, 01:54 AM   #125
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamjab19 View Post
Maybe I missed it but do you woory about HSA when transferring the wort? Will an autosiphon withstand the heat? Otherwise just dump the whole kettle in?
Ahh, I have a spigot on my keggle with a rotating dip tube inside. I run a hose right to the bottom of my container, so there is no aeration. NO, an autosiphon will not withstand boiling temps.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:02 AM   #126
adamjab19
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Ok I was thinking that was the case. I guess a hose (proper temp. requirements) fitted to the end of my funnel with a careful pour will do the trick.

And do you squeze the air out of the cube before completely sealing the container? I thought I read that somewhere.

Old 05-18-2009, 02:08 AM   #127
The Pol
Recipes 

Quote:
Ok I was thinking that was the case. I guess a hose (proper temp. requirements) fitted to the end of my funnel with a careful pour will do the trick.

And do you squeze the air out of the cube before completely sealing the container? I thought I read that somewhere.

No, I dont, here is why. My no chill container is 6 gallons, because I ferment in it too. So, I simply transfer the wort, seal the lid on it, and let it sit for about 24 hours. At that point it is cooled to pitching temp, I then pitch my starter and place a blow off on the fermentor. Yes, a blow off... last time I thought I was safe, and I was no... blow offs are just so simple and effective!

Old 05-18-2009, 11:48 AM   #128
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:

If you use the proper sized cube (unlike The Pol ), or are looking to store any longer than overnight, yes, you do try to squeeze all the air out before sealing.

As Pol mentioned, he only chills overnight and pitches a day later, and uses the container to ferment in as well. My original project (which has been postponed temporarily due to hectic schedule, which ironically was the reason i wanted to start this project ) would be to hot pack and store the wort, to be fermented days, weeks, or even months later. To do this you do not want the head space in your cube, and do want to squeeze all the air out.

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 05-18-2009, 12:43 PM   #129
LooyvilleLarry
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

deathweed - I was wondering if you've considered alternatives like rapid cooling. What if you had a bucket liner that was food safe and could vacuum seal (like a food saver) ? Out of kettle, then freeze it solid then seal it up?

I do this with other liquids and it is great.

Hmm, maybe I'll do that with some starter wort!

Another thing I thought of is purging the container with CO2 prior (if there were headspace.

Secondary

Kegged
BeeCave Haus Ale - 6%
Bells Two Hearted, round 2- 6.1%
SNPA Clone (Chilled )
Hard Lemonade

Shiraz - 6 gal

Old 05-18-2009, 01:26 PM   #130
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 2

The CO2 purge was discussed on Pol's thread. The O2 permeability of the HDPE is so high, you will get enough O2 through the walls after a few weeks of storage the wort will achieve saturation so it won't make any difference whether you purged or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Quick Reply