Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway - Last Weekend to Enter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-22-2012, 04:42 PM   #1221
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by lylo View Post
Dump your oxy into a bucket and use again.The cubes usually aren't all that grotty.You can easily reuse the oxy a few times.I starsan rinse as well but probably not necesssary considering the temp of the wort.
The cubes can get "grotty" if you ferment in them, or sometimes if you cube hop.

On-Deck: Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul; Avery Hog Heaven clone

Primary:

Kegged: Perry; BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Pumpkin Saison; Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma Session Saison; Coffee Saison
addis29 Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2012, 02:43 AM   #1222
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 109

houston... we have a problem...
so i've been having this problem with a "plastic" taste in my beers. so i bought water, swapped to new tubing, still no go, till i cleaned out my cube and noticed a smell, so i took a big whiff of it... guess what? smells like effing plastic, like chemicals and plastic, and i've been cleaning them out, letting them dry etc... but i do not want to ruin another batch of beer. so i'm dumping those for now this sucks!
so for tomorrow at least, im' going to put the lid on my kettle, throw a starsan soaked shirt on it, and let it cool that way. hopefully we will see if this helps anything!

Coming up
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 01-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #1223
cowgo

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenin View Post
so i've been having this problem with a "plastic" taste in my beers. so i bought water, swapped to new tubing, still no go, till i cleaned out my cube and noticed a smell, so i took a big whiff of it... guess what? smells like effing plastic, like chemicals and plastic, and i've been cleaning them out, letting them dry etc... but i do not want to ruin another batch of beer. so i'm dumping those for now this sucks!
so for tomorrow at least, im' going to put the lid on my kettle, throw a starsan soaked shirt on it, and let it cool that way. hopefully we will see if this helps anything!
What kind of cube are you using? I haven't tried no chill yet, but I have a 6 gallon aquatainer and a 6 gallon winpak I was going to use. I definitiely don't want plastic beer.
Kegged/bottled: Cowbrau Heifer Weizen, Kolsch, House Ale
Commercial Brews in Fridge: Nothing! Finally got the pipeline filled.
Past HB Favorites: Dead Dog Barley Wine (She was a good dog)
Up Next: Faux Urquell Blond Ale and Irish Red

Secret Hidden Mancave Build (x2) Thread Cowbrau eBIAB Brewspace Build Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 03:25 PM   #1224
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 180 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 109

the 5 gallon winpacks that everyone uses.
i'm going to run a test this week though between 4 different ways to chill and capden tablets though, so i'll know more of its to do with my water, chloramines, the winpacks and such.
Could have been multiple other things... i was mostly drunken posting haha, so i'll have more info later this week i hope! when time allows

Coming up
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 01-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #1225
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I have never had any plastic flavor with many batches cooling overnight in 6-gallon winpaks.

Old 01-29-2012, 12:44 PM   #1226
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I know a lot of people use the winpacks with success, but I still don't like the idea of putting boiling wort into plastic.

I have opted for leaving the wort in the SS pot with the lid on and Starsan towels wrapped around the rim. The whole thing then covered with a plastic bag.

This is working great, but I never go more than 3 days before pitching.

I brewed a Kolsch 2 friday's ago, pitched on Sunday @ 61 degrees with a real wort starter, fermented @ 63 and raised to 65 by Wednesday. I tasted the gravity sample on Friday. The beer finished @ 1.010 and is already very tasty! 5 more gallons to the kegs!

Old 01-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #1227
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowgo View Post
What kind of cube are you using? I haven't tried no chill yet, but I have a 6 gallon aquatainer and a 6 gallon winpak I was going to use. I definitiely don't want plastic beer.
I've used Aquatainer's for quite a few No Chill batches without an issue.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-29-2012, 03:05 PM   #1228
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I had my first No-Chill mishap this week. I opened a 6-gallon Winpak and found mold in the cap and on the throat of the Winpak.

Last month when I filled the Winpak I noticed a big nick on the threaded part, under the cap. I ensured that it was air-tight and thought that was good enough. Apparently there was a slow air leak at that spot.

Dumping 5 gallons of wort.....

Old 01-29-2012, 03:56 PM   #1229
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 121 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinachinashop View Post
I know a lot of people use the winpacks with success, but I still don't like the idea of putting boiling wort into plastic.

I have opted for leaving the wort in the SS pot with the lid on and Starsan towels wrapped around the rim. The whole thing then covered with a plastic bag.

This is working great, but I never go more than 3 days before pitching.

I brewed a Kolsch 2 friday's ago, pitched on Sunday @ 61 degrees with a real wort starter, fermented @ 63 and raised to 65 by Wednesday. I tasted the gravity sample on Friday. The beer finished @ 1.010 and is already very tasty! 5 more gallons to the kegs!
I let the wort cool to 190F and then drain to the Winpak. No problems.

Old 02-04-2012, 04:23 AM   #1230
manticle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenin View Post
Boil up some water in your HLT.

Run it into your cube, let sit to chill, taste the water. If it has the plastic taste you are describing then it is probably the cube (provided your tubing is not also plastic when you do this - do you use silicon?).

You can either:

1. Discard the cube and get another.
2. Run hot water through in the same manner and repeat until the resulting water tastes like water.
3. Abandon no chill brewing.

I'd go 2, 1 and then 3. Stupid question from an Aussie - are the winpaks HDPE, recycle no.2?

Quick Reply