Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-09-2012, 11:39 PM   #1211
macfisherman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman

After reading through the entire thread, I am intrigued by the above container and its potential for both a no-chill and fermentation vessel. Has anyone other than ipscman used the "3 inch opening 5 gallon carboy" to chill and/or ferment in? Does the fact that this particular container may not create an air-tight seal as do the winpaks mean that an infection is more likely to occur in the chilling wort? I am very interested in moving to no-chill brewing as a means to trim some time and equipment from my brew days, and this container seems ideal, but for the fact that it may not seal as tightly as do the "standard" winpaks.

Thanks!
I started with the 3 inch and then went to the win pack. I didn't like that there wasn't a tight seal in the 3 inch. My beer seems better with the winpack but I've only been doing this for about 2 years.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2012, 11:50 PM   #1212
WortMonger
United States Mashtronaut
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I did a no-chill batch in a Sanke keg (which seals much better from the start than a corny, due to the way they are designed) and had no denting or problems, other than the beer not being as good (but I am sure it was because of my yeast and fermentation temperature (experimental pressure fermentation done at room temperature). I even experimented with how to aerate. I used a sanitized coke bottle with the bottom cut off and attached that to the beer port on a Sanke tap connector (gas port closed off). I filled this with my yeast and simply pushed the lever to tap the keg. When I did, it sucked the yeast slurry in and only had a minimum of glugging from the rest of the equalized vacuum before I untapped. Then I hooked up my O2 directly to the beer port and retapped (this time with a spunding valve attached to the gas port). I charged the keg up to 10 psi with pure O2 and untapped. I rolled the keg around for a couple of minutes every 15 minutes or so for an hour, then I threw on my spunding setup and let her go. Had activity within a couple of hours, relieving any excess pressure over 10 psi. If I had only had this in a temperature controlled environment, I could honestly say with 100% certainty it was the temperatures fault that I didn't like this beer. I still drank all 15 gallons of it though .

"It's like a 15.5 gallon Mr. Beer!"

Old 01-10-2012, 01:32 AM   #1213
Lennie
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thats what I want to do WortM, no-chill, oxygenate by addition of O2 and shaking, then a pressurized ferm. I see what you mean about cornies and vacuum, set up bass ackwards for that.

A blowoff wouldn't work because it would suck the liquid into the keg. Really I suppose if I put a cotton ball or two in the end of some tubing, it would prevent dust from being sucked in and should work for keeping the wort sanitary as the pressure equalizes during cooling. Or maybe a reverse airlock in a jar with the air bubbling through some vodka and into the jar before being sucked back into the keg.

Edited to add: read the entire thread as promised and see that people charge the corny keg with CO2 to counter the vacuum, hitting it with 21psi and then "topped up" later. Genius! I suppose the only drawback (aside from the whole hoppy beer thing) is that the yeast cake will have more trub in it and need more washing to recover some yeast for the next batch.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:56 AM   #1214
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 122

I would love to pitch into my winpacks but unfortunately they are too small. I may have a quarter gallon of head space! Lol need to find some 6 gallon or larger winpacks

Coming up - Golden Promise / ADHA 529 SMaSH
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 01-20-2012, 02:43 AM   #1215
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 14

For those of you leery about trying no-chill....

Ed Wort's Kolsch. Single vessel full volume no sparge eBIAB, no-chill, in the cube for 3 weeks before pitching yeast, nothing but a teaspoon of irish moss at 10 minutes left in boil:

nurture my pig

Old 01-20-2012, 03:06 AM   #1216
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenin View Post
I would love to pitch into my winpacks but unfortunately they are too small. I may have a quarter gallon of head space! Lol need to find some 6 gallon or larger winpacks
Here you go.
6 Gallon White Winpak® 18 3/4" H x 11 1/4" Dia | U.S. Plastic Corp.

Old 01-20-2012, 08:52 PM   #1217
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by thughes View Post
For those of you leery about trying no-chill....

Ed Wort's Kolsch. Single vessel full volume no sparge eBIAB, no-chill, in the cube for 3 weeks before pitching yeast, nothing but a teaspoon of irish moss at 10 minutes left in boil:

That sure is purty-full!

Old 01-22-2012, 05:33 PM   #1218
Rivenin
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 188 Times on 153 Posts
Likes Given: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucke View Post
awesome, thanks!

also, how does everyone clean their winpacks out? i rinse them a few times with hot water, then fill with oxyclean and hot water solution and leave them till i'm ready to use again, then rise a few times with hot water....
does that seem right? or should i be doing anything different? it sure is time consuming and i'm not sure i'm saving any water vs chilling lol
Coming up - Golden Promise / ADHA 529 SMaSH
Electric 120v Brutus 20

Old 01-22-2012, 05:37 PM   #1219
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivenin View Post
also, how does everyone clean their winpacks out?
I rinse out everything that will come freely, then fill with water and OxyClean, let sit for a couple hours, then flip over to get any gunk off the top, also for a couple hours. Drain, rinse, and let dry.

On-Deck:

Primary: Avery Hog Heaven clone; Brewpastor's Dark Night of the Soul;

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Perry; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Quad; Tripel; Saison Americain; Pumpkin Saison; Coffee Saison; Session Saison; Belma Session Saison; Grodziskie; Bacon488's Mild

Old 01-22-2012, 05:38 PM   #1220
lylo
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Dump your oxy into a bucket and use again.The cubes usually aren't all that grotty.You can easily reuse the oxy a few times.I starsan rinse as well but probably not necesssary considering the temp of the wort.

Quick Reply