Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2009, 06:09 PM   #111
matthendry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio View Post
Yeah, that's good information. I knew hops were a preservative, but I thought that a lot of their ability to stop botulism was in the fact that the lower the ph of the beer when you use sufficient quantities. This patent makes it seem like any amount of hops that you can taste will be more then necessary to prevent microbial growth.
The Patent states that it requires 1ppm to be effective and 1ppm of standardized 30% Hop Extract like Iso Alpha Acid extract is equal to 1 IBU .

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-11-2009, 06:21 PM   #112
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonnio View Post
Yeah, that's good information. I knew hops were a preservative, but I thought that a lot of their ability to stop botulism was in the fact that the lower the ph of the beer when you use sufficient quantities. This patent makes it seem like any amount of hops that you can taste will be more then necessary to prevent microbial growth.

If you put pressure into the keg then when the vacuum is created won't the co2 go into solution? Also, not sure about exposing the wort to air as it cools, even with a filter on....I would say just buy a couple of the US plastics containers. That's what I am planning on doing.

Yes you are right. I was thinking sanitation and forgetting about oxidation. I was trying use equipment I already have vs. buying stuff I don't have.

Old 05-11-2009, 07:07 PM   #113
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrabb22 View Post
I was trying use equipment I already have vs. buying stuff I don't have.
I can understand that --- If you have a way to oxygenate the wort before pitching yeast, absorbing CO2 probably wouldn't be a big deal.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Old 05-11-2009, 07:39 PM   #114
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 39 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthendry View Post
The Patent states that it requires 1ppm to be effective and 1ppm of standardized 30% Hop Extract like Iso Alpha Acid extract is equal to 1 IBU .
The patent is talking about a beta acid containing extract made with a solvent.

Beta acids are not particularly soluble in wort which is why, despite the fact that isomerized beta acids are bitter, beta acids are completely ignored in most IBU estimations.

Old 05-11-2009, 08:36 PM   #115
matthendry
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by remilard View Post
The patent is talking about a beta acid containing extract made with a solvent.

Beta acids are not particularly soluble in wort which is why, despite the fact that isomerized beta acids are bitter, beta acids are completely ignored in most IBU estimations.
If you actuly read the patent the Extract which is the patent for the Barth Haas product Betastab does contain some Iso Alpha Acids but they use more beta's because they are not as bitter and remain below taste thresholds in the finished product.

Iso Alpha acids are actually more effective as a Antibacterial against gram positive bacteria and they work by disrupting the nutrient pathway at the cellular level so the bacteria starve this is more effective if the PH is raised also having a higher gravity/IBU wort at packaging helps and the customer can easily dilute the wort with some water when they brew .

http://www.lfl.bayern.de/ipz/hopfen/...poster1_01.pdf

If you added a mild food grade acid (phosphoric) to the wort and then added some sort of carbonate (potassium bicarbonate) to neutralize the acid when you brew you would pretty much eliminate any risk of any food borne pathogens because the increased PH enhances the Antibacterial properties of Hop Acids as well as acidifies the wort slightly , but I would only recommend that you add a Food grade acid if you where going to store your wort for months but most homebrewers are only going to be storing wort in cubes for a few days .

Reason: Added the PDF Link

Old 05-11-2009, 08:39 PM   #116
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Got my 6 gallon containers in from US Plastics today.

I have a ton of #2 bungs and several blowoff setups for #2 so I drilled 5/8" holes in the center of the lids rather than buying 11.5 bungs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 05-17-2009, 10:30 AM   #117
Flattop
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucke View Post
Is “making kabobs” an Aussie euphemism for something naughty?
My missus is plenty naughty already, i'm, referring to the Greek/Turkish dish which is lamb, garlic, yoghurt, lettuce etc wrapped in a flat bread...
That and beer is to die for....

So are you all cubing yet... i live and breathe, testament to the fact that although i no-chill cubed 4-5 brews before pitching you can survive it.
I'm no scientist but i can say it works....

Old 05-17-2009, 01:11 PM   #118
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I no chilled another beer yesterday, actually I sold off my IC yeterday too!

I had a guest over from HBT for a brew session yesterday, who could not believe that I was not chilling my beer. So I pointed him at the tap on my kegerator where my No Chill Haus Ale was, he loved it. He mentioned how CLEAN it tasted... seriously, no chilling works.

I converted at least one person to brewing on an electric HERMS yesterday and possibly two people to no chill brewing.

Brew On!

Old 05-17-2009, 08:18 PM   #119
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flattop View Post
My missus is plenty naughty already, i'm, referring to the Greek/Turkish dish which is lamb, garlic, yoghurt, lettuce etc wrapped in a flat bread...
That and beer is to die for....
Ah, OK. I follow aussiehomebrewer.com and the Aussie-isms are a bit difficult at times- though I must admit the question was tongue in cheek. The missus and I make kabobs ourselves, including homemaking the flatbread and yogurt. It’s not too difficult, really; especially compared to home-brewing beer.

Kudos to you and your countrymen for your spirit of adventure relating to home-brewing. I’ve adopted a modified Real Ale in a Cube system, learned from an Aussie, and it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Quote:
So are you all cubing yet... i live and breathe, testament to the fact that although i no-chill cubed 4-5 brews before pitching you can survive it.
I'm no scientist but i can say it works....
I shall try the no-chill method very soon.

Old 05-17-2009, 10:17 PM   #120
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 64 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Eschatz tried my no chill Haus Ale today... he seemed to like it just fine. My no chill SNPA clone is chugging away 24 hours after the boil!

Quick Reply