Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2011, 06:16 PM   #1171
PickledFetus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Are any of you no-chill brewers tasting your wort before you pitch the yeast? I'm talking about straight out of the no-chill container, after its cooled down. I only ask because something that is still bugging me about the no-chill process is that my wort tastes awful pre-fermentation. Its the same thing I've mentioned before - its a bitter, grassy, vegetal flavor and aroma. It doesn't seem to affect the finished beer - the fermentation seems to scrub most/all of it out. I'm still experimenting with different styles and recipes to see if this is always the case, though.

If its possible to avoid it, I would like to, but I am wondering if maybe it is just something inherent in the no-chill process. I take every opportunity to taste my beer at every stage of the process (first runnings from the mash, post-boil, pre-pitching, when racking to the secondary, into the keg) and this off-flavor bugs me (and I don't get it with normally chilled beers).

It doesn't seem to be affected much by the type of base malt or whether or not I put hops straight in the cube or if I whirlpool and keep them out. I've done 100% pilsner, 100% 2-row, 100% Maris Otter, cube hopped and not. I've also tried draining immediately into the cube, and I've tried whirlpooling until it drops below 190F before draining into the cube. I haven't tried getting it below 180F yet to see if that makes a difference - I'm scared to let it get too low and risk an ineffective pasteurization of my cube.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-24-2011, 06:18 PM   #1172
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brrit View Post
What about adding top off water at the end of the boil? Last night during my brew, I needed to top off with a little over a gallon of water to reach my 5 gallons. I just added tap water since it was late, but what is the best way to add top off water at the end of the boil?

My fear is that I lowered the wort temperature by adding the tap water when going into the cube? Should I have waited until racking into the fermenter to add the water? Boil water and add it hot into the cube? What are you guys doing?
If you're boiling 1/2 the batch, you could always get one of the 2.5 gallon cubes. You could then add the water when you dump the wort into your bucket or carboy.

Old 10-24-2011, 09:19 PM   #1173
Monstar
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickledFetus View Post
Are any of you no-chill brewers tasting your wort before you pitch the yeast? I'm talking about straight out of the no-chill container, after its cooled down. I only ask because something that is still bugging me about the no-chill process is that my wort tastes awful pre-fermentation. Its the same thing I've mentioned before - its a bitter, grassy, vegetal flavor and aroma. It doesn't seem to affect the finished beer - the fermentation seems to scrub most/all of it out. I'm still experimenting with different styles and recipes to see if this is always the case, though.

If its possible to avoid it, I would like to, but I am wondering if maybe it is just something inherent in the no-chill process. I take every opportunity to taste my beer at every stage of the process (first runnings from the mash, post-boil, pre-pitching, when racking to the secondary, into the keg) and this off-flavor bugs me (and I don't get it with normally chilled beers).

It doesn't seem to be affected much by the type of base malt or whether or not I put hops straight in the cube or if I whirlpool and keep them out. I've done 100% pilsner, 100% 2-row, 100% Maris Otter, cube hopped and not. I've also tried draining immediately into the cube, and I've tried whirlpooling until it drops below 190F before draining into the cube. I haven't tried getting it below 180F yet to see if that makes a difference - I'm scared to let it get too low and risk an ineffective pasteurization of my cube.
I do taste mine after pre-pitching, and it tastes the same as when I used an IC.

Old 10-25-2011, 12:50 AM   #1174
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Mine tastes the same as the chilled stuff. Which is to say, not very good, but that's just me. I don't like that tangerine/malt flavor of unfermented wort. And my samples do not have any vegital flavor from the cube. I'd probably dump the batch if that's how it smelled and wouldnt even bother pitching.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 10-25-2011, 04:55 AM   #1175
PickledFetus
Recipes 

Maybe I'm exaggerating how bad it is. I don't really like the taste of normal wort either, but it's a noticeable difference to me.

Sent from my iPhone using HB Talk

Old 10-25-2011, 07:14 AM   #1176
manticle
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Mine tastes like wort. Sweet, bitter, not vegetal. I take a hydrometer sample before pitching the yeast and always smell/taste after measuring.

Old 10-29-2011, 10:58 AM   #1177
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

After reading about the first 50 or so pages, I took the leap yesterday!

I brewed a no sparge, single wet hop, APA.

The hop schedule I use was ....
2.5oz hop as FWH
5 oz hop @40 min
5 oz for Dry Hop

I used locally grown nugget and estimated the AA @ 10%

I'll aerate with a stone for 20 minutes today and pitch a healthy slurry @65 degrees.

Bull

Old 10-30-2011, 01:56 AM   #1178
bullinachinashop
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 31

BTW, I cut 2 hour off my brew day!

Old 10-31-2011, 05:58 PM   #1179
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullinachinashop View Post
BTW, I cut 2 hour off my brew day!
My favorite part of a Brew-In-A-Bag/No-Chill brew day!

On-Deck: Pumpkin Saison

Primary: Common Perry

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 10-31-2011, 08:21 PM   #1180
MicroBrew77
Recipes 

Wow! That's awesome. I am glad it worked out for you!

Quick Reply