Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-07-2011, 02:13 PM   #1131
thughes
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeyer46 View Post
so you all are using the aquatainers from walmart?
I am.

I use irish moss and then drain everything from the brew kettle into the aquatainer. I then let the cube cool on its side (with the drain spigot in the proper position for draining without moving the cube). The spigot is high enough that it leaves @ 3/4 gallon in the cube when drained, this "left over" amount consists of all the settled/coagulated break/hops/etc. I get nothing but perfectly clear wort into the primary, although I do tip the cube just a little to get a bit of that junk into the FV so the yeast have something to snack on.

nurture my pig

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2011, 02:18 PM   #1132
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
so you all are using the aquatainers from walmart?
In the past (before upgrading to sanke kegs for fermenters) I used them without any issues. I drained my 6 gallons of finished hot wort in to the Aquatainer, then I would squeeze all the air I could out and seal it. When it was cooled down to pitching temps I would open her up, aerate with my Mix-Stir and pitch my yeast or starter.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-07-2011, 02:30 PM   #1133
bmeyer46
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

no problems with it getting flimsy. I've cooled in my brew kettles before also...let it sit outside overnight when it was like 40 degrees. That worked fine, but wasn't sure what type of plastic the aquatainers were made of.

Old 10-07-2011, 02:36 PM   #1134
wyzazz
Recipes 

Quote:
no problems with it getting flimsy. I've cooled in my brew kettles before also...let it sit outside overnight when it was like 40 degrees. That worked fine, but wasn't sure what type of plastic the aquatainers were made of.
Nope, they are pretty thick. They get a little soft but anything plastic does at those temps. HDPE, just like the buckets you use.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-07-2011, 03:00 PM   #1135
Exbeerienced
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
In the past (before upgrading to sanke kegs for fermenters) I used them without any issues. I drained my 6 gallons of finished hot wort in to the Aquatainer, then I would squeeze all the air I could out and seal it. When it was cooled down to pitching temps I would open her up, aerate with my Mix-Stir and pitch my yeast or starter.
Does your Sanke fermenter have a hole cut into the top of it? If so, how do you seal it for fermentation?

Old 10-07-2011, 04:39 PM   #1136
wyzazz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exbeerienced View Post
Does your Sanke fermenter have a hole cut into the top of it? If so, how do you seal it for fermentation?
No hole, just removed the spear. I cover mine with an orange carboy cap.

Old 10-08-2011, 07:23 AM   #1137
DannyD
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

So if I place my kettle in the bathtub with cold water and it takes +/- 2 hour to cool, is it still considered "no chill", but more importantly would you keep with the no chill hop schedule?

Old 10-08-2011, 12:11 PM   #1138
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by manticle

Why wouldn't you pitch if you chill it though?

The advantage of no-chill is so you can hold off on pitching - whether to shorten the brew day, because you don't have the right yeast, the starter didn't fire, you want to brew but keep fermenting for later (much later - proper no chilled worts will keep for months).

If you go to the effort of chilling, why not just add yeast then and there? If you store it, you miss the advantage of chilling AND the advantage of no chilling.

Do you guys get Fresh wort kits in the states or is that mainly an aussie thing?
The one thing I could think of would be to wait on your starter. A lot of times I brew at the last minute. If I have no dry yeast then I would want to make a starter. I could make a starter while brewing then pitch 24-48 hours later after the wort cools down.

Old 10-08-2011, 01:28 PM   #1139
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
The one thing I could think of would be to wait on your starter. A lot of times I brew at the last minute. If I have no dry yeast then I would want to make a starter. I could make a starter while brewing then pitch 24-48 hours later after the wort cools down.
I think you're missing the point of no chill brewing. If you are not going to pitch yeast for 24-48 hours later, you do not have to chill your wort, it will have cooled to pitching temps in 24 hours.
You also do not need to make a starter while brewing. Just drain 1000 ml of hot wort from your boil kettle into an erlenmeyer flask at the end of the boil. Chill it and use it for your starter (it's called a real wort starter). Then drain the rest of the hot wort into your no-chill container following the process discussed in this thread. Then 24 hours later when your wort has cooled to pitching temp, pour it into a fermenting bucket, aerate and pitch your whole yeast starter.
You don't have to waste water to chill, and you don't have to buy DME to make starters because you are using actual wort from your brew.

$10 DIY Stainless Hop Stopper

Old 10-08-2011, 01:44 PM   #1140
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigljd

I think you're missing the point of no chill brewing. If you are not going to pitch yeast for 24-48 hours later, you do not have to chill your wort, it will have cooled to pitching temps in 24 hours.
You also do not need to make a starter while brewing. Just drain 1000 ml of hot wort from your boil kettle into an erlenmeyer flask at the end of the boil. Chill it and use it for your starter (it's called a real wort starter). Then drain the rest of the hot wort into your no-chill container following the process discussed in this thread. Then 24 hours later when your wort has cooled to pitching temp, pour it into a fermenting bucket, aerate and pitch your whole yeast starter.
You don't have to waste water to chill, and you don't have to buy DME to make starters because you are using actual wort from your brew.
I understand the process, but very valid points. Seems pretty easy. Thanks for the clarification.

Quick Reply