New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-2011, 10:36 AM   #1101
johnodon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts

I can't remember if thsi question was raised earlier in the thread and I can't see why it would be an issue...

Can you fast chill (IC or CFC or whatever) after boil and still transfer to a cube for later pitching?

If the answer yes, I am going to see how my HopDevil experiment turns out. If I find that the hops are off (namely flavoring), then I may just go back to my IC but cube the beer rather than pitch right away. Quick dunk in a tub of oxyclean and then clean water really isn't that bad. The CFC...that's a different story!

FYI...I think the longest I would aver wait to pitch would be about 2 weeks.

John

Tap #1: BM's Black Pearl Porter
Tap #2
: Bell's Two-Hearted Ale
Tap #3: Big O. Great Pumpkin Ale
Tap #4: Big O. No Ordinary Bitter
Tap #5: BM's Aberdeen Brown Ale

On Deck: EdWort's Apfelwein; Victory HopDevil

Primary: BM's Centennial Blonde

Cube: Nada

Upcoming: Stoudt's Scarlet Lady; Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA; Russian Rivers Pliny the Elder

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-05-2011, 11:16 AM   #1102
bigljd
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnodon View Post
I can't remember if thsi question was raised earlier in the thread and I can't see why it would be an issue...

Can you fast chill (IC or CFC or whatever) after boil and still transfer to a cube for later pitching?

If the answer yes, I am going to see how my HopDevil experiment turns out. If I find that the hops are off (namely flavoring), then I may just go back to my IC but cube the beer rather than pitch right away. Quick dunk in a tub of oxyclean and then clean water really isn't that bad. The CFC...that's a different story!

FYI...I think the longest I would aver wait to pitch would be about 2 weeks.

John
No, you cannot fast chill, transfer to a cube and wait to pitch (not more than a few hours anyways). This is why it is called NO CHILL brewing. The wort needs to be very hot going into the cube to sanitize the cube and the little bit of air still in the cube. If you chill it first, you are no longer no chill brewing.
It's similar to canning vegetables - the heat sanitizes and then it's sealed to prevent anything bad from getting in the container. If you transfer when it's cool it will not be sanitary in the cube and your wort could and likely would go bad.

Old 10-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #1103
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigljd View Post
No, you cannot fast chill, transfer to a cube and wait to pitch (not more than a few hours anyways). This is why it is called NO CHILL brewing. The wort needs to be very hot going into the cube to sanitize the cube and the little bit of air still in the cube. If you chill it first, you are no longer no chill brewing.
It's similar to canning vegetables - the heat sanitizes and then it's sealed to prevent anything bad from getting in the container. If you transfer when it's cool it will not be sanitary in the cube and your wort could and likely would go bad.
What if he sanitizes the cube first?

Old 10-05-2011, 11:47 AM   #1104
johnodon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
I always do this...boiling wort or not. I guess I don't know why this wouldn't sufficient.

John
Tap #2

Upcoming: Stoudt's Scarlet Lady; Heavenly Scourge Black IIPA; Russian Rivers Pliny the Elder

Old 10-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #1105
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
You would want to sanitize the cube and purge it with an inert gas (maybe CO2) as well, and even that isn't within my comfort zone. The advantage of Non-Chilled wort going in to the fermenter is that it's hot enough to sanitize not only the cube but the air in the headspace as well once it is sealed.

I have never let my No-Chill batches sit more than 48 hours before pitching yeast, again it just isn't within my comfort zone.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-05-2011, 12:26 PM   #1106
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnodon View Post
John
NO. Don't do that for all ther reasons already given. If you've cooled it, just put it in the fermenter and pitch as normal.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:29 PM   #1107
johnodon
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
The advantage of Non-Chilled wort going in to the fermenter is that it's hot enough to sanitize not only the cube but the air in the headspace as well once it is sealed.
That is a damned good point. Didn't even think of it.

Thsi is why I ask these questions.

Thanks,

John
Tap #2

Old 10-05-2011, 02:30 PM   #1108
wyzazz
Recipes 

No worries.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #1109
bmeyer46
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

in all honesty, I don't know why you couldn't put cooled wort in a sanitized container for pitching later?
especially if you could store the cube in a cool location, then bring it out later and let it warm till its time to pitch.

Old 10-05-2011, 02:53 PM   #1110
wyzazz
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeyer46 View Post
in all honesty, I don't know why you couldn't put cooled wort in a sanitized container for pitching later?
especially if you could store the cube in a cool location, then bring it out later and let it warm till its time to pitch.
You could, but it's not the best idea IMHO. The longer you wait to pitch, the greater your risk for infection. I do can some starter wort and let that sit at room temp for months at a time before pitching, but that is pressure canned and sterile so I'm not worried about it.

Quick Reply