Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-03-2011, 01:36 PM   #1091
Bradinator
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel View Post

In terms of clarity, I don't think No Chill has ANY impact on final clarity. Meaning that there are other reasons for your haze. My clearest ale ever was a Scottish Ale that I No Chilled, and it was crystal clear from the very first bottle (no lagering).
While I don't doubt there could be other things in my process lending towards foggy beers, all my previous chilled beers have been quite clear, if not crystal clear.

Is there something else I can do during the brewing process, be it the use of additional ingredients, boil time, etc, that would help?

"There is only two ways do to something; The smart way or the hard way."

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-03-2011, 02:30 PM   #1092
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradinator View Post
Is there something else I can do during the brewing process, be it the use of additional ingredients, boil time, etc, that would help?
Clarity is something that "just works" for me for beers I want it to without me thinking about it too much. All my lagers drop clear after a few weeks, and my malty ales seem to do the same. My beers with late hop additions or dry hops all seem to be cloudy, as do my wheat beers and brown ales. Fortunately, this isn't a problem stylistically for these brews (well, I'd like the browns a little clearer maybe...). Especially with the hoppy beers, the haze never clears, even after lagering.

For the record, I use whirflock on all my beers (even wheats) and I boil pretty vigorously in a turkey frier for 60-80 mins.

There are several post-fermentation products out now to help with haze. The names escape me at the moment, but ask at your local home brew shop. If you aren't opposed to non-vegan beer, try Isinglass or gelatin. (They aren't for me, but to each his own)

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 10-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #1093
johnodon
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 15 Posts

OK...Updated my E-Biab w/ No Chill experiment (post #1081).

John

...I'm back baby!!!!

Old 10-03-2011, 08:22 PM   #1094
Bradinator
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 21 Posts

Great, thanks for the information. I am going to give Whirlfloc a try and start using Irish Moss in my beers again to see if that helps clear them up. Other than the cloudiness, I am really loving No Chill. Beers turn out just as good as chilled, minus the immense hassle and wasted water of chilling.

"There is only two ways do to something; The smart way or the hard way."

"Beer is pretty resilient stuff, its resistant to human stupidity"

Bradinator's Brews

Old 10-04-2011, 04:40 AM   #1095
tesilential
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghpeel

Clarity is something that "just works" for me for beers I want it to without me thinking about it too much. All my lagers drop clear after a few weeks, and my malty ales seem to do the same. My beers with late hop additions or dry hops all seem to be cloudy, as do my wheat beers and brown ales. Fortunately, this isn't a problem stylistically for these brews (well, I'd like the browns a little clearer maybe...). Especially with the hoppy beers, the haze never clears, even after lagering.

For the record, I use whirflock on all my beers (even wheats) and I boil pretty vigorously in a turkey frier for 60-80 mins.

There are several post-fermentation products out now to help with haze. The names escape me at the moment, but ask at your local home brew shop. If you aren't opposed to non-vegan beer, try Isinglass or gelatin. (They aren't for me, but to each his own)
My west coast IPA with 6 oz of late hops, both whole and pellet was the second clearest beer I ever brewed. The first was an ESB with gelatin for clearing. My Munich lager never cleared in the keg and when I bottled with the beer gun it only cleared a little more in the fridge.

I think yeast has a lot to do with clarity.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:07 PM   #1096
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnodon View Post
OK...Updated my E-Biab w/ No Chill experiment (post #1081).

John
A little (okay a lot) off topic. You mentioned in your #2 Update that you saved back some wort for a starter. I have often read that you want to keep your starter at 1.020-1.030 OG. Am I correct in assuming yours was 1.065? If so, have you done this in the past? If so, I would assume you have good results?

Thanks.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:09 PM   #1097
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
A little (okay a lot) off topic. You mentioned in your #2 Update that you saved back some wort for a starter. I have often read that you want to keep your starter at 1.020-1.030 OG. Am I correct in assuming yours was 1.065? If so, have you done this in the past? If so, I would assume you have good results?

Thanks.
It's called a Real Wort Starter (RWS), the thought is that you are acclimating your yeast to the actual wort you are going to be pitching it in to. I've done 5-6 RWS's in the past without any issues.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-04-2011, 01:36 PM   #1098
Yambor44
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
It's called a Real Wort Starter (RWS), the thought is that you are acclimating your yeast to the actual wort you are going to be pitching it in to. I've done 5-6 RWS's in the past without any issues.
Thank you.

Old 10-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #1099
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yambor44 View Post
Thank you.
No worries. FWIW, since my groundwater temp is pretty low & I've got a plate chiller, I've all but stopped doing No-Chill batches. I do support the idea and can say that it worked wonderfully for me, but I'm impatient so I am back to chilling my batches.
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 10-04-2011, 01:48 PM   #1100
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

I'm with wyzazz now.... I did about 30 no chill batches using the 'cool in the kettle' technique. Then I borrowed a buds wort chiller and frankly, it was pretty easy to get it chilled and pitched; didn't take more than 30 minutes to chill and another 10 to get it into the fridge.

As a result, I bought copper on line earlier this week and will have an IC up and running soon. I still value the technique and I KNOW it works and would recommend it to anyone familiar with proper sanitation techniques. For me, no chill was a cost savings necessity (I didn't want to invest in the chiller). But I found some inexpensive copper online and I'm going to take a year off and start chilling.

N_G
It could be worse.

Quick Reply