Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2009, 03:10 AM   #101
matthendry
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Food safety of a higher gravity, higher IBU wort was considered a side benefit but we mainly relied on the heat of the wort over a long period of time for food saftey .

Also the higher concentration meant the customer could carry a package that was easy to manage. Orginaly we packaged in bag in box Wine bladders but scuttled that idea after the bladders broke the boxes we packed them in and started with Food grade HDPE cubes that we already sold Wholesale as racking vessels,that where easier to fill also.

Barth-Hass the biggest Hop broker and Processor in the World has several patents regarding the Antimicriobial Effects of hop extracts including one titled Antimicrobial activity of hops extract against Clostridium botulinum, Clostridium difficile and Helicobacter pylori with

Antimicrobial activity of hops extract against Clostridium botulinum, Clostridium difficile and Helicobacter pylori - Patent 6251461

Botanix also sells hop products to the food processing industry that utilize the Antimicrobial effects of hops .

paper01

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-09-2009, 02:45 PM   #102
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flattop View Post
now if i can talk the missus into making kebabs life would be almost perfect...
Is “making kabobs” an Aussie euphemism for something naughty?

Old 05-09-2009, 03:05 PM   #103
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by de_ronde View Post
2. This cube from Northern Brewer is 5 gallons. Do you think it would actually hold 5.5?
http://www.northernbrewer.com/pics/fullsize/cubes3.jpg
Those are cubitainers and they won’t work for this application. Or, at least, they are not the HDPE cubes being discussed. If you’ll look real closely at the upper left corner of the largest cube on the pic, you see it says LDPE.

I actually use them for something entirely different. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/fellow-homebrewers-meet-my-new-beer-engine-10529/index15.html#post1300674

For the HDPE cubes there is US Plastics… then there’s this company Plastic Jugs, HDPE Utility Jugs with Spigots

Old 05-10-2009, 12:56 AM   #104
Dr_Deathweed

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthendry View Post
The Food safety of a higher gravity, higher IBU wort was considered a side benefit but we mainly relied on the heat of the wort over a long period of time for food saftey .

Also the higher concentration meant the customer could carry a package that was easy to manage. Orginaly we packaged in bag in box Wine bladders but scuttled that idea after the bladders broke the boxes we packed them in and started with Food grade HDPE cubes that we already sold Wholesale as racking vessels,that where easier to fill also.

Barth-Hass the biggest Hop broker and Processor in the World has several patents regarding the Antimicriobial Effects of hop extracts including one titled Antimicrobial activity of hops extract against Clostridium botulinum, Clostridium difficile and Helicobacter pylori with

Antimicrobial activity of hops extract against Clostridium botulinum, Clostridium difficile and Helicobacter pylori - Patent 6251461

Botanix also sells hop products to the food processing industry that utilize the Antimicrobial effects of hops .

paper01
Ok good, I am glad someone out there backed up the source on antimicrobial properties on hops against C. botulinum that I put in the OP. Also thanks for all your good information!

"Never ascribe to malice that which can be adequately explained by incompetence." - Napoleon Bonaparte
“An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.” - Ernest Hemingway

Fermentation CabinetAdding Faucets to a TowerDIY HopbackPortable Kegerator

Old 05-11-2009, 03:52 PM   #105
rcrabb22
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

I'm making a 8 gal batch. Forgetting the whole chill/no chill pro's and cons does anyone have a good reason why I couldn't use 2 cleaned and sanitized corny kegs as the no chill containers? After cooling overnight I would remove the gas in posts and attach a blow off tubes to each keg, pop the lids, pitch the yeast, replace the lids and ferment in them as well.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:11 PM   #106
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcrabb22 View Post
I'm making a 8 gal batch. Forgetting the whole chill/no chill pro's and cons does anyone have a good reason why I couldn't use 2 cleaned and sanitized corny kegs as the no chill containers? After cooling overnight I would remove the gas in posts and attach a blow off tubes to each keg, pop the lids, pitch the yeast, replace the lids and ferment in them as well.
The only thing that comes to mind, is vaccuum. Dunno if it is a problem, but there is A LOT of vaccuum generated when the wort/headspace shrinks

Old 05-11-2009, 04:23 PM   #107
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2759 Times on 2710 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
The only thing that comes to mind, is vaccuum. Dunno if it is a problem, but there is A LOT of vaccuum generated when the wort/headspace shrinks
So what happens to the plastic containers during this? Do they collapse in some?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 05-11-2009, 04:33 PM   #108
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrregularPulse View Post
So what happens to the plastic containers during this? Do they collapse in some?
YUP, this is why HDPE is great, it has great heat handling and is flexibe, the sides collapse in an inch on mine.

This method will cause an ALE PAIL to collapse in on itself as witnessed by another HBTer.

Old 05-11-2009, 04:36 PM   #109
rcrabb22

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post

2 ideas, one would be to put some pressure on the keg while it is hot to compensate for cooling vacuum. How much would be a best guess..., not sure this is a good idea

or 2nd, I have a sanitary air filter. I could put the blow off tube on from the get/go with the air filter and keep the pressure in the keg equalized.

Opps. have to buy a 2nd filter for the 2nd keg

Old 05-11-2009, 04:59 PM   #110
Jonnio

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathweed View Post
Ok good, I am glad someone out there backed up the source on antimicrobial properties on hops against C. botulinum that I put in the OP. Also thanks for all your good information!
Yeah, that's good information. I knew hops were a preservative, but I thought that a lot of their ability to stop botulism was in the fact that the lower the ph of the beer when you use sufficient quantities. This patent makes it seem like any amount of hops that you can taste will be more then necessary to prevent microbial growth.

Quote:
2 ideas, one would be to put some pressure on the keg while it is hot to compensate for cooling vacuum. How much would be a best guess..., not sure this is a good idea

or 2nd, I have a sanitary air filter. I could put the blow off tube on from the get/go with the air filter and keep the pressure in the keg equalized.

Opps. have to buy a 2nd filter for the 2nd keg
If you put pressure into the keg then when the vacuum is created won't the co2 go into solution? Also, not sure about exposing the wort to air as it cools, even with a filter on....I would say just buy a couple of the US plastics containers. That's what I am planning on doing.

------------------------------------------------
Official member of HBAMAP (Home Brewers Against Murder and Pedophilia)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
Then that means dumping your beer because you think it's bad is tantamount to abortion! And as Big Kahuna says, drinking a beer too soon is tatamount to beer pedophilia...

Quick Reply