Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2011, 08:20 PM   #1041
madhouseman
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

I have brewed several no chill brews now both dark and light. The latest is a lawnmower beer. There have been no off flavors in any of them. I do not use winpaks.

I have used regular plastic buckets and I have used a pyrex carboy. I have also just left it in the boil kettle over night.

I have done it with full wort boils, and with beers I have miscalculated my evap rate and have had to top up, and with planned partial wort boils. All good so far.

What I am waiting to see now is how my Pliny the Elder turns out. I did it no chill drained into a pyrex carboy. The next day I hopped on my motorcycle to buy a thermometer with a long stem so I could get an accurate temp reading before pitching. I got into an accident on the way and my wort was left in the carboy for 4 more days before I felt good enough to mess with it. The plan had been to rack into another fermenter, but because of my injuries I just pitched in the carboy and attached a blow off. I'll be racking to dry hop soon. I'll keep you posted!

RDWHAHB!!!!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 PM   #1042
madhouseman
Recipes 

Forgot to mention that I also do not use any type of altered hop schedule. Everything turns out as it should! I have switched to 90 min boils though.

Wish I had discovered no chill before I bought my plate chiller!

Old 08-07-2011, 05:57 PM   #1043
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I keep thinking about getting back into brewing again. This method appeals to me as I don't have to rebuy as much equipment, and I can shave time off my brewday.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:02 AM   #1044
ghpeel
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickledFetus View Post
I tasted the wort before pitching the yeast and besides the vegetal flavor and aroma, it didn't taste infected.
Whatever happened in your keg, I think you were off to a bad start. Of all the No Chill batches I've done (20+ maybe?), I've never smelled anything "off" upon opening the No Chill tank.

I'm thinking now that your keg, which was not designed to hold negative pressure, was somehow pulling air into itself, through a value or something. Perhaps positive pressure forces everything closed, but the negative pressure pulls a poppet or something open ever so slightly. Regardless, all it takes to mess up a batch would be a very small amount of air with some rogue buggies riding it in.

If you try No Chill again, I'd suggest investing in one of those $12-18 jugs from US Plastics. You can always use it to store water and whatnot if you decide No Chill just isn't for you.

=============================================

Kegged: Dunkelweizen
Primary: American Pale Ale

Old 08-08-2011, 01:50 PM   #1045
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
I keep thinking about getting back into brewing again. This method appeals to me as I don't have to rebuy as much equipment, and I can shave time off my brewday.
You should try it out once! I don't use the US plastics jugs, I just put the lid on my boiling kettle and sit it in the garage overnight (or in the basement if it is in the 80's or 90s outside). Transfer to fermenter and pitch the next morning

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 08-09-2011, 05:40 AM   #1046
PickledFetus
Recipes 

Arrgh, ok you guys have convinced me yet again. Two years ago when for all I knew I was the only US brewer dumb enough to try something like this, it was easier to write this off as due to differences in Aussie ingredients (or just poor taste buds). But it's encouraging to read about so many people here having success with this method.

I'm thinking now that maybe my corny did get infected when the air cooled and the keg lost it's seal. I only waited ~36 hours before pitching, which is probably why it wasn't completely undrinkable after I pitched a bunch of yeast and let it ferment out.

Now to see if Fred Meyer has jerrycans...

Old 08-31-2011, 02:47 AM   #1047
PickledFetus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PickledFetus View Post
Arrgh, ok you guys have convinced me yet again. Two years ago when for all I knew I was the only US brewer dumb enough to try something like this, it was easier to write this off as due to differences in Aussie ingredients (or just poor taste buds). But it's encouraging to read about so many people here having success with this method.

I'm thinking now that maybe my corny did get infected when the air cooled and the keg lost it's seal. I only waited ~36 hours before pitching, which is probably why it wasn't completely undrinkable after I pitched a bunch of yeast and let it ferment out.

Now to see if Fred Meyer has jerrycans...

Arrgghh... what am I doing wrong here? I brewed a batch of Bier Muncher's Centennial Blonde on Sunday, drained into the US Plastics jerrycan linked in the first post, and then opened it up and pitched today. The wort smells like canned vegetables! Its seriously awful. I took a small hydrometer sample and tried to drink it, but had to dump it after a small sip! I aerated and pitched anyways, just for science, but I'm seriously bummed out. I only have two hypotheses at this point.

First, I used Pilsner malt instead of American 2-row because the LHBS was out of 2-row. I did a 90 minute boil to compensate, but its possible that no-chill and pilsner malts just don't jive.

Second, I got impatient after the boil and didn't wait very long before draining into my cube, probably not more than 2-3 minutes. I'm not sure what temperature the wort was at this point since I wasn't checking the temperature, but others have stated that they wait 10-15 minutes before draining. Presumably, wort cools down faster while whirlpooling in my aluminum brew kettle as opposed to inside the cube, so perhaps it left my wort exposed to the optimum DMS producing temperatures for a longer time.

I've read a ton about no-chill so I'm pretty sure I did everything else right. I cleaned the cube thoroughly before use (stored full of star-san), rinsed it out and sanitized it again with fresh star san, then drained the wort right onto the star-san foam and capped it. I flipped it upside down for 10-15 minutes to sanitize the lid before storing in my basement. The sides of the cube were still dramatically sucked in up until the point when I opened the lid to rack into my fermentor an hour ago.

Honestly, based on my previous experiences, the beer will probably be drinkable, but no-where near optimal and not what I was hoping based on all of the glowing reviews I've read here. I think I'll probably try one more batch next weekend where I'll try and address the two issues above (use 2-row instead of Pilsner and try to wait until the wort is 180ish until cubing).

Anyone have any ideas of what I did wrong?

Old 08-31-2011, 03:26 AM   #1048
Germelli1
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 19

It really sounds like DMS to me, but I can't for the life of me figure out how that could be your case if you did a 90 minute boil! I am assuming you left the pot uncovered for the boil!

Your technique sounds great and I really can't figure it out. Hang in there man!

If I had 8 hours to chop down a tree, I would spend 6 sharpening my axe. ~Abe Lincoln

Old 08-31-2011, 04:19 AM   #1049
rmseven4
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I've done several No-Chill batches using pilsner malt and have not had a DMS problem yet. I also start draining the wort into the container as soon as I turn off the flame, no waiting at all.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:00 PM   #1050
madhouseman
Recipes 

I can't think of what may be wrong either. I have done this several ways. I have simply put the lid on my brew pot and waited till it cooled, then racked and pitched. I have drained to a plastic bucket and pitched when cool. I have drained to a pyrex carboy and pitched when cool. No issues what so ever. I even had to let one sit several days in the pyrex before pitching because I had an accident and couldn't get to it till then. That beer is bottled and aging as we speak and seems to be just fine. I don't seal my containers like others do either. Personally I think my beers are better than many in the club I belong to who chill. Keep trying and good luck!

Quick Reply