Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2011, 02:23 PM   #1001
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutty_gnome View Post
Bravo is a bittering hop so its not going to have much flavor.
HopsDirect describes it as a dual-purpose hop, which is why I chose that one, but wouldn't 2 oz in cube (counts as a 20-30 minute addition) really up the bitterness from the .5 oz I was originally planning, especially for such a high-AA variety?

I know The Pol changed cube-hop to transfer hop (added at flame-out, but not transferred to cube), which he lists as the equivalent of a 20m addition, so perhaps I should go that route, but still, 2 ounces? I'm just afraid of making this too bitter. As previously stated, I like smoother IPA with more hop flavor than bitterness. That smooth bitterness will come from FWH, as will some flavor. More flavor will come from the transfer/cube hops, as will some bitterness.

On-Deck: Quad; Oktoberfest; Mild

Primary: Mosaic pilsner; Saison Americaine; Tripel

Kegged: Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: Session Saison; Grodziskie; "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-12-2011, 07:17 PM   #1002
ElDuderino
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

For you guys who are no-chilling and then fermenting in the cube, what do you do to clean out the cube when your done? I've only fermented in glass, so it's easy for me to see if there is still stuff crusted on there... My cubes are translucent but barely so, so I don't trust visual inspection from the outside and I can't see much inside. I use pbw but just bought some oxy clean which I would prefer to use cause it's cheaper. If you do use oxy, how much do you use for five gallons? Do you let it sit a couple days and shake it now and then?

Old 03-13-2011, 03:04 AM   #1003
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
For you guys who are no-chilling and then fermenting in the cube, what do you do to clean out the cube when your done? I've only fermented in glass, so it's easy for me to see if there is still stuff crusted on there... My cubes are translucent but barely so, so I don't trust visual inspection from the outside and I can't see much inside. I use pbw but just bought some oxy clean which I would prefer to use cause it's cheaper. If you do use oxy, how much do you use for five gallons? Do you let it sit a couple days and shake it now and then?
You got it right: PBW or OxyClean for a few hours. Just a regular scoop of OC should do it. If not, use more. Not sure on PBW because I've never used it. Star-San is also a good possibility, but it may take a couple days, and double-strength would probably be your best bet for that.

Kegged: Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Apple cider; Adventures in Homebrewing's Black Prinz Stout

Bottled: Session Saison; Grodziskie; "Clean Out the Freezer" IPA; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 03-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #1004
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 112 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDuderino View Post
I rinse the Winpak out as best I can, then fill with a scoop of oxyclean and hot water. I do a few shakes before it is completely full, but I let the foam settle and really do fill it completely. Then I seal it up, and store it upside down overnight (or until I get to it). That generally does it, though one can repeat if necessary.

Old 03-14-2011, 01:55 AM   #1005
ChadLeBald
In Hops We Trust
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedge421 View Post
Hey guys just wanted to let you know that I posted a video of my all grain brew day with the no chill brew method. This was my first batch chilling this way! Let me know what you think. And thanks again for all the info!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgGm5Hh8rAg&feature=channel_video_title
Good job on the video...(I had some trouble viewing the embedded version here, but watched on YouTube and it played just fine). I'll check out your Part 3 (kegging) one soon; curious to see others' processes!

Chad

On tap: Honey Rye Saison (& a dry-hopped version, too)
Conical: English Amber

www.three-group.com

Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 AM   #1006
chucke
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
I rinse the Winpak out as best I can, then fill with a scoop of oxyclean and hot water. I do a few shakes before it is completely full, but I let the foam settle and really do fill it completely. Then I seal it up, and store it upside down overnight (or until I get to it). That generally does it, though one can repeat if necessary.
Same here.

You can see the bottom to see if it's clean.

The real danger is the top inside that you can't see, where most of the krausen will be.

Old 03-14-2011, 03:10 AM   #1007
ChadLeBald
In Hops We Trust
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruelkix View Post
That's right. I took the spears out and I let it chill with a #11 stopper with a 3 piece airlock with the inside taken out. When it is down to temp (like 36-48 hours) I pitch the yeast and put the inside back in. Done and done. Then i use the keg washer i built using a copper pipe with slits and a sump pump. Its probably not the most sanitary system..... but it works pretty well for me.
One more set of Qs: after it ferments out, do you then carbonate the very same keg? if so, what about the yeast cake?

On tap: Honey Rye Saison (& a dry-hopped version, too)
Conical: English Amber

www.three-group.com

Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 PM   #1008
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Okay, finally got around to putting both my setup and recipe into BrewTarget and here's what I got:

13 lb Maris Otter

1.25 oz Bravo (15.5% AA) FWH (calculated as 30 min in BrewTarget), 37.8 IBU
1.00 oz Bravo, Cube/transfer hop (20 min in BT), 27.5 IBU
1.00 oz Bravo, Dry-hop, 0.0 IBU

Assuming 75% eff., mashing at 152 for 90 min, I get
OG: 1.064
FG: 1.016
ABV: 6.2%
IBU: 65.4
SRM: 6.8
BU:GU: 1.03

Would anyone who's done a no-chill IPA tell me if that about adds up? I posted this a few days ago, but have since tweaked it with a little input from others. This is also the first time I feel fairly confident in my software calculations.

Highwater Likes This 
Old 03-14-2011, 10:31 PM   #1009
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadLeBald View Post
One more set of Qs: after it ferments out, do you then carbonate the very same keg? if so, what about the yeast cake?
You mean like making a cask/Real Ale? That seems like a really good introduction to cask conditioning (drill the cap, put in a spigot/tap), except the Winpaks only have one opening (no good way for air to get in). Also, you'd miss out on any flavors contributed by a wooden cask, but I really like the idea. Someone should look into this...

Old 03-14-2011, 10:39 PM   #1010
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by eulipion2 View Post
1.25 oz Bravo (15.5% AA) FWH (calculated as 30 min in BrewTarget), 37.8 IBU
1.00 oz Bravo, Cube/transfer hop (20 min in BT), 27.5 IBU
1.00 oz Bravo, Dry-hop, 0.0 IBU

Looks like a plan! Give it a go. Like I said in my first post about Bravo, I dont know much about it. However, you will likely be an expert on Bravo after you make this. Cheers!

N_G
It could be worse.

Quick Reply