Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exploring "no chill" brewing

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2011, 09:15 PM   #991
smiths9312
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruelkix View Post
IP you have a kegging setup as I recall? Just use a corny keg and give it a blast of co2 while it chills. I do no chill brewing in my sanke kegs all the time and I dont even bother with a co2 blast. Haven't had a problem yet (10-15 batches of 10 gallons) and it takes 2 days for my beer to chill (*knocks on wood*).

Just cap teh corny and give a blast of co2 to get teh air out and then leave the pressure release valve open so taht as the beer chills it doesnt put a negative pressure on the keg. Then you can either transfer to a carboy or just ferment in the corny if you have the equipment. Spend the money on an extra keg instead of a plastic jug.
I would just follow this advice or use an ale pale. They used Jerries in Australia because they were easy to get and cheap.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2011, 10:15 PM   #992
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiths9312 View Post
I would just follow this advice or use an ale pale. They used Jerries in Australia because they were easy to get and cheap.
They're cheap here too, it's just that at this time we've only found one supplier. If someone else has them (McMaster, etc.), and I'm sure someone out there does, then we'll be in business!

On-Deck:

Primary: Pumpkin Saison; Common Perry

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 03-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #993
ChadLeBald
In Hops We Trust
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruelkix View Post
I do no chill brewing in my sanke kegs all the time and I dont even bother with a co2 blast..
So are you going directly from kettle to the sanke? Whirlpooling first? And since you're not hitting it with co2, I'm guessing you aren't putting the 'ring' back in to hold the spike in place - is that right?

(lots of questions!)
Chad

On tap: Honey Rye Saison (& a dry-hopped version, too)
Conical: English Amber

www.three-group.com

Old 03-05-2011, 12:51 AM   #994
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 39 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Aquatainer's are available at Wal-Mart in the camping section. They work perfectly well for no-chill's.

http://www.relianceproducts.com/prod...ration/79.html

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 03-05-2011, 01:07 AM   #995
jeffmeh
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 114 Posts
Likes Given: 18

The Winpaks work very well also. I let it cool and ferment right in them.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23285

Old 03-05-2011, 01:29 AM   #996
cruelkix
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadLeBald View Post
So are you going directly from kettle to the sanke? Whirlpooling first? And since you're not hitting it with co2, I'm guessing you aren't putting the 'ring' back in to hold the spike in place - is that right?

(lots of questions!)
Chad

That's right. I took the spears out and I let it chill with a #11 stopper with a 3 piece airlock with the inside taken out. When it is down to temp (like 36-48 hours) I pitch the yeast and put the inside back in. Done and done. Then i use the keg washer i built using a copper pipe with slits and a sump pump. Its probably not the most sanitary system..... but it works pretty well for me.

Old 03-11-2011, 01:30 PM   #997
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2771 Times on 2720 Posts
Likes Given: 120

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmeh View Post
The Winpaks work very well also. I let it cool and ferment right in them.

http://www.usplastic.com/catalog/item.aspx?itemid=23285
I went with one of these and a 2.5g jerry for when I do 3G batches. I'll be doing my first no chill this Sunday with a Brown Ale. I hadn't realized you can then just pitch right into it until re-reading this thread to adjust my hop schedule. That's even better. I can't wait to see how much I enjoy the brew day over usual. I've always hated the chilling process since 08 when I started brewing.

Hop schedule was
1 oz Eask Kent at 60
1 oz Liberty at 30
1.5 oz Williamette at 5

Now it will be
1oz East Kent at 40
10z Liberty at 10
1.5oz Williamette at flame out, Let sit for 10 minutes, then transfer to Winpack.

That look right?

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo

Old 03-11-2011, 02:03 PM   #998
eulipion2
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 36 Times on 34 Posts

I actually have a hop schedule/amount question. I'm getting ready to brew my first IPA ever, and while I've done a few batches no-chill (anyone need help with a stout or American wheat?), my confidence is a little lacking for this one, as I've never brewed an IPA by any method. I'm looking at doing a SMaSH with Bravo hops to get a taste for them. I prefer a less bitter, more flavor-forward hoppiness. How's this look?

12 lb Maris Otter

1 oz Bravo (11.3-14.2% AA) FWH
.5 oz Bravo, cube-hop
1 oz Bravo, dry-hop in secondary.

Should I bump the cube-hop to a full ounce?

Thanks in advance.

On-Deck:

Primary: Pumpkin Saison; Common Perry

Kegged: BierMuncher's OktoberFAST Ale; Emmdub23's Belma Stout; Mosaic pilsner; Fir tip Maibock; Session IPA; Dry Apple Cider;

Bottled: Bacon488's Mild; Quad; Saison Americain; Tripel; Session Saison; Grodziskie; Belma/Strisselspalt Session Saison; Coffee Saison

Old 03-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #999
nutty_gnome
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Bravo is a bittering hop so its not going to have much flavor. I've not used it, but I think it similar to warrior which has a subtle flavor when used as a cube hop. If you want flavor out of a bitting hop that is known mostly for bittering, then you need to really go heavy on the cube hops. 2 ounces would not be outrageous if you balance the bittering contribution from the cube hops. Its up to you though.

Not knowing much about bravo is crippling my judgement in this instance.

N_G
It could be worse.

Old 03-11-2011, 02:09 PM   #1000
wedge421
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Hey guys just wanted to let you know that I posted a video of my all grain brew day with the no chill brew method. This was my first batch chilling this way! Let me know what you think. And thanks again for all the info!!

The Best Homebrew and Beer Review VIDEOS on the internets:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeerGeekNation
Buy Beer Geek Nation shirts - http://www.beergeeknation.com/store

Quick Reply