Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Experiment idea... No boil AG beer???

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-15-2010, 06:41 PM   #81
jjones17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Subscribed. This thread strikes me as someone saying:

"Experiment: Driving with my eyes closed, because the only bad thing that can happen is I could crash and kill myself or someone else or just damage my car. So, I am going to prove this wrong by only driving 15 meters straight with my eyes closed so I can say I proved everyone wrong that you really can drive with your eyes closed."

Not trying to be negative, just wanted to express that I am entertained and want to see your results - good on ya for doing something new, honestly.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2011, 10:38 PM   #82
Moneyjacket
Recipes 

so what happened?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:16 PM   #83
BrewSpook
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Sorry for the delay guys, spent the last 2 months dealing with a dying dog.

This beer turned out great! A buddy that just came back from London not too long ago almost drained half the keg himself.

Its a little heavy, not sure if its from mash temps, or maybe proteins left in the beer... but the last is great. I will post pics as soon as I can. I will call this a success. I mean, hell its been a couple of months and it there is no sign of contamination. Plus a right tasty beer.

Give me a woman who truly loves beer, and I will conquer the world. -- Kaiser Wilhelm II (1859-1941)

Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer. -- Henry Lawson

My DIY Tap Handles

My RIMs Toolbox

Old 09-07-2011, 02:45 PM   #84
greggor
Recipes 

Last weekend I did something similar though not entirely on purpose. I had planned to make a Berliner Weise but didn't entirely understand the reason for no boil (now I understand it is to preserve the lacto that naturally exists on the grain and keeping the lautered mash below 170F is an important part of the process). So I made a 10 gallon batch of wheat I sparged normally and collected 11.5 gallons added 1 oz of first wort hops (Cascade). I then brought the wort to 195F and held for 15 minutes. Then ran 4.5 gallons through my counterflow and boiled the rest with regular hop additions for a traditional American wheat. So now I have 2 brews 1 is pasteurized at 195 but not boiled and the other is a full hour boil. I added Whirlflock to the 1 hour boil brew. The biggest difference in the two worts is the boiled is considerably clearer and a bit darker. It will be interesting to note the other differences of the finished products. I will add a post in a few weeks. Final note I planned to use a WL630 Berliner Weise yeast in the no boil but my starter never took off so I substituted with a WL510 Bastogne yeast the other boiled version was pitched with a WL029 Kolsch. I'm going to split the no boil and pitch lacto in half to go with the original Berliner Weise theme and leave the other half with no bugs just to complete the no boil experiment. I may need to add some additional hop bitterness to this one per the above suggestions depending on the taste.

Quick Reply