New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Experiment: How to "un-hop" an accidentally double-hopped Irish stout.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 02:40 AM   #1
bigbeergeek
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Default Experiment: How to "un-hop" an accidentally double-hopped Irish stout.

It may sound like blasphemy to some (myself included), but I need to un-hop a batch of beer. I accidentally added 4 oz of fuggles (which corresponded to the 10 gallon version of my recipe) to my 5 gallon batch... and landed my beer at 69 IBUs! Needless to say, the hop head in me is a little excited to taste this skewed take on an otherwise traditional dry Irish stout, but this beer needs to be straightened out by St. Pat's day.

So my plan is to brew a NON hopped version of the same beer, 60 minute boil etc, and blend the two post fermentation.

Has anyone done this? Are there any theoretical concerns I should address in recipe formulation etc before I mash in for the 2nd time?

Thanks in advance by brewing brothers and sisters.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2011, 02:47 AM   #2
MalFet
/bɪər nərd/
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1197 Times on 790 Posts
Likes Given: 533

Curious to see how it turns out. I have heard of people doing this before, so that's a good sign. The tricky part is that, by my understanding, 4oz of hops is not twice as bitter as 2oz of hops. You could always try gradually blending to taste, but that might end you up with a few gallons of unused, unhopped stout.

Old 02-24-2011, 02:53 AM   #3
strat_thru_marshall
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 32

instead of brewing an unhopped batch and blending...why don't you brew up a new fresh batch for the st paddys day party and keep the hoppy one for yourself? Maybe oak age it and let those hops mellow out with some time?

Old 02-24-2011, 03:00 AM   #4
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

I would imagine that 4 oz of hops will be less utilized in 5 gallons of wort compared to 10 gallons of wort of the same gravity. I suppose I could lightly hop the 2nd beer...

...interesting thought strat, I thought of just re-brewing with the correct recipe, but then I wouldn't get to experiment. I like the idea of blending two beers, neither of which tastes quite like the intended final product. Plus, with an OG of 1.050, I don't expect this beer to stand up to extended aging very well...

Old 02-24-2011, 03:54 AM   #5
emjay
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 1711 Times on 1600 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If you use software for your recipes (like BeerSmith), figure out the IBUs with the hops you used, and then play with the amount of hops used to get to the IBUs needed to achieve an average of your intended IBUs.

Old 02-24-2011, 04:38 AM   #6
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
If you use software for your recipes (like BeerSmith), figure out the IBUs with the hops you used, and then play with the amount of hops used to get to the IBUs needed to achieve an average of your intended IBUs.
I like it emjay. I'm on the job!

Old 02-24-2011, 04:52 AM   #7
jbrookeiv
Beer Review Dude
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Is part of the point of hopping to help preserve the beer? I'm interested to see how this turns out.

My Beer Review Blog: Beer Review Dude
My Craft Beer Social Network: Craft Beer Network

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewtastic View Post
I think a more pertinent question is where is AB and Miller Coors getting all of their horse urine?
Primary: Belgian Pale Ale w. Brett | Saison | Mango Pulp Wine | Graff, 10 gal

Bottled / Kegged: Hopped Imperial Wheat | AK47 Pale Mild, BIAB | AHS 20th Anniv. IPA, No Chill | Apfelwein
Leftover IIPA, No Chill | All-Molasses Ale | BIAB Black IPA | BIAB Hoppy Stout | JAOM | RyePA

Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #8
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrookeiv View Post
Is part of the point of hopping to help preserve the beer? I'm interested to see how this turns out.
We could talk all night about the point of hopping (its bitter flavor, foam stabilizing properties, antibacterial properties, etc) but I think it would take more than 4 oz of hops to stabilize a 5% beer for any reasonable amount of aging.

I'll keep you posted...

Old 03-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #9
bigbeergeek
Recipes 

Update: blended the beers 50/50 into two cornies as best as I could eyeball it. Force carbed. They'll be served tomorrow afternoon so I'll update with tasting notes.

One more thing: the first batch fermented out to a lower FG than expected (1.008) so I mashed hotter than I ever have before, 160*F, on the second batch. Batch #2 had a SG reading of 1.010 on kegging day, and sure enough the gravity of the blended kegs were identical: 1.009. So I hopefully accomplished un-hopping and boosting the FG by a smidgen at the same time.

"Good people drink good beer." -HST

Old 03-11-2011, 11:27 PM   #10
LarsonLE
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbeergeek View Post
Update: blended the beers 50/50 into two cornies as best as I could eyeball it. Force carbed. They'll be served tomorrow afternoon so I'll update with tasting notes.

One more thing: the first batch fermented out to a lower FG than expected (1.008) so I mashed hotter than I ever have before, 160*F, on the second batch. Batch #2 had a SG reading of 1.010 on kegging day, and sure enough the gravity of the blended kegs were identical: 1.009. So I hopefully accomplished un-hopping and boosting the FG by a smidgen at the same time.
I am extremely curious to see how this turned out. That would be awesome if it turned out perfectly. I hope it goes well for you!

Quick Reply