*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Exchanging bittering hops

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #1
Jsta Porter
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Exchanging bittering hops

Hello,

Thanks in advance for the assistance.

Lately I have been changing out the bittering hops that I use, and adjusting to maintain the proper IBU. I have been doing this to use up some excess that I have in certain varieties. I have not maintained considerations for hops to style.

How much of an effect does the bittering hop have on flavor? From I can tell, not much. My boils have been mostly 90m, but some 60m. In the future I am thinking of using the cheapest hops (get some bulk high AAU and adjust) I can for bittering, and then using the appropriate style for aroma and flavor. Any reason why this would be a mistake?

Thanks!!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #2
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Yeah, not much. Most of the flavor compounds boil off after 60 minutes. I have bittered with large amounts of low alpha hops in beers that did not have any later additions and have noticed some hop flavor, but nothing upfront.

Buying a generic high alpha hop for bittering is a good idea IMO. This is especially true if you go with something that does not have a powerful flavor/aroma to begin with, Magnum and Horizon spring to mind.

Old 01-03-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 127 Posts

That's the whole idea behind the OSU High-alpha hop breeding program. I use Columbus pellets most of the time. Widmer makes a bittering blend called Amalgam and uses it in most of their brews.

I wouldn't try using Columbus in a recipe calling for Noble hops, but otherwise...

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-04-2009, 01:07 AM   #4
Jsta Porter
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Great, I value the input. I like the flexability of using other hops, and, besides I am pretty cheap and like to cut back on cost when I can.

Old 01-04-2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Piotr
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

They say, sometimes you can pick up the taste of bittering hops in some beers, especially in those made from light malts.

Quick Reply