Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Excellent efficiency = High OG = Low IBU

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Excellent efficiency = High OG = Low IBU

Yesterday, I brewed an AG Special Bitter and a PM Dunkel lager, and assumed 75% efficiency. I started the AG mash 25 mins earlier than the PM, to give me time to drain and sparge the AG. The mashes were stepped---133 for 30 mins, 153 for 45 mins, 158 for 20mins. I finished the AG, poured it from the mash tun into the false-bottomed vessel, drained it, then sparged with 4 gallons of 170f water. Then, instead of emptying the grains from the MLT, I just poured the dunkel's mash right on top of it. I figured, the grains that were in there already certainly wouldn't hurt the dunkel. I drained and sparged, and the boils went well.

The OG of the Bitter was supposed to be 1.053, and the Dunkel was supposed to 1.057.

The actual OG for the Bitter was 1.059, and the Dunkel was 1.068. Far be it from me to complain about excellent efficiency, but now my problem is that I have a 1.068 OG brew with only 23.8 IBU.

So what do I do now? I was thinking about boiling some hops in water for 45 minutes or so, then adding that to the secondary. Given that 1.068 is pretty high for a dunkel, I'm not worried about watering it down. Has anyone done this before? Would it be a good idea to steep some grains in it too? Is there any way to calculate the IBU increase when using just water?

Thanks!

EDIT: Then again, I was just messing around with ProMash, and for that recipe, I switched the BJCP style from Munich Dunkel to Traditional Bock. According to "Traditional Bock" style, 1.068 OG and 24 IBU's is right in the middle. The IBU range is 20-28, and the OG range is 1.064-1.072. So maybe I'll be okay. Thoughts?

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Last edited by Evan!; 04-09-2007 at 03:20 PM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2007, 06:41 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

I think you will be fine. If it had gone as planned, the IBU would be near the top of the range instead of the middle. A difference of 4 IBUs is difficult to taste in any case.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 04-09-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
cweston

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

FWIW, I take my gravity sample as soon as all the runnings are in the kettle, and put it to chill.

After the wort comes to a boil and I get the flame set so that I can leave it (but before adding the bittering hops), I go get the sample and take a reading.

Since I haven't yet added the kettle hops, this gives me options: boil down pre-kettle hops if the gravity is too low (or add DME), add more hops if the gravity is higher than expected, etc.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Old 04-09-2007, 06:55 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
FWIW, I take my gravity sample as soon as all the runnings are in the kettle, and put it to chill.

After the wort comes to a boil and I get the flame set so that I can leave it (but before adding the bittering hops), I go get the sample and take a reading.

Since I haven't yet added the kettle hops, this gives me options: boil down pre-kettle hops if the gravity is too low (or add DME), add more hops if the gravity is higher than expected, etc.
Given that my pre-boil volume is substantially higher than my post-boil volume, taking SG readings prior to the boil isn't terribly informative.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 04-09-2007, 06:58 PM   #5
cweston

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Given that my pre-boil volume is substantially higher than my post-boil volume, taking SG readings prior to the boil isn't terribly informative.
Sure it is--use total gravity points.

7.5 gallons at 1.045 = 7.5 * 45 = 337.5 points

If you plan to boil down to 5.5 gallons, then:

337.5 / 5.5 gals = 61.36 (i.e. 1.06136).

If you want to target a certian gravity, say, 1.065, then...

337.5 / 65 = 5.19 gallons

Secondary:

Old 04-09-2007, 08:15 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Except I don't have an accurate measure of my volumes. I can estimate it based on my mash infusion and sparge volumes, but between evap and grain absorption...it's always off of what I think it is. I've tried using the calculators in ProMash, but to little avail.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 04-09-2007, 08:21 PM   #7
cweston

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Except I don't have an accurate measure of my volumes. I can estimate it based on my mash infusion and sparge volumes, but between evap and grain absorption...it's always off of what I think it is. I've tried using the calculators in ProMash, but to little avail.
My ghetto solution to this:

Make a stick of some sort. Add water in 1/2 gallon increments to your brew kettle, marking the water level on the stick.

That gives an accurate enough estimate of the total volume of wort collected, in my experience.

Secondary:

Old 04-09-2007, 08:33 PM   #8
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
My ghetto solution to this:

Make a stick of some sort. Add water in 1/2 gallon increments to your brew kettle, marking the water level on the stick.

That gives an accurate enough estimate of the total volume of wort collected, in my experience.
How about an inanimate carbon rod?

Thanks for the advice. That'll help...

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Quick Reply