Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > enough Yeast? When to brew?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2008, 02:27 AM   #1
quickerNu
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default enough Yeast? When to brew?

I need a couple more primaries! They are tied up with an American Wheat and a Honey wheat brewed 4/23 and 4/27. I have done the recipes before, each time leaving them in the primary for 3 weeks, then straight to bottle, with great results. I am dying to brew my Schwarzbier, and my starter is getting pretty big:

It is at least a solid inch of sediment without cooling - a bunch still in suspension, about 20 hrs old.

Should I step it up and buy some time, (it is a lager) or chance a different flavor by racking my wheats to secondary and brew away?

[I'm back!]

Last edited by quickerNu; 05-07-2008 at 03:10 AM.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2008, 03:08 AM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickerNu View Post
I need a couple more primaries! They are tied up with an American Wheat and a Honey wheat brewed 4/23 and 4/27. I have done the recipes before, each time leaving them in the primary for 3 weeks, then straight to bottle, with great results. I am dying to brew my Schwarzbier, and my starter is getting pretty big:

Should I step it up and buy some time, (it is a lager) or chance a different flavor by racking my wheats to secondary and brew away?
What's the OG going to be on your beer? I am really bad about making starters and I've never had a lot of problems. I think that looks good to me for a style that is typically around 4-5%.

Old 05-07-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
Brett0424
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree. You shouldn't see much difference in flavor between using a secondary or not in that timeframe.

Old 05-07-2008, 12:25 PM   #4
quickerNu

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Cool. I would like to replicate everything exactly as before, but it probably wont make much difference. Dont know how much yeast action after FG is reached changes flavor. The lager is about 5%.

[I'm back!]

Old 05-07-2008, 01:44 PM   #5
Bad Shark Brew
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by quickerNu View Post
Cool. I would like to replicate everything exactly as before, but it probably wont make much difference. Dont know how much yeast action after FG is reached changes flavor. The lager is about 5%.
I don't believe the yeast changes the flavor profile much after FG is reached. From my understanding once the brew reaches FG, the yeast have pretty much done all they're going to do until you add other fermentables (ie: priming sugar for carbing). I'm pretty sure the aging process is more or less just to let the bitterness from the hops subside and for all the various flavors of the malts and such to "get to know each other".

Just my .02, I'm sure there's folks here who know more and could explan it better.
Kegged: Stout, Blonde Ale
Bottled: Dust
Upcoming: APA, Summer Ale

Quick Reply