Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > effects of mash pH

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 09:24 PM   #1
bb239605
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Default effects of mash pH

I'd thought I would put this story out here for others to benefit from.

So I moved a year ago to a place with extremely soft water. I thought, great!, I'll make a bunch of pilsners and other light beers. Well after about six months of beers that came out with a weird lingering bitterness I began to research some solutions.

Originally I tried all sorts of recipe modifications and technique changes. I tried all late hop additions, I tried lowering the amount of specialty malts, and pitching more yeast. I eventually realized it's not a problem of technique or sanitation. I sent away a water sample, and did some water calculations and realized my mash pH was probably close to 6!

So, next beer I made I adjusted the pH with lactic acid to 5.3 and instantly saw my efficiency jump by 10%! After fermentation and kegging the good news continued. That weird bitterness, that I now realize was an astringent flavor from my high mash pH, was gone!

Moral of the story here, mash pH is very important.

Old 01-06-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
SC_Ryan
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Experienced the same thing but with carbonate water.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply