Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Effect of Whirlpool/Hopstand on Boil Additions

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2014, 04:45 AM   #11
Brewcycle69
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
So in reading this correctly, seems the flavor and possibly to a lesser extent, aroma hop additions should be augmented by adding the hops in a whirlpool of 170*? I am envisioning being at flameout, crank up the pump, get the whirlpool rolling, then route the wort through the therminator (without running the cooling water). Once the temp reads 180* shut down the pump and add the hops. Sit for 20 mins then cool the wort to pitching temp and go to fermentor.
What I do is at flameout recirculate through my plate chiller until I hit 170F, then just turn off the water running through the chiller and keep recirculating. I usually recirculate for 20 -30 min, the temp will drift from 170F down to 160F.

Cheers.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2014, 12:23 PM   #12
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewcycle69 View Post
What I do is at flameout recirculate through my plate chiller until I hit 170F, then just turn off the water running through the chiller and keep recirculating. I usually recirculate for 20 -30 min, the temp will drift from 170F down to 160F.

Cheers.
What I have found to yield the best flavor and aroma is to crash as quickly as possible at the end of the boil after adding the last addition.

As for how steeping time effects flavor and aroma I have a recent example of that. A few months ago I made another batch of Boston Lager clone. This is one of my favorite beers and I like to have it on tap at all times. The brew day went great, but when I went to chill via whirlpool IC I got nothing when I turned on the faucet. The hose had frozen solid. 15 minutes of messing with the hose and 15 minutes of rigging up another cooling solution later I got the beer chilling. Where it normally takes me <5 minutes to get below 120 it had taken me ~30. There is very little hop flavor or aroma in that batch as a result. If I didn't know better I would say it wasn't the BL clone recipe at all, it tastes that different.

A point to remember is that if you are trying to clone a commercial brew then a whirlpool/hopstand step is going to be critical to get the same character in your finished beer. You need to get your process as close to theirs as possible to have success, and a commercial brewery just can't chill their batch as fast as we homebrewers can. They may have a 30 minute whirlpool that reduces hop flavor/aroma and adds bitterness. Large doses of dry hops are often used to offset this loss of volatile hop compounds.

An extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife.
Franklin P. Jones (1887-1929)

Old 04-17-2014, 09:33 PM   #13
grathan
Recipes 

Liked 131 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 80

What's you BL clone recipe? I'd love to try one..

Old 04-17-2014, 09:49 PM   #14
Weezy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 119

Good article here:

http://byo.com/component/k2/item/2808-hop-stands

Old 04-17-2014, 10:31 PM   #15
Setesh
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 264 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by grathan View Post
What's you BL clone recipe? I'd love to try one..
I pulled the recipe from the BeerSmith database. This is very close to the real thing:

http://beersmithrecipes.com/viewreci...on-lager-clone

Last time I brewed it I added .75 oz hallertauer for the 5 minute addition and threw in 1 ounce at flameout. This gave me more flavor and aroma without having to dry hop, which I am (sadly) too lazy to do most of the time It had a bit more hop flavor than the real deal but I really like it.

An extravagance is anything you buy that is of no earthly use to your wife.
Franklin P. Jones (1887-1929)

Quick Reply