EdWorts Apfelwein carbonate or no carbonate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edworts Apfelwein Carbonate or No Carbonate?

• Carbonate

• Don't Carbonate

Results are only viewable after voting.

JBrady

Reaction score
well now that my first batch of beer is in the primary im gonna make a batch of Edworts apfelwein. It seems idiot proof so maybe i can do it right:eek:. I just ordered the ingrediants less the juice and i have a question- I see that he says to use .75 cup of corn sugar to carbonate, but he uses the word "if" like carbonation is preference. So whats the best way to drink this stuff? I know its a opinionated question but im interested to find out why you think its better carbed or not carbed. Also i like how it says in the recipe post that his recipe is how its made in germany and that you cant get anything like it in the US, i like that and i guess I would like to try my first batch as close to the german method as possible, if that makes any sense. thanks for any info

I like my cider carbonated. You get more aroma and it gives it a refreshingly sharp edge.

Nice poll, I was wondering whether to carb or not. i have had a batch in the carboy since 5/26, I'll probably let it sit another month and then bottle. I usually use 4.5 oz to carb my beers but I filled this up the neck on the carboy so there is a little more deliciousness to carb. I am thinking I'll use a little over 5.0 oz of dextrose to carb it up. Any thoughts?...I wish I had the goods to keg...maybe some day...

I started my batch back in February and I'm getting ready to finally bottle it and I plan on using sugar to carb it up. Can't wait to bottle this one.

I wanted to carb mine, but after tasting, I think I prefer the stuff still. You can always add soda pop to carb it up and backsweeten in one fel swoop.

I like mine carbed, the SWMBO likes hers back sweetened with really light carbonation. So I usually do; half batch uncarbed, unsweetened, and half light carb, back sweetened.

how much sugar would you use to carb a 2 liter bottle. im going to be using pop bottles for my apfelwein but im only going to carb a couple to do a side by side comparison after aging for my own comparison

what level of carb. I'm kegging my homebrew and have just kegged my first batch of apfelwine. Can I hook it up on the same series I have my beer on at ~12psi?

Latest posts

Back