Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > The easy way to drain a BIAB bag

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #11
MagicSmoker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 61

I guess everyone wants to chime in with their different approaches to draining BIAB bags... Eh, why not? Had a thread like this been around a few weeks ago I might not have wasted my money buying two different size "boiling baskets", neither of which worked at all. The BBQ grill grate was the next thing I was going to buy, but then I realized I could just drill a bunch of holes in one of the spare lids I had as a result of buying those boiling baskets (one came with a pot and lid, hence the source of the second pot in the photo, which I use for "dunk sparging").

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-23-2013, 08:59 PM   #12
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 189

Quote:
Originally Posted by fizgig View Post
I stick mine in a giant plastic funnel.
Fantastic idea! I might use that as step 2 after the grate and the wort is boiling....

Old 04-24-2013, 03:43 PM   #13
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 52

I use this one: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/9-anti-splash-funnel-with-strainer.html

Spin the bag enough times, it fits. Last brew day I think was 15lbs or so of grain, funnel in bucket, grain bag in funnel, and it drains to the bottom, you can squeeze it in the funnel.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:47 PM   #14
Devin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 45 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 24

I just let mine hang just a bit over the kettle and squeeze the bejeebus out of it with a couple of pan lids.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:10 PM   #15
ZombieBrew83
Made in Detroit
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 12

My kettle is a Bayou Classic with a basket. I pull the bag-lined basket and let it sit on a cookie rack (similar to an oven rack) and push on the bag to help drainage. Works well so far.

Old 04-25-2013, 06:57 PM   #16
sicklesr
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I hang mine (I do 10 gallon batches) till it stops pouring wort out, then I toss it into a 5 gallon Homer bucket with holes drilled all over. That bucket sits in a bigger bucket, and i push on it with a lid.

photo-2-.jpg  

Primary || Hop Face Punch ||
Secondary || "Intentional" Sour Pumpkin Ale ||
Bottles || Big Brew Day Belgian, Apline Spring Clone, Rooibos Red Ale, Hudson Valley Hard Cider, "First" All Grain Stout, Rye Pale Ale ||

Old 04-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #17
Rake_Rocko
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

hey guys. I use a fish cleaning table (it was brand new, no fish were cleaned on it) to basically smash my bag. It has a lip all the way around the table, and is slightly angled so all the liquid flows towards one end. On that end is a drain that is has a tube connected to it. So what I do is transfer my bag to the table and smash it with a homemade stainless smashing contraption. All the liquid drains into a bucket that I pour right into the kettle before its even boiling.

This is so awesome becasue I dont have to touch the sticky, and not to mention very hot, bag, and it I can drain the bag very quickly. It works so well! If anyone is interested, I will post pictures next brew day of it in action.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 PM   #18
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rake_Rocko View Post
hey guys. I use a fish cleaning table (it was brand new, no fish were cleaned on it) to basically smash my bag. It has a lip all the way around the table, and is slightly angled so all the liquid flows towards one end. On that end is a drain that is has a tube connected to it. So what I do is transfer my bag to the table and smash it with a homemade stainless smashing contraption. All the liquid drains into a bucket that I pour right into the kettle before its even boiling.

This is so awesome becasue I dont have to touch the sticky, and not to mention very hot, bag, and it I can drain the bag very quickly. It works so well! If anyone is interested, I will post pictures next brew day of it in action.
something you made or purchased?

GD51

Old 04-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #19
Vellum
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 15 Posts

I place mine in a five gallon bucket with a bunch if holes in the bottom (essentially a huge colander) that is inside another five gallon bucket. It is pretty easy and at the price of two buckets (which I had laying around anyways)... pretty cheap. Multiple ways to skin a cat.

I like the oven grate over the pot as well but worry about dripping.

Old 04-28-2013, 12:34 PM   #20
Rake_Rocko
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmodog51

something you made or purchased?

GD51
It was a gift... But I am sure something similar can be made.

Quick Reply