*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > The easy way to drain a BIAB bag

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
MagicSmoker
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 61

Default The easy way to drain a BIAB bag

I'm a relatively new brewer, and an engineer by profession, so it was inevitable that I would start tinkering with the brewing process at some point. It didn't take me too many batches before I realized that BIAB was the way to go (for me, anyway), but one step I had already come to loathe was holding the ^%$#$ bag full of grain above the pot to let the absorbed wort drain out.

The solution I came up with - after spending more than I care to admit on aluminum boiling baskets, pulleys, etc. - is fairly simple: I just drilled a bunch of holes in the aluminum lid that came with my turkey fryer. I don't use the lid otherwise - I leave the pot uncovered during the boil, and cover it with a spatter screen when it is cooling down - so I figured what the heck... I removed the handle by grinding off the rivets then drilled a bunch of holes with a step drill (aka "Unibit") so I wouldn't have to deburr them, I had hoped. Sadly, they did require deburring anyway, so I lightly and quickly "kissed" each hole with a 1/2" twist drill bit and that took the burrs off reasonably well.

Today was the first test of FrankenLid, and I am proud to report it worked quite well:

biab_drain_lid_2.jpg  

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-14-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
lowtones84
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 190

Yeah, I do something similar but not as involved. I just stick the bag on top of a pot that isn't quite big enough for the bag to slide into. Nothing usually drips over the sides because the liquid wants to drain from the middle of the bag. But I pretty much never do recipes with more than 10.5-11 lbs. of grain so I don't think my method would work as well if I had a large grain bill.

Anyhow, looks nice and looks like it will work for ya!

Edit: I still hold it for a minute and squeeze the bag a little bit, then move it over. It does involve another vessel, so I have to pour what collects into the other pot into my main kettle, but it's still much better than holding the bag forever!

Last edited by lowtones84; 04-14-2013 at 08:37 PM. Reason: Clarification

Old 04-14-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
MagicSmoker
Recipes 

As you can see off to the right in the pic there is another pot... that was from when I purchased a stock pot + strainer basket from Home Depot, thinking I could use the strainer basket as a convenient way to support the grain bag when it was dangling over the bucket. I don't use the strainer basket at all, but I do use the stock pot to "dunk sparge" the grain bag after it has drained into the main mashing/boiling pot for a few minutes.

Old 04-14-2013, 09:57 PM   #4
Epimetheus
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 76 Posts
Likes Given: 53

A very neat job.

And thank you, it validates the way I have been brewing. I use a tamale pot exactly because those pots have a perforated disk suspended 1 1/2 " from the bottom, very much like your lid. I installed a 1/2" spigot between the disk and bottom. The bag is drained through the disk and spigot to a bucket on the floor, then I press out more wort with a random metal lid that fits into the pot. I do a small sparge with the make-up water and the efficiency is pretty good. The pot is thin walled and would probably be deformed by a high output gas burner. It is OK for electric brewing.

Add your water analysis to the water report map! Instructions on this thread

Old 04-14-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
MagicSmoker
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epimetheus View Post
A very neat job.

And thank you, it validates the way I have been brewing. I use a tamale pot exactly because those pots have a perforated disk suspended 1 1/2 " from the bottom, very much like your lid. I installed a 1/2" spigot between the disk and bottom. The bag is drained through the disk and spigot to a bucket on the floor, then I press out more wort with a random metal lid that fits into the pot. I do a small sparge with the make-up water and the efficiency is pretty good. The pot is thin walled and would probably be deformed by a high output gas burner. It is OK for electric brewing.
Huh... I saw a tamale pot at Target recently (looking for other items to (ab)use for brewing) and thought it looked interesting. I'll have to give it a second look.

That said, I suspect that the wall thickness on the tamale pot I saw was about the same as my cheap turkey fryer pot... Because the top edge is rolled over I can't get my micrometer onto it to measure, though. It might just stand up to a propane burner fine. At least the ~50k btu one on the el-cheapo turkey fryer, anyway.

Old 04-15-2013, 01:59 AM   #6
Naturallight16oz
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I use a 3 gallon bucket, that i drilled hundreds of holes into. I then put that into a 5 gallon bucket.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #7
gizmodog51
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

when using my mega pot i found an oven rack placed over the pot works great to allow the bag to set and drain.

racks usually are hard chromed or stainless and are designed to support lots of weight.....( 25 lbs turkey plus pan so provides good support when squeezing the bag. i have pushed down while squeezing the bag with moderate force with no issues.

usually just grab a rack from our oven.....

so far this has worked with over 13 lbs of grain.

GD

Old 04-16-2013, 03:55 PM   #8
fizgig
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 54

I stick mine in a giant plastic funnel.

Old 04-20-2013, 06:37 AM   #9
pdxal
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 94 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 136

I use a collander over a pot after a dunk sparge.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:37 AM   #10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 190

$5 BBQ grate for me. I use the lid to smash down on it til it looks like a hamburger

image.jpg  

Quick Reply