Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dumping on a Yeast Cake?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2007, 05:35 PM   #11
cweston
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5gBrewer
That doesn't seem like very wide tubing, you've never experienced clogging using that method?

5gB
Nope: it's a much larger opening than the intake of an airlock (I think it's about a 1/2 " tube that I use.)

It's worth mentioning that my brewkettle has a SS braid in the bottom, so I get very little trub in the primary. If there were more trub, then I guess clogging of the blowoff tube might be more of a concern.

Primary: none
Secondary:
Bottle conditioning: Robust Porter
Drinking: Saison Dupont clone, tripel
Coming soon: Columbus APA, Rich Red ale

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2007, 05:37 PM   #12
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
I'm a little off topic in my own thread, but I'm not familiar with 'washing yeast'. How do you wash the yeast? How do you store the then washed yeast for later use?

Thanks! 5gB
It's a whole new topic. Do a search and you'll find loads of threads and info.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:50 PM   #13
olllllo
[]-O-[]

Recipes 

Liked 126 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 13

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthre...ast+Washing%22
Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 01-05-2007, 07:25 PM   #14
5gBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cweston
Nope: it's a much larger opening than the intake of an airlock (I think it's about a 1/2 " tube that I use.)

I checked out my lids, and my 3 piece airlock. I suppose your technique may indeed work. I imagined the opening to be much smaller, but it is probably about the size you said (around 1/2", maybe a little less to get that snug fit of the 1/2" tubing).

Thanks for all your help everyone! I think my plan of action is going to be this:

1) Scoop out (and wash some yeast cake, and leave like half a cake in the primary to rack my new wort onto.

2) Attach a suitable sized blowoff tube to my existing lid.

3) Pray it still doesn't pop!!!

Since a lot of you guys said that racking onto a yeast cake creates a fast and furious fermentation, I'm going to perform this operation on a Saturday (probably next saturday). This way, if there is a nasty mess to clean up, I'll have the time to fuss with it

5gB

Old 01-05-2007, 09:32 PM   #15
Brewing Clamper

Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 2

So, what size ID tube should the blow off be for a standard glass carboy?

--Omar

4 Ohms Aleworks & Lagers | Twitter | Facebook | Blog |

Old 01-05-2007, 09:49 PM   #16
5gBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default More Blowoff Questions

More Blowoff Questions

I was reading on another thread about exploding lids and such, and someone had recommended to just leave the sanitized lid resting on top of the bucket (not sealed). Then, once the fermentation action calms down a bit, press the lid down.

1) If I went with this route, I would assume that all sorts of foam, krausen, and crap is going to come spilling out of the bucket at some point, correct?

2) Would placing the loosely covered bucket in something like a deep aluminum turkey pan be enough to catch whatever spills over, or is there still going to be spouting beer action?

3) I'm still planning on going with the tubing idea, but I read on the same thread about someone who's lid blew off when using 1/2" tubing; so I'm a little nervous about going that route, but is it better than leaving the lid on the bucket loosely?

I know I sound like I need to relax, and have a homebrew I wouldn't care so much if I had a decent place for 6.5g ale pails to explode

5gB

Old 01-05-2007, 09:53 PM   #17
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 30

A lot of people used to (and some still do) ferement in open containers!

I'd put the container on a tray, put an air lock in bu don't snap the lid on. After peak krausen just snap the lid on and clear anything in the airlock.

Yup, have a homebrew

Old 01-06-2007, 02:38 PM   #18
knipknup
Bloody John Roberts

Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Soon, get a carboy and use a blowoff tube into your bucket. You will never have to worry again. Every batch I've brewed has had lots of foam and goodness cruising through the blowoff tube and into the bucket of water. Never had a mess to clean up - other than washing the bucket. Very nice!

Every pirate lives for something different. For some, it's the open sea. For others (the masochists), it's the food. For you, it's definitely the fighting. Two things complete your pirate persona: style and swagger. Maybe a little too much swagger sometimes -- but who really cares? Arr!

Old 01-06-2007, 03:08 PM   #19
sonvolt
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:

Here are my questions:

1) Will dumping on the entire yeast cake be too much for my 6.5g ale pail to handle with just an air lock, or will I have to rig up a blowoff tube?

2) If I scoop out (with a sanitized scooper of course) about half of the yeast cake, and then dump the fresh wort on top, would I need a blowoff tube, or would my airlock be sufficient?

Thanks for your help!

5gB
I use Nottingham yeast a lot - and I dump on the yeast cake of it. For the first batch, I just sprinkle the dried yeast on top of the wort. When that beer is finished, I pitch a new wort right on top of the entire yeast cake. I generally get bubbles within an hour or two and fermentation is complete in 24-36 hours. I have never had a blow-off (I use a plastic bucket for primary), and I have never had off-flavors from this practice.

In short, I am a bit skeptical about the whole business of too-vigorous-is-bad philosophy, but I have yet to gather the courage to put a third batch of wort on that huge amount of yeast.

I haven't done the math, but a packet of yeast after 10 gallons of 1.050-1.060 beer fermented has to yield an astronomically high cell count.

Old 01-06-2007, 04:34 PM   #20
Torchiest

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

That's the starter for a 15BBL batch at a brewpub.

#48 Black Helicopter Porter #49 Pikemen Porter
Up Next:
#50 Imperious IPA
#51 Razz Buried

Quick Reply