Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dummy Proof Dry Hopping

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-30-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
BigDaddyBeard
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 53 Posts

Default Dummy Proof Dry Hopping

Still a noob and am on my 6th batch of either an IPA or Pale Ale that needs to be dry hopped. I typically rack into my carboy with the leaf hops already inside and let the transferring swirl them around. They still stay dry for another couple days before they seem full saturated. Am I getting the utmost utilization from them? I wish I could get in there to squeeze them, but not possible. How does everyone else dry hop?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-30-2013, 05:52 PM   #2
MachineShopBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 68 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Pellets.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:03 PM   #3
dryboroughbrewing
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 86 Posts
Likes Given: 3

My usual practice these days is to pressure transfer into a purged keg full of my dry hops, dry hop them for 3-5 days, if I'm doing a second round I'll pressure transfer to another purged keg full of hops, if not, I'll crash that keg and pressure transfer to a serving keg.

Old 10-30-2013, 06:23 PM   #4
ICWiener
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 105 Times on 91 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I wait until fermentation is done then I open up the carboy, dump a bunch of pellets in and seal it back up. It doesn't have to be complicated unless you want it to be.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:09 PM   #5
Upthewazzu
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICWiener View Post
I wait until fermentation is done then I open up the carboy, dump a bunch of pellets in and seal it back up. It doesn't have to be complicated unless you want it to be.
Do the pellets usually saturate and fall to the bottom after a period of time? My next batch will be the first dry hop IPA I've ever done. I'll do it in secondary (I secondary all my beers spare me the lecture!), I'd be worried about hop crud floating around when I bottle.

Kegged: Angel IPA
Kegged: Fuggles Bitter Brown
Kegged: Palouse Wheat

Old 10-30-2013, 07:29 PM   #6
ICWiener
Recipes 

Quote:
Do the pellets usually saturate and fall to the bottom after a period of time? My next batch will be the first dry hop IPA I've ever done. I'll do it in secondary (I secondary all my beers spare me the lecture!), I'd be worried about hop crud floating around when I bottle.
Yes, they settle out for the most part. I give the carboy a gentle swirl once or twice a day to help get them down. I've only had one dry-hopped beer give me trouble. 3 oz of Mosaic in an IPA about 6 months ago. They would not go down. It was the weirdest thing. Even then, bottling was fine, I had minimal amounts of hop particulate in the finished product.

And I won't lecture you. Secondary or don't....it's no skin off my ass.

Old 10-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #7
BigDaddyBeard
Recipes 

Ok that's what I do when I have pellets, but I have 3 pounds of whole leaf in the freezer. Also I should have mentioned that I bottle not keg so I don't have the cool trickery of you keggers. I looked a little into "rousing" using co2. Anyone have any experience with it?

Old 10-30-2013, 07:40 PM   #8
ICWiener
Recipes 

Quote:
but I have 3 pounds of whole leaf in the freezer. Also I should have mentioned that I bottle not keg so I don't have the cool trickery of you keggers.
I bottle too. Cheers!

When dealing with whole leaf hops, I do one of two things:

1) If the beer went into a bucket for primary I fill up a sanitized nylon sack with hops and a weight, then gently drop it into the beer (after fermentation's complete).

2) If the beer went into a carboy for primary I dump the leaf hops into a sanitized 5 gal carboy, then rack the beer onto them.

I've never worried about rousing. But that's just me.

Old 10-31-2013, 01:36 AM   #9
BigDaddyBeard
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICWiener
I bottle too. Cheers! When dealing with whole leaf hops, I do one of two things: 1) If the beer went into a bucket for primary I fill up a sanitized nylon sack with hops and a weight, then gently drop it into the beer (after fermentation's complete). 2) If the beer went into a carboy for primary I dump the leaf hops into a sanitized 5 gal carboy, then rack the beer onto them. I've never worried about rousing. But that's just me.
Ok I am not far off of what you are doing. Just chasing after that big hop flavor and am getting a bit closer every time. Maybe I will try rousing and see if it helps

Quick Reply