Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dual buckets, dual spigots

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2007, 12:41 AM   #1
thedaler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dual buckets, dual spigots

Does anyone use this set-up? Basically use two plastic fermenters, both with spigots. You would use one as the primary, when its done use the spigot to transfer into the bottling bucket, then bottle. I realize that getting too much trub in the bottling bucket might be a concern, but it seems like the hole is high enough not to affect it much, especially if you use a paint filter on the tubing. Also, I've seen this set-up in many of the kits sold online, and Alton Brown did this in his brewing episode (which I realized was flawed in many ways). It seems like this would make the entire process much easier, siphoning is what I hate the most out of the process.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2007, 12:51 AM   #2
Moonpile

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedaler
Does anyone use this set-up? Basically use two plastic fermenters, both with spigots. You would use one as the primary, when its done use the spigot to transfer into the bottling bucket, then bottle. I realize that getting too much trub in the bottling bucket might be a concern, but it seems like the hole is high enough not to affect it much, especially if you use a paint filter on the tubing. Also, I've seen this set-up in many of the kits sold online, and Alton Brown did this in his brewing episode (which I realized was flawed in many ways). It seems like this would make the entire process much easier, siphoning is what I hate the most out of the process.
Really? I find siphoning is maybe time consuming, but not that big of a deal really.

We've been experimenting with when to use a regular cane/hose setup and when to use the autosiphon.

If you haven't tried an autosiphon, you should. It's ~$11 well spent.

So far we've concluded that the cane/hose is best for siphoning out of a carboy b/c you can really aim it. The autosiphon is good for a bucket or brew kettle, since the thicker shaft doesn't matter with an open topped vessel.

On our last brew we whirlpooled the wort while it was cooling in an ice bath and then (auto)siphoned the wort away from the hops. We left a lot of hops in the kettle that way.

Also, in any situation where you don't care about turbulence or whatever, the autosiphon works as a simple hand pump.

I admit that setting up a siphon without an autosiphon is easier with more than one person.

Here's how I do it, in case this helps. We keep a keg tub a bit more than half full of sanitizer solution throughout any session. I sanitize everything then get the hose on the cane. Then hold the cane end up and let the other end spiral slowly down into the solution, filling the hose. Get the solution up into the cane as much as you reasonably can and then cap the hose end with your thumb. Hold the cane up and flick it a bit to get excess sanitizer off. Put the cane into the carboy and release the other end into a smaller vessel (we use a 1 gal pitcher that we also use for gal measures). Once beer flows through, crimp the hose and place it in the bottom of the bottling bucket or secondary and let it go again. Then it's just a matter of making sure you don't loose siphon and tilting the carboy up.

Cheers!

Moon

Old 05-12-2007, 01:01 AM   #3
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I have done it that way for low grav beers that I didn't transfer to a secondary. It works and it is very easy.

Old 05-12-2007, 03:28 AM   #4
jayflap
Recipes 

My fear of using a spigot on a primary bucket is that you have an addition area for bacteria to hide. But if you sanitization methods are spot on, you should have no issues.

Alcohol, the cause and solution to all of lifes problems.
Check out the Center City Brewing Company

Milwaukee Area and Chicago Land Brewers Group

Old 05-12-2007, 03:31 AM   #5
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 378 Times on 311 Posts
Likes Given: 100

I've seen where people use a similar setup with Better Bottles and their racking ports, using CO2 to push the beer so that it's a completely closed system. Me, I'm fine with how I'm doing this now. My only concern is whether you'd be able to completely sanitize the spigot before using it (since the bucket would be full of beer).

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Old 05-12-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayflap
My fear of using a spigot on a primary bucket is that you have an addition area for bacteria to hide. But if you sanitization methods are spot on, you should have no issues.
~20 batches or so with a spigot on primary and have not had a problem yet. My biggest worry has been trying to keep it cool enough. Since it has that additional area for bacteria, I refuse to set it in a bathtub full of water. Even if I don't plan to use the spigot it still scares me.

Right now, for the first time, I have my primary sitting in a large pail full of water. This was a cheap batch so I wasn't so worried about losing it.

Old 05-12-2007, 11:03 AM   #7
jayflap
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fezzman
~20 batches or so with a spigot on primary and have not had a problem yet. My biggest worry has been trying to keep it cool enough. Since it has that additional area for bacteria, I refuse to set it in a bathtub full of water. Even if I don't plan to use the spigot it still scares me.

Right now, for the first time, I have my primary sitting in a large pail full of water. This was a cheap batch so I wasn't so worried about losing it.
How about a bathtub full of vodka??

I just had a thought. Obviously the spigot can be easily removed before hand to sanitize, the thing is keeping it sanitized after the fact. Could you turn the spigot up and fill it with Star San (or vodka) to keep the inside of the spigot clean. It would obviously have to be a sanitizer that would be able to last the week + of primary but it might work. I would think that Iodaphor or One Step would lose it's effectiveness at that length of time.

Sure it's a weird option, but it might work.

Jason

Alcohol, the cause and solution to all of lifes problems.
Check out the Center City Brewing Company

Milwaukee Area and Chicago Land Brewers Group

Old 05-12-2007, 12:10 PM   #8
JnJ
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I use a bucket with spigot as primary, then a Better Bottle with racking port as secondary, and then when I was bottling, I used the first bucket again as the bottling bucket.

Töpperwein Brewery

Old 05-12-2007, 06:25 PM   #9
fezzman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayflap
How about a bathtub full of vodka??

I just had a thought. Obviously the spigot can be easily removed before hand to sanitize, the thing is keeping it sanitized after the fact. Could you turn the spigot up and fill it with Star San (or vodka) to keep the inside of the spigot clean. It would obviously have to be a sanitizer that would be able to last the week + of primary but it might work. I would think that Iodaphor or One Step would lose it's effectiveness at that length of time.

Sure it's a weird option, but it might work.

Jason
That lead to another thought. Attach a hose to the spigot and leave the hose hanging outside of the tub. Fill the hose with vodka where it loops down into the tub. This way the tub could be filled much higher than the level of the spigot.

I doubt I'd go to that extreme but it would likely work.

Old 05-12-2007, 06:37 PM   #10
Denny's Evil Concoctions
Grande Megalomaniac
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 42 Posts

If you find siphoning tine consuming, try using 1/2" id tubing and the 1/2" autosiphon. Much quicker.

I may not be an expert, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express........ 6 months ago.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/denn...9/#post1766281

http://groups.homebrewtalk.com/Tapro...ook_Repository

Quick Reply