New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Drying wheat grain

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 10:30 AM   #1
harshbansal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Drying wheat grain

Hello brewers
Just starting to brew my own beer at home. And i am facing a lot of problems. I managed to germinate my wheat. But i dont know how to dry the wheat. And everytime i sun dried it the outside temp roasted the grain and it was completly spoilt. I was wondering should i dry the grains at all ??? Cant i just grind the wet grain and use it in the mash.
And how much sugar should i use to for making a good wheat beer.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-16-2012, 01:44 PM   #2
dwarven_stout
Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Welcome to the forum. There are some threads here about home malting. In general, you want to germinate the grain as you've done, and let the rootlet grow to 1/3-1/2 the length of the husk. If you don't have a better option for drying, you can dry the grain by pouring a few pounds into a pillowcase or similar, and tossing it into your dryer on low heat. Where are you that outside temps would roast the grain?! Don't use any sugar for a wheat beer. Half wheat malt and half barley is a perfectly good start. There are lots of recipes over here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f70/

"I can't believe how many people think Air Lock is pronounced Hydrometer." -BigKahuna
"If you gave me a beer with placenta in it without telling me I would kick you in the nuts." -ODaniel
"We be in a big hurry for dope beer with much alcamahol and flavor, quality, balance, and aroma don't matter. We just wantz to be druck, u know?" -Yooper

Old 04-17-2012, 03:11 AM   #3
harshbansal
Recipes 

Hi Dwarven
I am from India. And the outside temp is 40 c. Nearly 100 f. Well the reason i write to you is i am a new. In india i am not supposed to brew beer by law. So we dont have access to quality grains.

Anyway we get good quality wheat i hope thats good enough for brewing. I am a little skeptical because before sundrying the grains they were giving out a nice sweet smell. But after a couple of hours in the sun the sweetness was lost. Is that normal ??

And if that is normal can you please guide me as to how long should i dry the grains for.

And one last question. What if i dont dry the grains at all.What if i just gring the grains while they are moist. I am quiet sure we can extract the sweetness out of the moist grains. Is that going to be all right or do i sound like a total new idiot.

But anyway Thanks a lot dwarven for such a quick reply. Will hear from you soon.

Quick Reply