Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Drying out a beer, amylase, beano, sugar?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 11:19 PM   #1
ericd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Drying out a beer, amylase, beano, sugar?

Hi, I have a beer that's done fermenting but it's still a little sweet for my tastes. What's the best way to dry it out at this point, amylase, beano, sugar or something else?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009, 11:23 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 37 Posts

Before anyone can help, what is the recipe, OG and FG?

I can definitely tell you to stay away from beano or any enzyme post boil. If you add them to an already fermented beer, there is no way to denature them. Sugar could be an option depending on the FG.

Old 02-02-2009, 11:24 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4635 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 909

Pitching a more attenuative yeast would be my first choice, depending on the ingredients and the OG and current FG.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:35 AM   #4
Got Trub?
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

The only way to "dry out" a beer with sugar is to replace an equivalent amount of malt with sugar in the recipe. Adding additional sugar to an already fermented beer will add ABV - assuming the yeast hasn't given up the ghost - it will not lower your FG.

GT

Old 02-03-2009, 08:36 AM   #5
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Got Trub? View Post
The only way to "dry out" a beer with sugar is to replace an equivalent amount of malt with sugar in the recipe. Adding additional sugar to an already fermented beer will add ABV - assuming the yeast hasn't given up the ghost - it will not lower your FG.

GT
um, yes it will. How will basically adding alcohol which has a lower S.G. than the beer not lower the overall gravity?

although my vote on the issue goes to try again and change some things.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:14 PM   #6
john from dc
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

is it still in primary? if the temps have been low, my first try is always to swirl it a bit to resuspend some yeast and warm it up.

after that, you could repitch, or add some sugar. or blend it with a more bitter beer during bottling/kegging.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:48 PM   #7
remilard
Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 37 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by z987k View Post
um, yes it will. How will basically adding alcohol which has a lower S.G. than the beer not lower the overall gravity?

although my vote on the issue goes to try again and change some things.
It will lower the SG and probably thin the mouthfeel a bit but it won't remove any carbohydrates which happen to taste sweet.

I'm not particularly advocating for any solution here but just to toss out another, isomerized hop oil extract may help to balance the beer.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

I'd try a higher attenuating yeast first. Then amylase.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-03-2009, 06:05 PM   #9
CBBaron

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

The best way to make a drier beer is to start before the boil.

Replacing malt sugar with table sugar will result in a lower FG. Adding sugar will result in a similar FG but higher ABV which makes it seem drier. The difference between alcohol and water is pretty small so the effect on FG of additional alcohol is minimal.
If making AG mashing at a lower temp will result is more fermentable wort.
Amylase can be used pre boil to help break down complex sugars to more fermentable ones. Boiling halts the process allowing for controllable fermentability.

Adding Amylase post boil does not provide any way to denature the enzyme. The reaction can take a very long time resulting in either bottle bombs or a very long ferment. Not recommended.

Your best options is warmer fermentation temps and swirling the fementer to rouse the yeast. If that is not sufficient then i would suggest bottling the beer and enjoy a sweet beer and start planning how you will change things next time.

Craig

Old 02-03-2009, 06:14 PM   #10
pjj2ba
Look under the recliner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 195 Times on 161 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I've got an Imperial Alt going that had an OG of 1.10. It went down nicely to 1.036 and stopped. It actually didn't taste too sweet, but I want it to get lower. I added some fresh yeast of the same kind and that did nothing, so I picked up a vial of the White labs super high gravity strain and added that after a couple of days I saw renewed activity and it has been slowly chugging away for 3 weeks now. I need to check it one of these days soon.

Primary: Pale Ale
Brewing soon: Saison
Recently kicked : ( IPA, Bock, Saison,
Pilsner Urquell Master Homebrewer
(1st NYC 2011, 2nd NYC 2012)
P U crowns winners in its inaugural master HB competition

Quick Reply