New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Yeast Rehydration and O2 experiment

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2007, 01:44 AM   #51
Kaiser
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 113 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenb
Ok maybe i missed it, but what is the difference in the control batch vs the others, and why did it have so much lower of a FG?
It basically comes from the fact that yeast doesn't stop when all the fermentable sugars are gone but oftentimes stops before that point. This is normal and a function of the yeast strain and feementation conditions. I wrote about it here.

Kai

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-12-2008, 12:31 AM   #52
korndog

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_M View Post
I'm highly in favor of having this experiment repeated by others both with the same conditions and with other variances. If I get the ambition up again, I might try a higher gravity and slightly lower pitch rate to simulate a vile/propagator pack direct pitch.

I'm reluctant to try bottling the samples because I suspect all the sample taking may have introduced some oxidation. Maybe not. I suppose I can fill two bottles per sample and just drop 3/4 tsp of sugar into each bottle.

I'll try to have two tasting sessions in January where I can get a few local brewers to blind taste test and take notes.
I would be very interested to see results for Safale 05 with a high gravity wort in the 1.080 range.

"..can the human soul be glimpsed through a microscope? Maybe, but you'd definitely need one of those very good ones with two eyepieces."

Twitter: LarryKonis

Old 05-12-2008, 03:39 AM   #53
ScubaSteve

Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 10

As has been mentioned, this experiment is only valid for this type of yeast....but let me add that using o2 was probably irrelevant and probably a hindrance due to the fact that dry yeast is packaged with optimal glycogen stores, etc. and does not need the o2 to reproduce. When using liquid yeast, O2 definitely has its place...but again...if you've already been adding it to your starter, you probably don't need to add it to your wort because the yeast has already taken up most of the o2.

Quick Reply