Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Stout Alkalinity

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2009, 03:28 PM   #1
brad451
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Dry Stout Alkalinity

I am having trouble getting my alkalinity into the stout range without excessive sodium or calcium additions. Here is my water profile (as CaCo3):

Calcium 98
Magnesium 35
Alkalinity 40
Sodium 12
Chloride 20
Sulphate 39
Ph 9.5

Residual Alkalinity -51

Any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I found this spreadsheet app on the forum a while ago; you can find it by searching for "Mash Water Chemistry Calculator"

Anyway I plugged in some of your numbers and it solved with the following additions. This recipe is for 8 gallons, the units are in tsp for each addition.

You'll want to get the zip file and modify this more yourself to tweak it

Chalk(CaCo3) 1.70
Gypsum (CaSO4 2H20) 0.63
Baking Soda (NaHCO3) 0.86

File Type: zip DryStoutAddAlkalinity.zip (29.2 KB, 13 views)

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 02-02-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
brad451
Recipes 

Thanks for the info. I guess I am going to have to live with either high sodium or high calcium. Incidentally, do you have any idea how much acidity a roasted grain, like a black patent, will add to the mash? I'm guessing that the residual alkalinity is going to depend largely upon the amount of darker malts added to the mash.

Old 02-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #4
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I don't know exactly how much acidity is added, the attached spreadsheet above gives you an idea of how the SRM affects the amount of residual alkalinity you'll need to start with in your water.

The above additions give you a fairly close approximation of what you'd want for calcium/sodium/sulfate/RA in a dry stout. Given the water you have.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply