Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping while Bulk Aging?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2008, 09:24 PM   #1
freyguy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Dry Hopping while Bulk Aging?

I searched around but couldn't really find anything. On my 90min IPA clone, it calls for dry-hopping. I don't have any kegs open, and prob won't for a bit, so I'm gonna let this one sit in the secondary for a bit at around 56*F in my basement until a keg frees up. My question is, do I dry hop as soon as I move to the secondary, then rack off of it after 2 weeks? Or do I put it in the secondary, and try to time the dry hop when I think it will be about 2 weeks until the keg is ready?

I use carboys, so pulling a hop bag out isn't too easy, but I don't mind moving it to a third carboy after the dry hop. I'm just thinking that I should try to hop it close to the kegging so it'll keep the most aroma???

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-22-2008, 02:15 PM   #2
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by freyguy
Or do I put it in the secondary, and try to time the dry hop when I think it will be about 2 weeks until the keg is ready?
Do that. Or, just toss them in there now and leave them in until you are ready to keg. There's no reason to rack off the hops. You'll be fine.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 02-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 136 Times on 129 Posts

I'd wait until the batch is in the keg and dry hop there. Bag them and leave them in the keg for a week. Some times, I'll dry hop a second time if a keg gets boring.

Works all three ways.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Quick Reply