Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping: When/How to transfer & bottle?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-21-2006, 03:43 PM   #1
Evan!
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 69 Times on 61 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Dry Hopping: When/How to transfer & bottle?

So I made an IPA, my first attempt at a true IPA; it came from Papazian's "Palilalia" recipe, but slightly modified. Part of that modification was a dry-hop, which I've never done before.

So, my beer is sitting in secondary, dry hopping, in a 5-gal carboy. It's been in there with about an oz or so of wholeleaf Cascade, and some lime basil leaves. I don't want to over-dryhop it...so I'm thinking about bottling soon. It's been dryhopping for a week now...how long should I wait?

Also, when I do end up racking into the bottling bucket, is there anything special that I need to do? I'm afraid that the hops will clog the racking tube.

Thanks!

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2006, 06:40 PM   #2
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 126 Posts

A week is good. Some kind of cloth wrapped around the inlet is your best bet. A grain bag would work.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 08-21-2006, 06:48 PM   #3
ian

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have put a hop bag (or anything like that, a piece of pantyhose would work) over my autosiphon's intake (or you could put it around the end of your plain siphon hose for that matter). From there into the keg or bottling bucket ought to work fine from you.

Old 08-21-2006, 07:50 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42
A week is good. Some kind of cloth wrapped around the inlet is your best bet. A grain bag would work.
Cool...I have some grain socks I can use. What's a good way of attaching them to my racking cane?

As for the time issue, I've heard the 1-2-3 rule being brandied about regularly---1 week in primary, 2 weeks in secondary, 3 weeks in bottle. However, I did one week in primary, then when I transferred to secondary, I commenced dry-hopping immediately. So, it's been one week in secondary, and dry-hopping the whole time. Should I bottle now, or wait another week? Will 2 weeks of dryhopping do bad things, especially with the lime-basil leaves in there?

.planned:
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 08-21-2006, 08:02 PM   #5
brackbrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I just brewed that recipe, but my hop schedule was different (forgot to take the recipe with me) and I'm planning on dryhopping when I rack to my secondary. The one other time I dryhopped before, I just dumped the whole hops--no making hop tea or anything. Some people say the "tea" part kills what you want out of the hops, other people say you risk contamination if you don't...anyone want to give me some sage advice on this matter?

Also...what are the basil leaves for?

BREW ON

Old 08-22-2006, 12:55 PM   #6
Evan!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brackbrew
I just brewed that recipe, but my hop schedule was different (forgot to take the recipe with me) and I'm planning on dryhopping when I rack to my secondary. The one other time I dryhopped before, I just dumped the whole hops--no making hop tea or anything. Some people say the "tea" part kills what you want out of the hops, other people say you risk contamination if you don't...anyone want to give me some sage advice on this matter?

Also...what are the basil leaves for?

BREW ON
Hop "tea"? Isn't the idea of dry-hopping that you DON'T put the leaves hot liquid, and thus extract more subtle aromas and flavors through the slow extraction? Weird. Though, I gotta say: getting whole-leaf hops through a carboy neck really sucks. I ended up with a bunch on the basement floor.

The basil leaves are for flavor/aroma. I brewed a cinnamon basil pale ale last month, using cinnamon-basil (basilly-character w/ cinnamon overtones) and sweet italian basil. I didn't dry-hop that batch, I just dumped the basil leaves in at the end of the boil. The beer is amazing...we've gotten so many compliments (it gave one dude a boner, or so he claims) that we're planning on another batch.

This current batch, however, is different---since the lime-basil leaves have less of a basil character and more lime, it's an attempt at a lime IPA, really. It might turn out really weird, but hell, even the weird ones are fun. I boiled the leaves AND am dry-hopping with them. My hope is that it imparts the lime flavors and aromas, but not too much of that vegetable-stemmy character. We shall see. That's one reason I don't want to dryhop for too long.

Anyway, if anyone has an herb garden with basil growing, I urge you to use it in an ale---it really is a great adjunct, right up there with juniper berries.

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 08-22-2006, 01:46 PM   #7
ian

Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan!
Anyway, if anyone has an herb garden with basil growing, I urge you to use it in an ale---it really is a great adjunct, right up there with juniper berries.
Wow! never thought of that. I've got way too much basic growing to eat. Hmmm, might have to give this a try.

Old 08-22-2006, 02:57 PM   #8
brewhead
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I have tried the pantyhose over the siphon before and it just got clogged so what i do is take the middle piece of my wine thief, place it over the nozzle end of my strainer/funnel and siphon through that into the bottling bucket. this way there is no need to fiddle with panty hose or other that might get clogged. sure i know there's prob a couple 100 ppl out there that have never had it clog, but with some of the highly hopped beers that i brew, it has been a problem. using my strainer/funner worked like a charm.

Old 08-22-2006, 04:13 PM   #9
Evan!

Recipes 

Is anyone else having problems creating new threads and accessing the control panel?

.planned:
.primary | bright:
.on tap | kegged:

Old 08-22-2006, 06:04 PM   #10
gruntingfrog
Recipes 

Evan!

I couldn't get into the Subscribed Threads screen, but that's not why I'm posting.

How much basil did you use in that cinnamon basil pale ale? How long did you boil it? 0 minutes? 5 minutes? 10 minutes?

My wife wants me to try some "odd" adjuncts. I tried rosemary. Let me tell you, there is a reason why you can't find a commercial beer with rosemary in it. bleh.

Up Next: Belgian Dubbel, English Pale Ale
Fermenter 1: Blonde Ale Experiment 1 | Fermenter 2: Blonde Ale Experiment 2 | Fermenter 3: Northern English Brown | Fermenter 4: Nothing
Keg 1: Nothing | Keg 2: Nothing | Keg 3: Nothing
Bottled: Nothing

Quick Reply