The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > dry hopping w/pellets

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2007, 01:20 PM   #1
nchomebrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default dry hopping w/pellets

i have racked into my secondary and dry hopped w/pellets about a week ago. was wondering when the hop matter would settle from the top so when i rack to bottle it wouldn't be there. i read on this forum somewhere that if you give it a gentle shake some will settle. i did this, and is working well. the next morning, there is still some there. so i gently shook again. looks like it going to work good, but my question is should i not do this every day? if it doesn't hurt the beer, i will do it everyday so as to clear it up some.
also, i was going to use some irish moss on my next batch to clarify, but if i dry hop, will it not just cloud up again. i'm not opposed to cloudy beer, just not beer that has alot settled in the bottom of my bottle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-27-2007, 01:28 PM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4202 Times on 3059 Posts
Likes Given: 779

When you rack from the secondary to the bottling bucket, you can just leave all that "stuff" from dryhopping behind. I wouldn't shake the secondary- you want the stuff to settle out. If it doesn't fall, I'd just rack underneath it. I've never had a ton of sediment in my bottles, but I usuallly wait to bottle until my beer is pretty clear. I try to use Irish moss in my brews, but forget about half the time!

Old 09-27-2007, 03:54 PM   #3
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts

Just give it a gentle shake, not enough to disturb the sediment, but enough to get the hops to settle. Don't worry about it too much, though. Just rack around it, if you need to.

Dry hopping probably will cloud the beer again, but your beer won't be as cloudy as if you didn't use the Irish moss. It's not the end of the world, either way. If you are that concerned, fine the beer before bottling. That's what I do, since I like a clear beer sooner.

TL

Old 09-27-2007, 04:10 PM   #4
nchomebrew
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

what do you mean by "fine" the beer? filter it somehow?

Old 09-27-2007, 04:23 PM   #5
ohiobrewtus

Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 4

When I dry-hop it's normally for 7-10 days and I always try to give is a couple of shakes a day to get the pellet 'stuff' to fall. It makes it easier to siphon when you get towards the bottom.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:22 PM   #6
bnutting

Recipes 

How about using one of those little cooking bags. The ones with the drawstrings and their made of a mesh cloth material, I think they use them for tea or spices.

I have never dry hopped before and have picked up a few of these (their dirt cheap) and was planning on using them for my Dogfish Head 60min clone.

Would this work better or is it not worth the effort and just be careful when you siphon?

Old 09-27-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchomebrew
what do you mean by "fine" the beer? filter it somehow?
In fancy brewing speak, to "fine" a beer is to clarify it. Usually, one uses a fining agent, such as gelatin, isinglass, or one of several other commercially available agents. I've never heard the term "fining" refer to clarification by filtering, so I don't know if "fining" extends that far. Time also will fine a beer, especially when kept cold.

I've never filtered a beer, and I don't personally know any homebrewers that do. I think filtering isn't practical until you get to a commercial scale, but I've never really looked into it.

TL

Old 09-27-2007, 08:18 PM   #8
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnutting
How about using one of those little cooking bags. The ones with the drawstrings and their made of a mesh cloth material, I think they use them for tea or spices.

I have never dry hopped before and have picked up a few of these (their dirt cheap) and was planning on using them for my Dogfish Head 60min clone.

Would this work better or is it not worth the effort and just be careful when you siphon?
I tried to use those before, and they really are more hassle that help. For one thing, dry hopping depends on getting the surface of your hops against the beer and moving around a little. Those bags tend to restrict flow of beer around the hops, and that defeats the purpose. In the end, I got the best results with the least hassle by tossing the pellets in, naked, shaking the carboy a little to get the pellet stuff to settle, and racking carefully.

TL

Old 09-27-2007, 08:21 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 558 Times on 330 Posts
Likes Given: 198

Try this.

A 1 gallon piant strainer from Lowes ($1.50) wrapped around the end of your racking cane. Use a small zip tie to fasten it on.

Works for me every time I dry hop with pellets (which is rarely now cuz I use whole hops).

hopstopper_1.jpg

hopstopper_2.jpg

hopstopper_3.jpg

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Old 09-27-2007, 09:51 PM   #10
Beerrific

Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher
Try this.

A 1 gallon piant strainer from Lowes ($1.50) wrapped around the end of your racking cane. Use a small zip tie to fasten it on.

Works for me every time I dry hop with pellets (which is rarely now cuz I use whole hops).
I have done this as well (copied BierMuncher). Works great.

Quick Reply