Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Dry Hopping vs Late Boil Addition

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
Joeywhat
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Dry Hopping vs Late Boil Addition

Looking for opinions on adding flavor/aroma hops near the end of the boil/at flameout, or by dry hopping.

I'm looking to add an ounce of Saaz to my recipe purely for flavor and aroma. I'm already adding a half ounce of cascade over the last twenty minutes of my boil. Will I benefit more from adding the hops during the boil or dry hopping in the keg for a week before priming? Adding these to the boil will be a little easier for me, but will dry hopping yield more desirable results?

Old 01-29-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
Looking for opinions on adding flavor/aroma hops near the end of the boil/at flameout, or by dry hopping.

I'm looking to add an ounce of Saaz to my recipe purely for flavor and aroma. I'm already adding a half ounce of cascade over the last twenty minutes of my boil. Will I benefit more from adding the hops during the boil or dry hopping in the keg for a week before priming? Adding these to the boil will be a little easier for me, but will dry hopping yield more desirable results?
BYO will give you all you need to know: http://www.byo.com/stories/recipes/a...ing-techniques

As for my opinion, I would say at the saaz at flameout.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-30-2010, 01:21 PM   #3
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

You get different extraction and evaporation profiles, so it's hard to compare. However, dry hopping is much more common than flame-out additions and my experience is the closer you dry hop to kegging/bottling, the better.

I'll add that without an aroma add around 5 minutes, dry hopping won't fix a beer.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-30-2010, 01:34 PM   #4
MVKTR2
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 19

For me, I've found two things to be true about hop additions. FWH adds more flavor than 20 min additions and dry-hopping adds more aroma & flavor to a lesser degree than 5-0 min additions. That's just my experience.

If you want subtle, add during boil or at flame-out. If you want aroma/flavor dry-hop. Aroma is a HUGE part of what we taste, thus a pale ale without a huge malt backbone with 3 oz. of dry-hops will seem as hoppy as an IPA while an IPA with a very small amount or no dry-hopping will seem more like an APA. I'm not saying that's a rule, just a generality and I'm saying it will 'seem' because of perception based on the 'hoppiness' of said beer. Hope that helps in some way.

Schlante,
Phillip

"Perhaps wisdom for me is understanding how truely small I am, and that there is no smug self centered moment of clarity when there is so much more to learn" Anthony Bourdain

Quick Reply