Dry Hopping time length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuber

Reaction score
I currently have my double IPA dry hopping with about 6oz of hops and have been for about 5 days. I'm going to check on the beer today but I don't have time to bottle it. Should I leave the hop bag in and continue to dry hop if i'm not gonna be able to bottle it for another week or should I pull the hop bag out? If I pull it out will it affect the aroma negatively between now and bottling time? If I leave it in for what would be 12 days will I get that "grassy" note people have mentioned?

Let the voting begin. .......

I'd leave it. It can take 10 days or more to get maximum fkavors from the hops. If circulation is restricted in the bag, it takes longer to extract the oils.

I try to setup my dry hop so that I am cold crashing to bottle 5-7 days after putting the dry hops in.

I'd probably just go ahead and leave the hops in the situation you're in. Possibly lower the temp if you have a fermentation freezer or whatever.

I've dry hopped anywhere from 4 days to 2 weeks. I prefer 2 weeks for a stronger aroma, but have yet to pull grassy flavors. If you go longer than that, yeah you might start to get that, but in your situation, 12 days should suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Decided to just leave the hops in. Thanks everyone for your opinions on this!

Back